Join Early Retirement Today

Help, Pls. Suggestions for a Dash Cam
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help, Pls. Suggestions for a Dash Cam

I'd appreciate suggestions for dash cam for my car. Features to look for, features that are not needed, any brands or models to avoid, etc. Last week I was in a car accident (no injuries). Damage to my 3 year old car made it a constructive total.
Other driver conceded his fault to the police officer. But if there is ever a next-time, I want video evidence. If you have any suggestions for dash cam, I'm all ears to your reply, and you need not read further. If your curious about the accident, feel free to read on:

Other driver ran a stop sign while looking right, but he made a sharp LEFT turn.....smack dab into front end of my car. I was already slowing down to turn, so air bags did not deploy. Alas, his was a big Ram pickup and crumpled my Q5's front end. The front of the engine took some damage and that's what ultimately caused the valuation as a total.
Besides no injury, I guess I was lucky: 1) I got a quick and very fair value from my insurer, making shopping for a replacement much easier. 2) Police report included the other driver's concession, and my comments about the the driver looking opposite of how he was turning while running a stop sign. 3) Other driver was also insured; nowadays that's not a sure thing. 4) I am 100% confident that my insurer will get full recovery from the other insurer. I'm also in contact with the driver's insurer, and told them I will be pursuing them to reimburse my insurer. 5) Based on police report, my insurer told me this has been classified as a not-my-fault accident.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have 2 which I paid $25 each.
I have one for the front and one for the back.

What I have learned is the maker's lie about the quality of the image so read reviews carefully.
The little screen if they have one, is really only good for aiming the camera, don't think you are going to look at the movie on it.
Get a fast flash card class 10 and size 16 Gb or 32 Gb
Make sure it will turn on automatically when plugged into lighter socket, so you never have to think to turn it on/off, it turns on when the car turns on (this is pretty standard, but check).

I'll be watching this thread to see if any excellent ones are suggested as I'd like to get a real HD or higher one for the front.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:42 AM   #3

i've been happy with this one:
https://www.falconzero.com/products/...cluded-full-hd

I paid around $80 for it on Amazon. Nice wide angle and very good clear video.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve had several dash cams over the years. My preference is for the “lipstick” style that mounts inconspicuously at the top of the windshield using adhesive, not suction cups. I don’t need a display nor GPS. I’ve had two Blackvues that had underwhelming performance. The one I have now is a Goluk T2 and it works very well.

You’ll want to consider permanent wiring and thus a “battery saver” device.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m glad you started this thread. I’m also in the market, but want the ability for it to store energy in some sort of capacitor or battery, so that when the car is turned off, it keeps recording motion for about an hour or so. I’ve had two people scrape my car over the past year in various parking lots...and depart without leaving a note.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
I’m glad you started this thread. I’m also in the market, but want the ability for it to store energy in some sort of capacitor or battery, so that when the car is turned off, it keeps recording motion for about an hour or so.
You won't find any that will record that long on their own. The dashcams usually have an internal battery or capacitor to let them flush recordings to memory without corrupting the card, but even the ones with a battery can record for just a few minutes beyond that. (And these have issues in hot weather.)

What you need is to hardwire the dashcam to 12V power through a "battery saver" box (PowerMagic is a popular model, but I prefer the Vico-Power Plus - I have used both.) These shut off the power after a set time (6 hours, for example), and when the car battery voltage drops below a defined threshold.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Follow-up question: Some dash cams come with a Lane Departure Warning feature. I would think this is a good additional safety feature. How does this feature work? An alarm sound of some sort?
I saw a few user comments that criticized this feature because of too many annoying alarms. So I'm not sure of this is just a useless gimmick, or something I should look for in my selection process.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Follow-up question: Some dash cams come with a Lane Departure Warning feature. I would think this is a good additional safety feature. How does this feature work? An alarm sound of some sort?
I saw a few user comments that criticized this feature because of too many annoying alarms. So I'm not sure of this is just a useless gimmick, or something I should look for in my selection process.
And they can detect alien life forms...

Are people really that gullible, so please explain how the manufacturer ensures you mount the camera pointing at preciesly the correct horizontal and vertical axis and how did they calibrate this for the country you will be driving in ?

Do they sell a Left and a Right hand road version ?

Obviously it's a useless gimmick.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My new Garmin has a dashcam and warns of lane departure. DH can't stand either feature.