Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
Just because an org is non-profit, doesn't mean it's immune from corruption, or will always pursue policyholder's or the public's best interest..

Exhibit A: Roy Heimburger, former CEO of Missouri Blue Cross/Blue Shield, who was involved in a very shady real estate deal with BCBS's headquarters and giving very generous % in the deal to a real estate developer. Fired from his position, then indicted by the Feds, and later plead "no contest".
I don't trust my BCBS through my individual plan (or any of them), but for now we have a good business relationship. They charge me little for my premium and I give them no bills to pay in return. I will pay them a little less than $900 in premiums. I get a $930 tax deduction through HSA, and they just gave me a $27 refund thanks to the new Act. So having health insurance made me about $75 profit. I have a feeling this wont be happening much come 2014.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been traveling and just picked up the mail today. Our plan for the four of us is covered by Obamney Care on purpose as we chose not to keep it grandfathered. Our premiums went up a little of 4% this year instead of the usual 12% for the last five. We also got a check equivalent to two months of last years premiums. That means our rates actually went down this year in the amount we pay! That really helps this small business owner!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

BCBS sent me a refund of $344 for 2011, about what my monthly premium was before I went on medicare at the end of the year.

Also in yesterday's mail was a notice from the TX high risk pool saying DW's premium was going down (yes, DOWN) by 6% beginning in August. The reason (my bold):

Quote:
Pool rates are periodically adjusted to maintain rates at twice the average premium rate charged by insurers offering individual health insurance coverage in Texas, as required by Texas law. Since the average market premium rate has decreased recently, the Pool Board is able to reduce Pool premium rates.
Wonders never cease...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BCBS sent me a refund of $344 for 2011, about what my monthly premium was before I went on medicare at the end of the year.

Also in yesterday's mail was a notice from the TX high risk pool saying DW's premium was going down (yes, DOWN) by 6% beginning in August. The reason (my bold):

Wonders never cease...
This is good news.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had received a rebate from one company but not the other one I was with for part of 2011. I just received a rebate from the other company. It was not for very much, only 1% of the premiums I paid to them for the part of the year I was with them. Still, better than nothing.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #26

BCBS Florida, is now Florida Blue. No rebate because costs were under the 80% limit. No notification either way, unless we missed the mail.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #27

I realized that I will have to pay taxes on these refunds because I included in my itemized deductions for my 2011 income tax return those health insurance premiums (and was well above the 7.5% of AGI cutoff as well as the standard deduction. This is the same principle used for state and local tax refunds and rebates if you included the original amount when you itemized your deductions in a prior year's return.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote