Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help on finding a part-time job making additional income
Old 06-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help on finding a part-time job making additional income

I'm currently employed working on a contract for the Federal Government.* I'm 31 and my annual salary is $120k (not bad for my age).* My problem is that I only work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off, and I'm going crazy during my time off .*

It would be great if I could find other people in my area with the same situation so we could travel, play golf, tennis, etc.* Since that is almost impossible, I would like some suggestions as far as finding something to do to get some additional income during those periods throughout the year.

I would greatly appreciate your responses.*
xmanz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help on finding a part-time job making additional income
Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

d
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

what's that?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #4

If you cannot entertain yourself for 6 weeks, what are you doing on a 'retirement forum'. Imagine the problem you'd have if didn't have to work at all.

I would suggest posting at 'Jobs Forum' - You'll probably get more help.

I never had a problem with 'free time' - that is why I am now free! 8)
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

To: Cut Throat

Regarding your comment; it would be different if my wife and I were both off for 6 weeks, but there is so much you can do in 2 weeks and then you are left with 4 weeks off.

I can entertain myself for 6 weeks if I want and travel, play golf, eat out, go shopping and do many other things but I would not be able to save and invest for ER if I want to achieve this goal before 50.

At 31, I have so much energy to do other things and I really want to work. I don't want to kill myself, but it would be nice to get additional income so I can get closer to achieve my retirement goal.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #6

Well, getting a job is probably a worthwhile thing to do for you. But looking for job ideas on this forum is not the place to start. Most of the folks here don't want to think about work.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I have read a few postings from people that are trying to decide to switch jobs or looking for advise on taking another job and you would find that there are plenty of members on this forum willing to share their experience or thoughts with them.

Also, I believe I selected the right area to post my interest and I would hope so that I can received some interesting comments regarding my topic.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanz3
Well, I have read a few postings from people that are trying to decide to switch jobs or looking for advise on taking another job and you would find that there are plenty of members on this forum willing to share their experience or thoughts with them.

Also, I believe I selected the right area to post my interest and I would hope so that I can received some interesting comments regarding my topic.
That would probably be the 'Young Dreamers' Section on this Forum.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It would be great if I could find other people in my area with the same situation so we could travel, play golf, tennis, etc.* Since that is almost impossible, I would like some suggestions as far as finding something to do to get some additional income during those periods throughout the year.
Well, Cut-Throat's point is that you're limiting your options to a pool of people who are on for six weeks and off for six, or else spending money for your entertainment. Most ERs are in the same situation and we're not looking for jobs to solve the "problem".

I have a metric butt-ton of excess energy too. I usually devote it to home improvement, yard work, surfing, and exploring the world through a broadband Internet connection. It's pretty affordable and I'm not looking for a job.

You could devote your excess energy to getting a graduate degree, improving your stock-selection skills, contract writing/blogging, developing a website supported by ad revenue, or sports that don't consume large piles of cash.

If you have excess energy and a spouse, you could always start a family... that'll certainly remedy the "excess energy" issue!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #10

oh whatever... :

There was a topic on what people do for extra money:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7464.0

People have also discussed part time jobs for health insurance and starting small businesses to jump start FIRE.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm currently employed working on a contract for the Federal Government.* I'm 31 and my annual salary is $120k (not bad for my age).* My problem is that I only work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off, and I'm going crazy during my time off* .*

Can I have your job?*

Nord had some good suggestions ... I might add volunteer work to the mix.
A side business might be good, but not being available for 6 weeks at a stretch makes any kind of traditional service business problematic. Maybe eBay? A table at the local flea market or antique mall? Restore an old car and sell it at a profit?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #13

It can be aggravating work sometimes, but if you get in at the right type of establishment, working part time as a waiter or bartender can line your pockets with some pretty good cash money. And their schedules are usually pretty flexible.

If you're already making $120K per year though, the added income from doing something like that might not be worth the aggravation. I have a roommate who used to be a waiter for Olive Garden, and on a really good night he could bring in close to $200. He's a manager now at some place in downtown Annapolis, and he says that on a really busy day, some of their waiters bring in close to $300 or more. Unfortunately, in the winter when the tourist season dies down, they'll probably be starving!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #14

I second the idea of volunteering. You can do something you like, make good connections and do some good as well and on your own schedule. Unless someone is very lucky in their employment they are unlikely to have the experience of a shared effort like the non profit world. I was once at meeting with 21 other Big Brothers and someone poped their head in and asked for help pushing the van a bit (it had died, again) and 22 of us stood up at the same time. Everyone should experience moments like that in life.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

That sounds like a great idea! I'm also considering on getting my Real Estate license. I could work doing that during my time off.