Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help a Technophobe???
Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Interesting!

I just connected to the wireless link and was looking at speed and signal strength values and suddenly it dropped out. I wonder if I got caught.

Similarly last night I was viewing an undressing woman at

http://www.argenthotel.com/index.cfm

when suddenly the curtains got closed by her husband.

Life rough on us old perverts
Might have been her internet connection you were using.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You know the original question. How do you get cable TV to show on a Front Projector TV like an Optoma 739. It seems beyond 99% of the planets knowledgebase.

I have been in Comp USA , Best Buy and a couple of Circuit City's and nobody has a clue as to how you can take cable directly from the wall and show it over a small front projector. Several salespeople did not even know what they were.

Anyone have a clue how to get a signal from RCN cable to show on an Optoma 739 projector. I've bought all kinds of supposed solutions and can't get a picture.

Seems I need a 57 inch LCD TV that I then port thru this little box. Great piece of technology.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

One relatively easy solution would be to purchase an inexpensive VCR. Cable into VCR, composite video or s-video out of VCR, into projector.

Or, try something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...571&CatId=1430
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O38-1076.jpg (24.9 KB, 31 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think OAP is using a laptop computer...no video in on most laptops to display on the lappies internal monitor.

I did use something similar (a viewsonic vb50) to sort-of line double and clean up a cable tv RF input to a 42" plasma screen with a VGA in....gosh about 4 years ago. Worked pretty well.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Could've sworn he said...

Quote:
You know the original question. How do you get cable TV to show on a Front Projector TV like an Optoma 739.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh...the link talked about showing the tv feed on a computer screen. Lost the thread there...my bad.

Or....was it just SEMANTICS?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Some antics... :P

I would note that the projector has a VGA input, though frankly, if we're not talking hi-def input, a cheapo Walmart VCR is the poor man's answer... 8)

Old 06-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #28

OK,
Here's the latest:

I have an ATI TV tuner in my USB2 on a Sony Laptop. *I can find no way to get the VGA signal back out from the Sony and port it to the Optoma. *Sony manual says the BIOS will find which ever monitor is in the first port and use it. *Well, that is the Laptop Screen itself. *During bootup, the VGA out shows thru the Optoma Projector until the desktop appears the no signal and a lot of searching.

A DVD or VCR won't work for TV (no tuning) and the small external TV tuner boxes have almost no outputs. *They seem designed just to get a TV signal into a computer.

I had 4 COMPUSA Business Center salespersons ( funny thing was the diversity, black guy, Japanese guy, Hispanic girl and old white guy) and not one of them could come up with a solution.

This has got to be doable. *Probably gonna need a Haupauge video card with s-video out and such. *But my computer will not accept that card.

Time to try www.sharkyforums.com
Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Two points:

My VCR does have a tuner, though the DVD doesn't.

When I plugged a monitor into the VGA on my laptop, viola, the same thing displayed on both screens...

Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

This aint gonna be easy.

Well, one way is. You should have a "function" or "FN" key on your keyboard, probably between the alt and ctrl key. You'll see that it may be a different color or have different color text on it. Some of your "function keys" (f1, f2) and perhaps other keys may show other symbols in that same color. One of them, usually F5, should show what looks like a pair of screens...one dark and one white. Holding down the FN key and then pressing F5 repeatedly should walk you through laptop monitor on/external off, laptop and external on, external only on, then back to laptop only.

There is probably also something in your computers display properties (right click on the desktop, choose properties, click 'settings' tab and then advanced) that allows you to setup a 'theater' mode, or its something in the ati tuners software that lets you set up the theater mode or tv output mode. Many current laptop graphics chips can do a basic 'dual screen output' where the tv stuff goes out the video out port on the back of your laptop while the main laptop screen still shows your windows desktop.

I dont know what sony uses for a display chip, or anything about ATI's tv tuner s/w, but you're looking for something that says 'theater mode' or 'dual screen' or 'dual output' modes. Note that the tuner, the projector/monitor and everything else should be plugged in and turned on before looking as sometimes the software will only let you manipulate the settings while it sees the actual hardware hooked up and powered on.

Its a little rocket science...once you find it and enable the tv output to the 'external monitor' or 'second screen', it should work great.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
This aint gonna be easy.... Holding down the FN key and then pressing F5 repeatedly should walk you through laptop monitor on/external off, laptop and external on, external only on, then back to laptop only.

Its a little rocket science...once you find it and enable the tv output to the 'external monitor' or 'second screen', it should work great.
On my Dell Latitude it is F8. You would think laptop makers would have standardized this long ago. I can't begin to count the number of times I had to help someone sort this out for a presentation. It seems like no one uses the same approach -- some you just toggle the function key, others you have to hold the FN key while toggling the number function key, some show the little screens, some say crt/lcd, some don't say anything, and some just don't seem to work unless you are part of some secret society.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I saw a photo of a sony keyboard and not only is it not f5, I cant even recognize the symbols they used.

Oh well, OAP's Sony user manual or sony tech support oughta be able to tell him which one it is, and how to turn on the cinema/theater/secondary display, or ati tech support should have some idea.

That is, once "Bob" in india figures out that he's not going to solve this with a script and bumps OAP to second level support...
Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #33

OAP, I've got a stooopid question for you.* *Did you get a cable box when you had the cable installed?* * Sounds like you just ordered their internet service and didn't get a cable converter box.

Call RCN, ask them for their DVR box, and stop trying to jump through so many hoops.* *The box will have video out for your projector.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
OAP, I've got a stooopid question for you.* *Did you get a cable box when you had the cable installed?* * Sounds like you just ordered their internet service and didn't get a cable converter box.

Call RCN, ask them for their DVR box, and stop trying to jump through so many hoops.* *The box will have video out for your projector.
Ding Ding Ding...

You need a tuner to convert cable-ese to Monitor-ish.* RCN should rent you a box.* Or, as HFWR as said...use a VCR for the converter from cable through the VCR and output via coax or RCA to the monitor.* A S-VHS unit will also come with a S-Video output to the monitor and that should work fine.*

---------------------------RCN Cable----------------> S-VHS BOX----> S-Video OUT----> Projector IN...........Done.

Unless for some reason you want the signal to ALSO go through your Sony.* Then you need more stuff...aka TV tuner card with S-Video output.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is, once "Bob" in india figures out that he's not going to solve this with a script and bumps OAP to second level support...
Reboot, reload the software, please hold... :P

Old 06-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #36

Called RCN, asked for DVR box and the want $13/mo bringing my total to $102/mo. I usually watch TV about 20 minutes a day. News or sports.

Wow, never realized how different a Sony is from other computers. Even the Quick Start card with the Optoma Projector lists the keys for every brand know to mankind and then says "Check your Sony documentation".

Dell here I come. XPS 1700. Red one.

Thanks for saving me from going ballistic.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Called RCN, asked for DVR box and the want $13/mo bringing my total to $102/mo.* I usually watch TV about 20 minutes a day. News or sports.
What, no pr0n?* *Send it back.

Quote:
Dell here I come.* XPS 1700. Red one.
Nice choice.* *I have the less garish lower-priced version of that model.* *You'll dig it.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #38

wab,
I've got all these young chicks to impress here and that candy apple red should get me noticed

That baby costs some serious cash and maybe I'll get a gold tooth to display.

The RCN guy said the technicians will have my projector working before they leave.