Join Early Retirement Today

Help, 88 YO Mom wants to play FB games.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help, 88 YO Mom wants to play FB games.

I want to be a good son, I signed up to Skype with my east coast Mom. Now Mom wants me to play Facebook games with her. Should I just humor her and try it, and waste another part of my life on the internet. She has as many as 5 games going with my other siblings and friends, so it is not like she is lonely.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for her! She is using social media to spend some fun time with you. Now play in the sandbox and enjoy your Mom's company while you can.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Now play in the sandbox and enjoy your Mom's company while you can.
+1

You can limit yourself to a couple of games at a time and not take up much time.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

I think you're lucky. I was never able to get my mom to even grasp the concept of the internet at that age. All she could manage was playing a Scrabble game on the computer (not online). It would have made me very happy to have her as active with it as yours is. Count your blessings, and just play as much or as little as you like.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good for her! She is using social media to spend some fun time with you. Now play in the sandbox and enjoy your Mom's company while you can.

+1 At 88, she may not be with you for long.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

She sounds like the kind of person I would love to meet!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True. Your Mom won't be around forever. You don't have to go overboard with it, but I would play a little to make her happy.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So says grasshopper:

"Help, 88 YO Mom wants to play FB games. "

"I want to be a good son, I signed up to Skype with my east coast Mom. Now Mom wants me to play Facebook games with her. Should I just humor her and try it, and waste another part of my life on the internet. She has as many as 5 games going with my other siblings and friends, so it is not like she is lonely. "

+++

So says redduck:

Sounds like playing internet games with your mom has the potential to be a good experience (and rewarding as well). And, if you should die before she does, she may feel a real sadness that she didn't have the opportunity to play with you in the last few years of your life.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe she doesn't want to hurt your feelings by not inviting you to join in the fun she's having with other family members and friends? She sounds amazing.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
She has as many as 5 games going with my other siblings and friends, so it is not like she is lonely.
I wouldn't know, but it seems she wants to spend some more time interacting with you, or for you to spend some more time interacting with her, while she still can. If FB games aren't your thing (and I can understand that), how 'bout making her some kind of counter-offer of something else you'd be interested in/willing to do to interact with her?

Tyro
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I find the on-line games boring, but wish my Mother were around to play them with! She liked playing card games, etc. on the computer in standalone mode (the online games weren't available before her death).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I want to be a good son, I signed up to Skype with my east coast Mom. Now Mom wants me to play Facebook games with her. Should I just humor her and try it, and waste another part of my life on the internet. She has as many as 5 games going with my other siblings and friends, so it is not like she is lonely.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you should go for it to spend time with your mom, but I wouldn't be surprised if she just wants you to log on quickly once a day and 'send' her something on there. Most Facebook games have a limit to how much you can play, which increases based on the numbers of friends you can convince to play too, unless you're willing to spend money to do it.

So you can give it a shot and either spend time with her, or spend five seconds a day, or whatever the refresh period, to send her energy, or a gift, or whatever she needs in the game, depending on just why she's inviting you. Whichever way it goes, neither of those options seems too terrible.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote