Join Early Retirement Today

Help me find...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Help me find...

A simple keychain recorder.

More often than not, we're starting to forget the little things, like where we left the car in the WalMart Parking lot, or the gound pepper that we were supposed to buy at the market.

So I remember getting one of these simple 10 second recorder/players as a freebie at some health fair... a give away.

So... simple... maybe not so much... Just spent an hour looking on-line and found everthing but!... Not looking for price... just a place to buy...

So Amazon starts out with a $99 five star that does everything but brush your teeth.... and it just goes downhill from there.

So here are the specs... small ... two buttons... record and play... ten to twenty second record time. One message only. Probably under $20.

Don't want! ... extended memory, USB, rechargeable, volume control, interrupt keys, multiple message storage, case or cover, spy camera, high quality sound, earphones or plug in, remote cpntrol, video screen, clock, weather, touch screen, music capabilities, start stop switch, stop watch, pedometer, choice of color or 2 year service contract or even a free return guarantee.

Now, here's where it gets to be fun. Go to Google Image and search for keychain recorders...670,000 results Thousands of pictures and web pages... At least three hundred shapes, colors, designs... maybe more.... Then go to the websites... All Chinese or Japanese... and prices low, beyond belief... anywhere from $.35 to $1... One small detail... you have to buy in quantity from 500 up to many thousands.

All I wanted was a simple short message voice recorder ... two buttons... one 10 to 20 second message... that will fit in my pocket. Hopefully under $20.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could just keep a pencil and paper handy.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a smart phone? There's an app for that.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Something like this? LED Digital Voice Recorder Keychain | eBay
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another amazon choice but more aligned with your specs and much much more reasonable http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-UR-8G...zg_bs_172632_1
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Some ideas -

This one is a company that sells promotional items and looks like they want to sell to businesses only -
Key Chain/ Voice Recorder - RU006 - IdeaStage Promotional Products

From Amazon and an As Seen on TV product although it's only sold in a package of 2 -
http://www.amazon.com/Reminder-Perso...+with+playback

Then there are these and it's hard to say much more than maybe the price is right -
2 in 1 Mini Digital Voice Recorder Dictaphone Rechargeable Recording Pen Keychain Sound Audio Recorder -in Digital Voice Recorder from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Have you hunted around stores like Dollar Tree or Michael's Craft Store? Sometimes they carry a plethora of imported novelty things.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

... and another keychain

Recording Keychain | Braille Superstore
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Thank you all...

When I found the bulk ordering deal @ $.38 each, I thought maybe we could get one for every ER member.... Just imagine... a perfect message taker for only $.38 plus $7.95 shipping.

I kinda like the teardrop braile store offering... can buy 2 and throw in the refrigerator memo taker, and get free shipping.

Problem with most electric memo pads is the options... not good when you're freezing and walking from the parking lot to the store. Oh... and the phone... OMG... checked the options on my emergency phone, and it takes 12 clicks to get to send myself a message, and just as many to listen to it.

On the pencil and paper... ya gotta be kidding.... we're in the electronic age... no more retro stuff for this forward thinker...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What I do is to take a pic of landmarks around where my car is parked with my phone. If I can't find it quickly when I come out of the store I just touch Gallery and look at the picture(s). Works like a dream.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Seriously, the Find My Car app is awesome. We lost our car several times while on vacation and someone suggested this. It has changed my life.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Seriously, the Find My Car app is awesome. We lost our car several times while on vacation and someone suggested this. It has changed my life.

Thank you! I really need this.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote