Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The other place that it commonly shows up is when trying to carry on a conversation in a hot tub with the jets on.
In that situation I'm usually able to figure it out from the context without actually having to parse the articulated syllables...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was "fired" from being the #1 nozzleman because I could not hear the guy immediately behind me relaying orders...and kept looking over to the on scene leader for his hand signals. Not good at hearing if I can't see the speaker BF is as "deaf" - but I think he keeps the TV a bit too loud - he attributes his hearing loss to an accident as a kid - and like most civilian men, have never had an audiogram! At least I know my 20-50 db (depends on the freq) loss is for real
Old 10-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unless it is anatomical or the result of infection I suspect that hearing deficits in young/middle aged adults is the result of high noise environments. "High noise environments" are what us old folks call loud concerts or proximity to boom boxes.

Invest in hearing aid manufacturers, the market will be huge!!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Trombone Al

Quote:
But last night at a crowded coffee shop (very noisy with talking people), I could barely make out what my (softspoken) friends were saying. Other people seemed to be understanding fine. I wonder how much of this is lack of practice (I'm not a noisy place person). Or perhaps I'm just less tolerant of not being able to hear every word.

Al, I'm the same way. I can hear the faucet driping in two rooms over, and the dogs barking down the street a couple of blocks away. I can hear the heat in the desert crackling the wood of the trees and the wind swirling the leaves down the sidewalks.

I have a funny story to relate quickly -- at one point Billy complained to me that I wasn't listening to him, and I was complaining to him that he was mumbling. We thought we would get this figured out once and for all, so I had my hearing checked at the hospital in Chiang Mai some years back.

When I arrived, the check in assistant, the nurse and the doctor himself all asked me why I was there. I told them to have my hearing checked. "My husband doesn't think I hear him." Every one of them snickered knowingly. I thought I was onto something here.

I took a very sophisticated test inside a hearing chamber with me pressing the buttons whenever I heard sounds - high, low or otherwise. I was really making tracks there, pressing every other second... then there came a short period where there was nothing and I thought to myself "Well, this wouldn't be a test if I wasn't being tested,right?" then the sounds came back and I went clicking away.

Got into the doc's office and he said to me: "Strange. Very strange. If I had to explain it to you, I would say that in an orchestra you could hear the sweetness of violins and the drama of the base. In a forest you can hear the birds sing and the waters fall down the hill. But there is a range.,.." and he showed me on the chart where the test showed I severely dropped off the cliff "where you do not hear."

So I looked at him square in the face and said "You mean to tell me I can hear everything in the world except my husband's voice?"

And he said "Yes Ma'am."

We both stared at each other as I allowed that to sink in... a combination of humor and hurt...

I asked him what I should do and he told me to turn up the TV and ask Billy to simply repeat himself...

Billy has really been a trouper about this. Thanks for the link on the lip reading. I'll check it out!

Huh? what?!

Nords
Quote:

And I can still hear what my teenager is thinking... especially if she's not listening!
I love it!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have heard of and observed situations (including my parents) where older married men do not hear most things said in a woman's voice.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I have heard of and observed situations (including my parents) where older married men do not hear most things said in a woman's voice.
Dammit, Khan, you're giving away all the guy secrets! That's called "active listening"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I call it "selective listening"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote