He said "You're what, 64?" - I answered I'll be 62 in July.

I was happy when I was working and I guess I'm happy retired. I think it's more my disposition than the environment.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I went out to dinner with one of my ex-employees that worked for me for many years. Super sharp guy. He is 63 and he was laid off about a year and a half ago. I was not surprised at his boredom and discontent in retirement. He loved coming into work. High energy guy. Didn't really have any hobbies that I know of so I kind of could have predicted his outcome. He was drinking pretty heavily so not sure if he was really serious but he asked me if I would be interested in opening a bar with him so he could have something to do. Not really feeling the bar thing since I am usually in bed lowering my eyelids around 8:30 most nights.

Love all the replies here.

For most, work has a way of governing your worldview. You wake up, dress up, rush to make coffee, fight the traffic, make it on time, sit behind the desk, keep user policy in mind while using the computer, put up with shenanigans, etc. Work has laid out the path for you. At the end of the day, you're exhausted.

Today, I wake up anytime, read what I want, step outside, breath the air, admire the beautiful blue sky and the morning sunlight and I'm still in my pjs. I go in the house, enjoy a cup of coffee, access what I want on the computer, kiss the beautiful wife as she walks out the door grumbling that she would like to be in my shoes soon. As soon as she's out the door, turn the music on, listen to Pharrell Williams and dance the morning away. Yeah, this is my world now. Anyone want to join me for a hike later this morning? And at end of the day, I'm exhilarated. "AGAIN, AGAIN!" as my grandson would say.

Now a days, it doesn't take much to make me happy because I realize my days are numbered. I can just look at my 3 yo jovial grandson and we laugh our heads off. I'm working hard on being like him. :)

When I worked, I worked at being satisfied for a job well done. Now, I just work at enjoying every moment in any circumstances. "Attitude determines your altitude", someone has said.

Last edited:
I went out to dinner with one of my ex-employees that worked for me for many years. Super sharp guy. He is 63 and he was laid off about a year and a half ago. I was not surprised at his boredom and discontent in retirement. He loved coming into work. High energy guy. Didn't really have any hobbies that I know of so I kind of could have predicted his outcome. He was drinking pretty heavily so not sure if he was really serious but he asked me if I would be interested in opening a bar with him so he could have something to do. Not really feeling the bar thing since I am usually in bed lowering my eyelids around 8:30 most nights.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that going into the bar business with a guy who may have a drinking problem is probably a bad idea.

Some people need to work to keep occupied or feel useful, I visit this site because I want to get useful advice for my early retirement, I dont think boredom will bring me my problem.

He was drinking pretty heavily so not sure if he was really serious but he asked me if I would be interested in opening a bar with him so he could have something to do.

That seems a lot to ask of someone just to secure your own personal entertainment. If he brings it up again suggest a job as a bartender would occupy his time without you having to invest any money.

62 and retired for 28 years and my best advice is to practice having children as often as possible.

He's 84. Maybe "I wish I was back at work" is his version of the dementia trope, "I want to go home," which I've read really means, "I want to be the way I used to be."

He's 84. Maybe he didn't know he'd live this long so it's about "don't retire too early".

But he also could've died at 66, or 74; I wonder what he'd say just before that moment? Maybe he'd say "retire as soon as you can!"

I had a close friend who retired at 63 and died six months later. His thoughts: "and I worked all my life....some retirement eh?"

I knew when I retired at age 58 that I would want to do some p.t. work. About 8 months after retiring that is what I did and 4 years later it is the perfect world for me. Of course I can work from home in my pj's or while traveling, etc. For me it's the best of both worlds.

We all are different. I always find it interesting how often we don't take what others say as true representations of their feelings and instead come up with stories of what they "really mean" based on our own feelings. We each need to understand what drives us personally and make decisions for our own lives with that knowledge. ER is great for some of us. But maybe the wrong decision for others.

+1, well said. For me personally, retiring early (in my mid 50s) has been WONDERFUL.

He was sitting across from me in physical therapy…. It was clear he wasn't enjoying his retirement. I didn't give it too much thought until later in the day when I heard a 'retired' caller to one of my favorite radio shows echo those same sentiments. Double yikes…. I must admit to a bit of worry when I hear all the negativity from retirees.
I wouldn't worry because of the negativity expressed by a couple of strangers; not much of a sample size, and in any case who knows what different circumstances they face(d)?

FWIW, I've been FIRE'd for > three years and could't be happier about it. Hope that provides some balance to the above.

Back
Top Bottom