Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help my Mother is moving to Florida ?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Help my Mother is moving to Florida ?

I love my Mother but the thought of her in my house day in and day out is giving me the shakes . She's 92 and been living alone with help and doing okay . My bossy sister decided Mom needs to move to Florida and live with her part time and me part time . I think my sister has no idea how hard this is going to be because she usually visits my Mom for a day here and there . I go for several weeks at a time . I do think my Mom will evntually need to do this but not right now . Besides the fact that this will drive me nuts I think it will put Mom over the edge when she is taken away from her enviroment. Any suggestions so I don't end up having shock therapy ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has your sister brought this idea up with mom yet?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe you should give your Sister the therapy. Work out a schedule with your Sister; for example her house 11 months of the year and your house 1 month? I moved my Mother to Florida, bought her a new home down the street from us, and it was the best 7 years of her life (according to her). Whenever anything went wrong or she could not figure it out it was "my house", when all was well it was "her" house. She kept her independence at 73-80. She passed away at 80 (smoker, etc.). Much younger than your Mom but the she wanted to move to Florida - I did not hear that in your post. Good luck with Mom and Sister.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Assisted living time?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You have my sincere concern.

"The Villages"? I'm joking!

We moved mom cross-country to a senior complex at age 89 and it was very difficult; she was catatonic during the move but loved living in the new place; talked about it like we hear people on this board saying they feel like they are on vacation when they retire. She died there at age 91-3/4.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Maybe you should give your Sister the therapy. Work out a schedule with your Sister; for example her house 11 months of the year and your house 1 month?

That is a great idea . I could handle one month easily .
Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #7

i forget, is your sister here too? if so, and if mom is still pretty much independent, how about getting mom a place convenient between the two of you so you can both look in on her.

my brother and i were both 20 minutes away from mom and with that we were able to keep her relatively independent for very long even into alzheimer's. plus in sharing the responsiblity it did not weigh too heavily on either of us.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Has your sister brought this idea up with mom yet?

Yes and at first my Mother did not want to go but now my Sister convinced her .
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i forget, is your sister here too? if so, and if mom is still pretty much independent, how about getting mom a place convenient between the two of you so you can both look in on her.

I would love to do that but my Mom has decided she needs to live with someone . She has a great set up in Pa. . She lives next door to my Aunt who is twenty years younger . Her apartment is totally modified . Walk in shower with a seat etc.. I pay for an aide to take her to all her appointments including the beauty shop , do her shopping and take her for a drive if she needs to get out . My younger sister visits a lot .I know my older Sister and after a month she'll be trying to send Mom to me . My sister just built a house in Weeki Wachee ,Fl..
Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Assisted living time?

She has assisted living now in her apartment .
Old 06-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
they feel like they are on vacation when they retire. She died there at age 91-3/4.

This is making me think about unretiring !
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I guess you are just going to have to be firm with your older sister about your feelings (or tell her you cannot host your mother because you have to go visit your daughter/grandchildren!). What if your mother moved to Florida into another assisted living facilities, near to your older sister and you? Would your aunt who now lives near your mother want to move to Florida also? What about your younger sister--won't she be lonely without your mother nearby (something to suggest to your older sister )?

My mom passed away when I was 22, but my aunt in later years decided my grandmother needed to move cross country to live with her (instead of independently near my uncles). After about three weeks my aunt was pulling out her hair and after six months my grandmother was on her way back home, completely confused. Your older sister perhaps doesn't know what she is getting into imho.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
, but my aunt in later years decided my grandmother needed to move cross country to live with her (instead of independently near my uncles). After about three weeks my aunt was pulling out her hair and after six months my grandmother was on her way back home, completely confused. Your older sister perhaps doesn't know what she is getting into imho.

Yep, I can see this same scenario on the horizon . Think the peace corps will take me ?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My bossy sister decided Mom needs to move to Florida and live with her part time and me part time.
This is not something that you 'owe' to your Mom or your siblings; and just because you can't handle living in the same house with your elderly Mom for extended periods doesn't make you a bad person.

The first and more important issue is whether you should agree to host Mom part-time (six months a year? 11 months?).

I don't know any of the personal dynamics, but it sounds to me like you have little option to put your foot down and gently but firmly inform bossy Sis and Mom that you are simply not in a position to host. You don't have to give reasons if you don't want to (personally, I wouldn't because it may invite argument debate). Better to do this ASAP, before people start making assumptions and then later blame you for "going back on your word".

The second issue is whether Mom would be better staying where she is.

If bossy Sis was able to convince Mom to move, I would think there's a good chance that you can just as easily persuade her not to: considering natural human lethargy, and the fact that her present set-up sounds good. But this issue is not as important as the first one, and ultimately you should respect your Mom's wishes, as long as you are not personally inconvenienced.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yep, I can see this same scenario on the horizon . Think the peace corps will take me ?
Definitely! You better apply before your older sister realizes what she's gotten herself into!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #16

Moemg, I am so sorry your sister has put you in this position.

Just based on personal experience with my own father, your sister's plan is terrible. Don't move your mother until you need to. If she is happy and safe in her current arrangement, try to make that last as long as possible. This idea of shuttling her between your sister and you is bad. A consistent environment helps older folks hang on to reality.

If she is set on moving, perhaps she could try a visit first. That might change her mind. If not, think about a retirement apartment -- a place that would be her own, in a community of people, with help available. And you and your sister nearby.

Good luck -- you're in a very difficult situation.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Just based on personal experience with my own father, your sister's plan is terrible. Don't move your mother until you need to. If she is happy and safe in her current arrangement, try to make that last as long as possible. This idea of shuttling her between your sister and you is bad. A consistent environment helps older folks hang on to reality.

If she is set on moving, perhaps she could try a visit first. That might change her mind.

Good luck -- you're in a very difficult situation.

Coach
This (in red) is very important advice IMO, moving her back and forth probably won't be good for anyone. And no matter how hard you try, she is going to be more comfortable at one place or the other - so she will be some unhappy about half the time if not more. Good luck from me too...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks everybody , My younger sister and I already discussed the reality of her going downhill with the move . Neither of us think it's a good idea but my older sister thinks this is a great idea . I have no problem having my Mother for a few weeks every couple months so my sister can have a break but six months would do me in . Plus moving her away from the place she lived forever at 92 is just nuts .
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #19

you need to tell your sister that this is not a good idea, and that you'll have no part of it. (if you're not 100% willing, it simply will not work.)
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

If she is set on moving, perhaps she could try a visit first.

I'm going to really push for this idea . That way if she hates it she hasn't burned her bridges .