Join Early Retirement Today

Heat/Air Maintenance Agreements
Old 03-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heat/Air Maintenance Agreements

Are these worth paying for if you dont know much about your central air system? The extent of my knowledge is that I know to change the filters once a month, and I get the leaves and grass off the condensor on the units outside.

The folks i use want like 180/year for 2 inspections per year to maintenance my system (I have dual ac/dual furnaces). Its less for one system.

I did get it last year, and it seemed like my bills did drop some, but I dont think the units had been serviced for years. I'm thinking maybe skip every other year?

I was just wondering if i can get by cheaper on this. Should i just go buy a book that will teach me how to maintenance them myself? If its complicated, i wouldnt want to do it.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Heat/Air Maintenance Agreements
Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #2

My experience with maintenance agreements was that the best part was that I got priority for service calls. If the weather in the spring suddenly hit 85 degrees and my AC didn't work I got a tech that day. Without a service agreement your request goes into a different queue and it could be days before you get the system fixed. Do you want to pay the premium to get that service? It's up to you.

Grumpy
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #3

I faithfully change my filter every month year around. And have a maintenance visit to check the ducts, air conditioner and heater every 5 years or so. I have only bought new or relatively new homes lately, and have never needed any other service.

I wouldn't buy an agreement unless I was buying an older home and then would request a 1 year warantee service with the home purchase. Other than that, I've had to repair rarely.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote