Help me find the word I'm looking for...PLEASE

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So im watchign the cavs game, and Lebron james is yanked out 3 minutes into it because hes in foul trouble. hes obviously mad, upset, helpless, etc.

My stepdad says" Yeah, its all a head game now for him...hes obviously angry and were gonna see how it affects his game"

Im looking for the way you;d rephrase that sentence (only because its bugging me).... I started to say "It all depends on how he ******'s his frustrations"

The word is sort of like 'internalize', but the opposite...externalize is a word...and its close...but is there a word that means to externalize negativity in a positive manner?

It's more than one word, but how about-----
Not quite ready for primetime

:confused:

channels...

haha channels was the consensus of those around me as i vented my own frustrations, but i dont think thats the one

i give up. i'll deal with 'channels', geez...i dont even care, this game is making me so sick i dont even care! i paid 250 bucks for a plane ticket back to CLEVE on tuesday for the next game....what a waste! i'll try to keep the positive outlook...but if youve seen the game thus far...youll see why its hard

Let's put it back in the OP's sentence:

"It all depends on how he manifests his frustrations"
"It all depends on how he channels his frustrations"

Those seem to work.

"It all depends on how he excercises self control while he acts out (aka personal discipline) his frustrations"

Probably not, at least for me.

"It all depends on how he compartmentalizes his frustrations"

Maybe, but gives me a different meaning than the above, more like he's putting his frustrations in order and locking them away rather than refocusing them.

Remember how Tony Randall used to agonize of points of grammar and syntax? Where is when we need him?

i agree w/ manifests and channels too...

kobe and others have shown that one player cannot carry a team and a young one at that...just cuz they want you to sell some shoes doesn't mean you are there yet - just means they don't want someone else to get you when you eventually do rise to the occasion.

overall i think all these adults are being rather silly in how they focused on lebron since he was in high school, then they get disappointed when he can't perform - but the expectations are so out of line...guess it doesn't help that he bought his own hype too. that's what parents are supposed to be for - but we're seeing that failure in other places too - ie michelle wie

sorry fed - but i like duncan and his team!!!

Let's put it back in the OP's sentence:

"It all depends on how he manifests his frustrations"
"It all depends on how he channels his frustrations"

Those seem to work.

Reflecting on the fact the Cavs are 0-2 and LeBron's performance so far in the championships, my choice would be:

"It all depends on how he looses ... his frustrations"

(I know, I know. It's not over yet...) :)

sublimate is it! the definition reads : : to divert the expression of (an instinctual desire or impulse) from its unacceptable form to one that is considered more socially or culturally acceptable

pretty close....not exact, but the concept is there. im sold

thanks!

Another , more appropriate definition of sublimate, provided by wikipedia, is:

Sublimation is the refocusing of psychic energy (which Sigmund Freud believed was limited) away from negative outlets to more positive outlets. These drives which cannot find an outlet are rechanneled.

you're welcome.

An old fashioned psychological term for handling negative feelings or impulses by translating (or channeling, as some here mentioned) into a more positive or approprite action.

(I'm a psychologist)
:)

kitty

you're welcome.

An old fashioned psychological term for handling negative feelings or impulses by translating (or channeling, as some here mentioned) into a more positive or approprite action.

(I'm a psychologist)
:)

kitty

its funny that i didnt even know i knew the word,but when you wrote it, i knew it was the one! i HATE when that happens to me...i know a lot of obscure words, but words like sublimate are used so little that they are hard to bring to the surface when needed. i feel much better now!

THANKS AGAIN

Back
Top Bottom