Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
8 but only 6 are open to tourists.

I still haven't been Moloka'i
I thought I read that Lanai shut down all their tourist operations. I think the whole island is owned by Dole. I've been to the major four and visited Moloka'i in 1978. Flew over in a little Piper type plane and the pilot was also in charge of luggage. Landed on the same little dirt runway that the Aloha and Hawaiian Air inter-island planes used.

Got there too late to book the famous mule ride down to the leper colony but the guy said if we hiked down he'd meet us at the trails end. We jogged down a steep switch back trail and there he is in some 1950's touring car pretty much rusted out. He was at one time the police chief and after his term the new guy painted a 20 foot red strip at the little air strip and gave him a ticket for parking there. Went back to his place and he showed us all the stuff he'd scavenged on the beach. During the winter the surf is so rough that boats cannot bring supplies. Drove us back to the trail and we much more slowly ascended towards the top in the ever increasing darkness along the sheer cliff. Avoiding mule crap all the way up! A couple of months later I'm watching PBS, back when it was an educational station, and there he was being interviewed!!

The island is like 20 miles long by 3 miles wide. We were probably 20% of the tourists that day as we kept running into the same people at every little hidden waterfall and beach spot. Being that we couldn't afford the the luxury $10 lunches we ate all our meals at the only fast food place on the island, a Dairy Queen!! Always served by the same guy and always greeted as "cousin"! I totally imagine it the exact same way 30 years later. Ok, the clerk is prolly the manager now.

Slept right on the beach and woke up at about 2:00am because there were a brazillion stars in the sky. I grew up in rural Indiana and Kentucky and spent plenty of time star watching but had never seen so many stars in the sky. It was full!

A great trip all in all. I should go back.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ahah! That explains why the beaches are so darned crowded...

Talk about a cluster f*** cloisterphobia...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How the **** could you enjoy that!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Pretty obvious. With that many people, its a given that you'd have a hottie in a string bikini within 10' of you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #25

Ya right. More like the screaming of thousands of children.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Trust me Waikiki doesn't look anything like this most days.

In fact it is been a pretty lousy summer especially for Maui. August hotel bookings are way down. Despite the high air fares, I think Sept/Oct will have some real bargain on Hawaii vactions.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:

In fact it is been a pretty lousy summer especially for Maui. August hotel bookings are way down. Despite the high air fares, I think Sept/Oct will have some real bargain on Hawaii vactions.
We keep putting off booking the lodging for our December trip to Maui. The prices keep going down each time we look.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #28

Quote:

I'm on vacation in Maui now - we got a very nice 1br/1ba at an ocean front complex w/beautifully landscaped grounds (our condo's not ocean front , but we do have a nice full ocean view) for $100 a night (internet special)

Haven't been to Maui before, but there certainly seem to be no crowds at all right now at beaches, condos, restaurants, etc. Everybody around here says tourism is "really" down.

We're not ones to sit in a resort hotel, sip Mai-Tais, & only go out for restaurants & tours. We get out-and-about quite a bit when on vacation.

Can't judge as to the veracity of it , but local small business folks tell me big-money interests are buying all the real estate up & using political influence to essentially drive a lot of the smaller operators (stores, hotels, older condo units, activities) out via new zoning, permit requirements, taxes, red-tape, etc and Maui will be more "exclusive" in the future - only for the more wealthy visitors.

Spent last week on Big Island which I seemed to like much better in terms of atmosphere & people. We stayed in Waikiki 8 years ago & it was a zoo IMO.

I have found the prices of groceries & consumer goods here to be OK considering where we are, a bit more than the mainland but not outrageously so. Activities are priced too high IMHO- $100 per person to do anything. The price of real estate though seems way out of line. We are planning a somewhat modest ER & but for the price of real estate we could afford to live here.

The price of scuba diving is really high here - $130 per person for a 2-tank boat dive (using your own equip - $30 more to rent theirs), whereas Key Largo (a pricey place itself) is only about $75. The diving is good here, but certainly no better than the Keys & the Keys probably have better diving in a lot of ways.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post

Can't judge as to the veracity of it , but local small business folks tell me big-money interests are buying all the real estate up & using political influence to essentially drive a lot of the smaller operators (stores, hotels, older condo units, activities) out via new zoning, permit requirements, taxes, red-tape, etc and Maui will be more "exclusive" in the future - only for the more wealthy visitors.

The price of real estate though seems way out of line.
This will happen to all resort areas of Hawaii. Everybody will be able to be a wealthy visitor, just for fewer days. It's already happening in Vegas, just a little more artificially controlled.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Talk about a cluster f*** cloisterphobia...
This is not Hawaii! I'm thinking South of France or South America.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
This will happen to all resort areas of Hawaii. Everybody will be able to be a wealthy visitor, just for fewer days. It's already happening in Vegas, just a little more artificially controlled.
Don't be in such a rush to be like Vegas. Last month I stayed in a hotel room that last year would have cost me $300 for $69 a night.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Pretty obvious. With that many people, its a given that you'd have a hottie in a string bikini within 10' of you.
I was hoping for 10" because you know...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #33
gone traveling

Oahu home prices hold as sales fall - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):

Median house price down 3% and condos down just 1.5% OFF record gains. And 52 days for a house to sell and 42 for a condo! Better snap up these bargains now. Can't imagine how high prices will get when the hoax is revealed!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I was hoping for 10" because you know...
I give up. Close enough for chloroform?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I give up. Close enough for chloroform?
Well, I wouldn't dare use chloroform, not on such a crowded public beach.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

And just think everyone on that beach can afford a 100 million dollar condo! Amazing!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Well, I wouldn't dare use chloroform, not on such a crowded public beach.
Just checking to see if you're a rookie or a pro.
The rich get richer
Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #38
gone traveling

The rich get richer

Interesting that although home values in "rich" areas are only up 5%-12% that the actual net worths grew 18% to 65% and although median home prices dropped less than 6% in less affluent areas their net worth dropped 13%-32%.

Highest gains and losses among Hawaii’s 50 wealthiest ZIP Codes, 2007 to 2008
Average Net Worth

Who gained

Aina Haina-Niu Valley, Oahu: +65 percent
Princeville, Kauai: +56 percent
Hawaii Kai-Portlock, Oahu: +47 percent
Kailua, Oahu: +43 percent
Kilauea, Kauai: +26 percent
Kaimuki-Kahala, Oahu: +24 percent
Honomu, Big Island: +24 percent
Waimanalo, Oahu: +22 percent
Holualoa, Big Island: +19 percent
Paia, Maui: +18 percent

Who lost

Kahuku, Oahu: -32 percent
Waikoloa, Big Island: -25 percent
Kealakekua, Big Island: -25 percent
Kaaawa, Oahu: -24 percent
Kalaheo, Kauai: -20 percent
Kalihi, Oahu: -18 percent
Salt Lake, Oahu: -17 percent
Ewa Beach, Oahu: -16 percent
Lihue, Kauai: -14 percent
Kapolei-Makakilo, Oahu: -13 percent
Mililani, Oahu: -13 percent

Median Home Values

Who gained

Captain Cook, Big Island: +13 percent
Kamuela, Big Island: +12 percent
Holualoa, Big Island: +12 percent
Waikoloa, Big Island: +10 percent
Kailua-Kona, Big Island: +9 percent
Kealakekua, Big Island: +7 percent
Hakalau, Big Island: +7 percent
Honomu, Big Island: +7 percent
Honokaa, Big Island: +6 percent
Waimanalo, Oahu: +5 percent

Who lost
Eleele, Kauai: -10 percent
Kahului, Maui: -6 percent
Wailuku, Maui: -6 percent
Paia, Maui: -5 percent
Lihue, Kauai: -5 percent
Kihei, Maui: -5 percent
Maunaloa, Molokai: -4 percent
Hawaii Kai-Portlock, Oahu: -3 percent
Kahuku, Oahu: -3 percent
Kaimuki, Oahu: -3 percent
Moanalua, Oahu: -3 percent
Kalaheo, Kauai: -3 percent
Haleiwa, Oahu: -3 percent

Source: ESRI
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

BOH economist Paul Brewbaker recently gave a talk on the Hawaii housing market. See this video . His talk is full of interesting facts, statistics, and historical prospective.