Join Early Retirement Today

Help me with a Task program/app
Old 04-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help me with a Task program/app

Sigh. Google finally carried through on its threat to take away functionality in Google Tasks (yet another application Google developed, then trashed). It no longer opens full page, separately from Calendar. It removed the capability of supporting multiple levels of subtasks. I can't see my "notes" (comments) to tasks, which I used to keep track of e.g. dates and content for phone calls concerning certain tasks.

I consider myself a connoisseur of task programs. I've been searching for the perfect one since good old Sidekick, accessed on an IBM XT by pressing a Ctrl-alt sequence.

Google tasks wasn't perfect, but it was darn near perfect for me. I couldn't have survived my last few years at w*rk without it. Multiple levels of subtasks were a must to break down the innumerable steps to completing anything at my job. Added notes that could be hidden or displayed. (e.g. "3rd reminder phone call about X subject on 11/3/2017. No response yet." I also loved having multiple lists, for home, work, an especially lengthy project.

I could have used sharing and color coding, but it wasn't essential. But I DIDN'T need GANTT charts, integration with GTD, project completion charts. In other words, I didn't need a complex project management program, just a task list that allows infinite subtasks and infinite text.

OK, after that long and tedious explanation (I am VERY distressed about this) - any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use Trello for our smaller projects and it's good enough, but there's several others:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/reviews/bes...vs-wunderlist/

You probably tried them all Beyond that, sorry, no helpful insights.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is it just the web interface for Tasks that was changed? Is there still the same functionality in the app itself?
strobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

No - functionality was removed. Only one level of subtasks is now supported, and text notes to tasks appear to have been removed. A second round of clicking is required to display a task and its (single) level of subtasks. It is unusable at least for my purposes.

Except for the fact google does this all the time, I cannot fathom why they would remove functionality from an already-built application that required no more than minimal updating.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

That sucks
Google has basically went through an identity crisis over the past few months. I believe they think their footprint has gotten a little too wide and are trying to get back to the roots of what made their company popular; hence, the removal of Google +.

In your search, if you find a suitable replacement (preferably free) I'd be interested to see what you recommend as you seem like a power user.
strobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

task breakdown and tracking apps... wait a minute.. your sig line says you're RETIRED!

never mind the diversion. sorry. back to the "task at hand"...
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I love task lists. How do people remember all the steps associated with ... with, well EVERYTHING these days? I'm planning a trip for a group of friends later this month, and breaking it down into individual steps made me MUCH less anxious. Remind everyone to get their cell phone numbers in? Check. Send out third or fourth email asking for input on the itinerary? Check. (Necessary in case people start thinking I'm a dictatress.) Etc.

I just got a new phone. There are myriad tasks associated with the phone. Register here, there. Ask questions about why some apps didn't transfer. Make sure second line with old provider discontinued. It's all in the task list, with notes. Or, was. Google killed off subtask levels.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
We use Trello for our smaller projects and it's good enough, but there's several others:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/reviews/bes...vs-wunderlist/

You probably tried them all Beyond that, sorry, no helpful insights.
Wunderlist has apparently been acquired by Microsoft and will be killed off eventually. I visited the site, and it asked for either a microsoft or an educational account. I think I have both, but I don't want another task app that dies soon. Trello seemed more like project management.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally I like todoist. My favorite feature is that I can postpone a task to the future, and then it won't show up again until that date arrived. It can do a bunch of what you mentioned. I don't know about taking notes, since I don't need that.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

I currently have text notes on a task, and I was able to add them just now, so it hasn't gone away. I've always accessed it via the web, usually through Gmail, so this may be different than what you're used to, but I click the pencil to add notes, and the beginning of the note shows up in the sidebar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-04-05 19.23.23.jpg (170.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
task breakdown and tracking apps... wait a minute.. your sig line says you're RETIRED!

never mind the diversion. sorry. back to the "task at hand"...
As I mentioned to the younger guys in the beer-brewing club "Yep, I'm retired so I don't have much free time, I'm already busy doing all the things I want to do, and there's lots of 'em!"

Plus, that got me subscribed to this thread, so I can follow. I just put things on my calendar (Google and/or the Task list in my email client, Thunderbird (from the mozilla/FireFox people). Or create a list in a LibreOffice spreadsheet. Something more sophisticated might be nice.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:54 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I am checking out "Toodledo" - more powerful than I need, but the free version does not allow subtasks. However, the "outline" feature within does. I am probably going to ditch it. Can't believe I'm relying on paper again.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Trello seemed more like project management.

It's basically multiplayer todo stickers. We also use it for solo projects (no PM) and individuals that want to structure their todo's.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: I've tried Wunderlist, Todoist, and Toodledo. Lack of multiple-level subtasks and/or notes were the killer for these.

I ended up with a program I used years ago - Gqueues (horrible name). It has these sine qua non functions, though it contains more features than I need, and has put two desirable features that used to be free - synching with google calendar and mobile access - into its premium model. I may end up paying the $25/year for premium, but FIRE has reduced the need for both of those features.

Other desirable features - one-keystroke creation of any level of subtasks and/or tags, easy rearrangement of tasks.

I'm not sure why it doesn't show higher on "best task list" reviews, maybe because it's one of the older ones.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #15

Look at Smartsheet.com
Look at Things from Cultured Code.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Dave, for the suggestions. But Smartsheet seemed more like a project management program rather than a task list, mainly aimed at organizations - and no free option except for the 2 week trial. And Things appeared to be Apple-only.

Has anyone ever seen a good explanation for why Google REMOVES functionality (or kills) existing popular applications? It seems like it would be more trouble to go that route than just continue the programs. This is the 4th Google application I used that has been in some way: Others were: Google notebook, which was AHEAD of MS Onenote and Evernote. Google homepage, which had some great features. And Google Reader, one of the best RSS readers. I just don't get why Google kills off some of its either popular, or at least longstanding and inoffensive, programs.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

My comments were not acceptable.
Ankerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Google tasks wasn't perfect, but it was darn near perfect for me. I couldn't have survived my last few years at w*rk without it. Multiple levels of subtasks were a must to break down the innumerable steps to completing anything at my job. Added notes that could be hidden or displayed. (e.g. "3rd reminder phone call about X subject on 11/3/2017. No response yet." I also loved having multiple lists, for home, work, an especially lengthy project.
I haven't heard sidekick for a long long time.

Google notes is fairly popular available on PC and phone.

Google task on my PC and my phone:

I use google task within the 'sidebar' of Gmail.
Also on my Android phone app.
Only 1 level of subtask tho.

Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tasks&hl=en_US

eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote