Help me buy this Lexus RX

Not the OP's question, but I just bought a new car using Costco's Autobuy program. Easiest and probably the best deal on a new car in my life.

Not the OP's question, but I just bought a new car using Costco's Autobuy program. Easiest and probably the best deal on a new car in my life.

I wish Costco did used cars. Wonder if there are any used car buying programs around?

I can't imagine bargaining for a used car before taking a look at it. You could always look at it on the lot and take it for a drive, leave ("just looking") and call or email back later.

I can't imagine bargaining for a used car before taking a look at it. You could always look at it on the lot and take it for a drive, leave ("just looking") and call or email back later.

I will definitely test drive the car before I finalize the deal. i have seen many 2015 RXs inside and out and even drove a friends so I know that I want this model and year, it is just a matter of finding the right one. When I have gone into dealers before just looking around and took a test drive, afterwards I get harassed by the salesman by phone and mail even after I tell them I am not interested. You cannot test drive unless you give them your drivers license and phone number and then they keep contacting you for months.

We just bought a 2018 CPO Subaru for our son and daughter in law who recently had twins. It was a loaner for the dealership previously and only had 6600 miles on it. It was listed at $24,995 and we got it for $20,600. Ask for at least $5k off from asking price. With new models coming in they’ll be getting a lot of trade ins for their CPO fleet and need to make room. Face to face negotiations will get you a better deal than email. Once you’re in the dealership they want you to leave with a car.

Quick take on Costco. You fill out an online form with what you want. They connect you with a dealer that has or can get that car. You show up at the dealer, show your Costco card. They show you the wholesale price on the car and then take off a preset Costco discount off of that number. In my case they took $900 off invoice which was about $5000 off the MSRP sticker price. No negotiating. No fuss. Left with the car and they even threw in a $50 Amazon card for test driving it on Black Friday.

OP here, maybe I need to join Costco. There is not a Costco in my town so I have never had a membership.

OP here, maybe I need to join Costco. There is not a Costco in my town so I have never had a membership.
I used the Costco price as a bargaining chip - i.e., beat this price or I'll just go with Costco. Get this bouncing between a half dozen dealers and you have a bidding war unless the model you want is in high demand and low supply.

I tried to use the Costco program to buy a new pickup truck last December. Three dealers gave me the "Costco" price which is NOT wholesale, but "Supplier". Offers were about $3000.00 off MSRP at the time when a walk in customer got $6000 - $8000 off the same truck.

Be careful.

Back
Top Bottom