Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

HELP! Any advice for Plantar Fasciitis?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

HELP! Any advice for Plantar Fasciitis?

Hello Everyone,

From time to time, I suffer from plantar fasciitis. This last flare up started this past Saturday. My left foot started to hurt so badly, I could not stand or walk on that foot. Had to resort to using crutches for 3 days. Starting with this morning, I can walk again. Left heel still achy, but the sharp, tearing pain is gone. So I am glad the Ibuprofen, icing, resting, and stretching all seemed to have helped.

BTW, I already tried prescription orthotics and they did not help. I tried over the counter sole inserts, i.e, Dr. Scholl's, and Superfeet, etc. Dr. Scholl's heel inserts help a little bit. Superfeet insoles actually gave me more pain!

Does anyone on this Forum have/had plantar fasciitis? What seems to help you? Please share any tips/advice. Thank you in advance. I am anxious about the next flare-up! What if it flares up right before, or worse, during travel!

Have a great day in ER Everyone and I look forward to hearing from any fellow plantar fasciitis sufferers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There was an excellent thread started last year by @Omni550 on this topic. I don't have access to it right now.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stretching/exercise. I suffered from PF several years ago, letting it go way too long before seeking medical help. Exercise/stretching and rolling foot over frozen water bottle/juice cans eventually cured it. When it flared up a couple of months ago, I immediately googled it and did the recommended exercises...gone in a few days.

I also have other foot pains and find consistent daily stretching to eliminate the pain. Also rolling foot over lacrosse ball! Nothing else works for me.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

I had it, did a lot of research during that time, and pretty much came to the conclusion that nothing really works except time. It took about 9 months to finally disappear.

Probably the one relief I got was using a big wooden rolling pin on the floor and rolling my foot over it. A tennis or golf ball worked as well. Hurts like hell but helps. I know others swear that going sugar-free/keto diet can help as well. I bought several items on amazon but they were probably more of a psychological fix than anything: special foot socks and a contraption you attach to your foot and pull up on to stretch. I wouldn't waste your money. I think if you do a search you'll find a number of threads here on this topic.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Do an advanced search for "Plantar" in the thread title. You'll find plenty of helpful information.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There was an excellent thread started last year by @Omni550 on this topic. I don't have access to it right now.
You've got a great memory, Dtail. Here it is...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nfo-93985.html

BTW, I have not had any recurrence nor flareup since applying his protocol a year ago. I can walk barefoot on the beaches in Florida or around the house with no issues. And for daily walking, I don't use any orthotics, special shoes, etc. (It's as though PF never happened.)

Best of luck, Retire2013. I hope you find relief.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I was told calf stretches are the important part, and they've definitely helped. But I'll be looking into omni's site as it looks like they have an even more in depth program. Mine flared up last Thursday, in my left foot for the first time.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
I was told calf stretches are the important part, and they've definitely helped. But I'll be looking into omni's site as it looks like they have an even more in depth program. Mine flared up last Thursday, in my left foot for the first time.
+1 for calf stretches. Do them when you first step out of bed in the morning, and repeat several times throughout the day. I went to a physical therapist who stressed this, as well as never walking around barefoot. I had it bad for two years and tried all the remedies. Its hard to say what actually worked, but I stick with the stretches and only have minor pain (mainly due to tennis and pickleball).
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I got it building a stadium. I got it under control by doing towel stretch and frozen water bottle roll religiously twice a day for 30 days. Now I do the sitting towel stretch a few times a week for 45-60 seconds before getting in shower.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/a...px?hwid=ad1503

Congrats, you also joined the club on now requiring shoe arch supports which will help keep things comfortable.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My wife has severe arthritis on top of her feet. Dr. wants to do a mid foot fusion.

She lives in Alegria hard sole, rocker bottom shoes. And she applies Volteran Gel and lidocaine lotion. CBD oil also helps many people.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have high arches and continually have problems with plantar fasciitis. What I find works best is wearing compression socks that are specifically designed for plantar fasciitis. I wear them at night and am good for the next day. I.buy them from Amazon.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

With my most recent bout with it, one new (to me) item that helps a lot is Copper Fit Balance insoles, bought at the recommendation of the podiatrist I went to see.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Boron and Magnesium(try several). Topical is really good for magnesium. There are groups on FB that will help you with magnesium. One I like is ...root cause protocol. Also reserach the Borax Miracle.
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #14

I believe that doing calf and foot stretches regularly can prevent flareups. I do those as part of my workout. Also, before hopping out of bed in the morning I do several round of ankle twirls, calf stretches, and toe clenches.

The best treatment I found for a flareup is a night splint, which keeps the calf muscle stretched while you sleep. If I ever felt a flareup coming on, I'd start wearing it right away. It's been 11 years since my last one though.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Thank you!
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you. I’ve been rolling my foot over a frozen bottle of water. That seemed to help. And yes, stretching helped too.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #18

Chung Shi shoes or sandals (rocker soles) can help make walking comfortable while you're dealing with it. Suggest trying them on in a comfort shoe specialty store.

There are two types of soles. The smooth rocker was better for me.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is a concurrent thread going.

Try the boot at night it’s uncomfortable to sleep with but works in 6 weeks.

$21.95
FREE One-Day
FREE delivery: Tomorrow
Order within 9 hrs 58 mins Details
Deliver to
In Stock.
Qty:
Qty:1

Add to Cart

Buy Now
Sold by Alpha Medical L.L.C. and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Add gift options
Add to your Dash Buttons
Learn more about Dash Buttons

Add to List

Share 100+ Shares
Other Sellers on Amazon
2 new from $21.95

Alpha Medical Plantar Fascitis Night Splint Heel & Foot Pain; P.F. Brace L4398 (Medium)
Touch the image to zoom in
Alpha Medical Plantar Fascitis Night Splint Heel & Foot Pain; P.F. Brace L4398 (Medium)
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

What helps me - yoga, calf stretches, massage balls, acupressure, cushy mat in the shower, new shoes or at least new cushions for old shoes, home made soup with lots of beans and veggies (high in magnesium, a muscle relaxant). Really anything that loosens up my foot and calf muscles and avoids pressure on my heal when it is hurting. And not too much dancing or walking at one time to avoid tightening the calf and foot muscles more.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote