Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I would recommend either going with a Canon or Nikon.
If I buy one (and I am getting weaker by the minute), it will be a Nikon D90 or D5000 - for my own reasons I have ruled out all others.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I'm with W2R. This is all a result of Madison Ave. She mutes the commercials. I always have a second channel to switch to. America's Funniest Home Videos is always on some channel, and is perfect for watching for 4-5 minutes during a commercial break.

I've told DW and DD for years that the reason I don't want stuff (or not much of it) is that I don't watch commercials. Never have. They, on the other hand, always watch the commercials, and are personally keeping the economy afloat. Try not watching commercials for a few years, see if your behavior changes.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
This is a great book for learning about photography - Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Bryan Peterson: Books

I never realized how much went into it until I read the book. As far as classes, I think if you buy a DSLR at Wolf camera they will allow you to take a few of their classes for free. A lot of community colleges will also offer photography classes for pretty cheap.
Thanks Bank5. I'm taking community college classes, "Photography for the F-stop Impaired."
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've told DW and DD for years that the reason I don't want stuff (or not much of it) is that I don't watch commercials.
My hubby doesn't want things, either. So...I just pick up the slack left by his lack of materialism.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ooh, this thread is making me want to learn more about photography!
That'll have to wait until the kids are a little grown and I'm outta school...

Anyhooo - I can totally relate to the ocd related to shopping. Growing up it was one of our main distractions, bargain hunting can be an adventure and the internet just increases the volume of noise surrounding each purchase.

Sometimes I put some road blocks in front of a purchase so I can know if I'm really serious about it. For example, if it was the camera, then I'd make sure I finished some book or mini course first. I'd also put some preliminary guidelines, in the form of an oral agreement with myself like - ok, if I purchase this, then no new cameras for X years.

If it was a certain bag, shoe or outfit, then I'd have to hit some other goal, or forgo such purchases for a certain # of months (sort of like fasting before you eat a donut).

Anyhow, those things at least make me feel more justified!

I do agree some of it could just be things to occupy an idle mind, so perhaps finding other things to occupy your mind that may seem more productive might be something to look into (you can research all the hobbies!).

I know honda's can run for a good deal longer than the 87k so perhaps doing something to refresh it's appearence? Give it a good wash/wax, vaccum etc can make it feel new again!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I know honda's can run for a good deal longer than the 87k so perhaps doing something to refresh it's appearence? Give it a good wash/wax, vaccum etc can make it feel new again!
Great point! I had my car detailed by a college student last summer. He did an amazing job -- spent a full day on it. The 14 year old car felt new again and took away any feelings of me wanting to get a new car.

It only cost me a hundred bucks. Much less than a new car payment.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If I buy one (and I am getting weaker by the minute), it will be a Nikon D90 or D5000 - for my own reasons I have ruled out all others.
Great choices! I'm sure you'd enjoy both.

------------------------------------

If you're still looking to be talked out of it...

Photography is a very tough hobby for us LBYMers My DW has been trying to decide for a few weeks if spending $250 on an external flash is worth it. After we get the flash, the next thing on the list will probably be a wide angle lens. A good lens can easily cost over $1000. The kit lens on the Nikon will be fine but just be prepared to want a new lens after you get the camera

This is a great book to read if you want to stop the buying urge - http://www.amazon.com/Affluenza-All-...4465701&sr=8-1
It has a lot of astonishing facts and also talks about the environment.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #48

I always go by the old standby: figure out if it is worth the additional work time. That method works pretty well for those of us who save money every month and are looking to retire early.

If you earn $900 (after tax) over X days, then are you willing to work X days longer before retirement in order to have that thing? (Note: that's simplified for being fairly close to retirement, and if you've got 10+ years before retirement, it might be closer to 2X days of work with compounding of interest.)

Most of the time I don't even consciously relate spending back to days of work, but it is always there in the back of my mind. Fortunately for me I don't want to spend money very often and my earning rate is high enough to make a lot of decisions a bit easier.

But then in the last week I bought a Blu-Ray player for $200 (it also does Netflix streaming to the TV, which is awesome), and a 42" plasma as a secondary TV for $700. Usually I'm not spending that much money, though...
Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Since there are two interesting topics being discussed here, I thought I'd spin off the camera discussion:

Camera Buying Decisions
Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I scratch my shopping itch by bargain basement shopping. I do a weekly tour of my local big box stores, especially Target, for clearance items. I keep a running mental list of things I "need", though I occasionally buy stuff just because it is cheap.

I also tour the dollar store to see what is new. My favorite pastime is using items for unintended purposes. I made a bird feeder from two stainless steel bowls and a muffler for my central vacuum from a plastic trash can. My favorite hangout is Harbor Freight, for cheap tools. When I decide I "need" a more expensive item, I stalk it relentlessly on Craigslist.

For me most of the fun is in the hunt, as opposed to actually owning additional stuff - I've really got all I need and more.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I had (past tense ) a good friend who truly was a compulsive shopper (she had the money for it) but then she took it to the next level and morphed into a compulsive returner of what she had bought. The stuff never even made it out of her car into her house--she would wait a couple of days and then return it. So first she got a rush from the shopping experience, and perhaps a bigger one from the returning part of it.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #52

For most of our w*(king years we had a salary. This allowed us to pay our bills and put a percentage into savings. Money left over we spent. We did not do debt/credit cards to buy stuff, and this has lead to a very comfortable retirement.

Now how does this blend with 'I want a new XXX'. Well for most of the past 42 years there has always been a list of things we thought we 'needed/wanted'. These generally added up to about $1,000 worth of stuff. The funny thing is yesterday I thought of a couple of items I would like to get, camera, printer, gps, you know about $1,000 worth of stuff. We can easily afford it, I just can't bring myself to get it. Besides, most of the stuff will have a new model out next month/year.

Now that does not count a boat. We live on a lake, and I have been thinking a boat would be nice. A small one, just big enough to get in the water and throw money out of.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Of the people I know who are compulsive shoppers they: 1) are all women; 2) are unemployed or have boring jobs; 3) don't have a lot of hobbies to keep them busy and out of the stores; and 4) have trouble resisting instant gratification versus working hard for longer term goals; and 5) are divorced or have really unhappy marriages.

This obviously isn't a scientific sampling, but all of the above applies to the four people I know who I would classify as compulsive shoppers. Oh, and they are in two sets of co-shoppers, so maybe having a close friend who is also a compulsive shopper is part of the problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We live on a lake, and I have been thinking a boat would be nice. A small one, just big enough to get in the water and throw money out of.
You clearly understand what you're signing up for, puts you ahead of most boat owners (from ongoing experience). Better to have a friend with a boat, than a boat...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #55

Right now I would rather have a Saturn Sky! Entry price more, but I'll bet it is cheaper in the long run!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #56

When I have an urge to buy something I usually measure it against two things:

1. What does it do to my FI? (or in other words, how many hours do I have to work to make that much?)

2. Will it contribute to more clutter in my home or make moving difficult?

If I buy something, I need to know what I can get rid of before I buy. I hate moving and sorting through stuff, so the less the own, the better.

I seem to recall that you are already close to FI. It sounds like these purchases are within your means and well researched. I wouldn't sweat it, as long as you also built into your retirement budget such discretionary spending, so there will not be a huge lifestyle change when you retire.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I am proud to say that I overcame my secret splurge - nursery grown flowers and plants.
It is very difficult for me to resist a hanging basket with vibrant colored flowers or to not pick up too many 6-packs of veggies or annual flowers. I started a few of my own veggie seedlings for an earlier harvest.
I limited myself to 1 pansy pack and 2 veggie packs this year.
At $12-15 or more per hanging basket, the choice was easier on a budget vs. when I was w*rking. Fewer container plants means less watering.
Seeds are the way to go. I've even gotten serious about saving seeds from year to year for flowers and using leftover large veggie seeds for up to 3 years. I just plant more and thin out the extras.
There is hope...
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

And that's why I learned to love auto deduct/auto invest - that money belonged to some 'mysterious stranger' to be gifted back at retirement.

I could be silly/frivolous/party on in life with the rest - provided bills got paid.

Agonizing over planned purchases was part of the fun during the accumulation phase.

heh heh heh - I had an 8-10% compound interest table - for what I spent in the then now projected to age 63 my original planned retirement.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am proud to say that I overcame my secret splurge - nursery grown flowers and plants.
It is very difficult for me to resist a hanging basket with vibrant colored flowers or to not pick up too many 6-packs of veggies or annual flowers. I started a few of my own veggie seedlings for an earlier harvest.
I limited myself to 1 pansy pack and 2 veggie packs this year.
At $12-15 or more per hanging basket, the choice was easier on a budget vs. when I was w*rking. Fewer container plants means less watering.
Seeds are the way to go. I've even gotten serious about saving seeds from year to year for flowers and using leftover large veggie seeds for up to 3 years. I just plant more and thin out the extras.
There is hope...
I know how I overcame something similar, set a firm limit on yourself by limiting garden space and/or potted plants. If you buy another potted plant, something has to go. If you run out of garden space, you can't plant something else until next year/harvest.

I love to read books, my parents and my sister have way too many, they just keep buying more and they have books all over their homes. I decided I would limit myself to two bookcases - PERIOD. I have stuck to it my whole life and will continue to. Makes me think twice about buying new books, I just read them from the library and buy those I must have to read again or refer to. And if I buy one, something has to go (usually given away at work).

Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I love to read books, my parents and my sister have way too many, they just keep buying more and they have books all over their homes. I decided I would limit myself to two bookcases - PERIOD. I have stuck to it my whole life and will continue to. Makes me think twice about buying new books, I just read them from the library and buy those I must have to read again or refer to. And if I buy one, something has to go (usually given away at work).

I also love to read books and sometimes the book I want is not in the library or has a long wait so I buy it ,read it and sell it on amazon . It eliminates the clutter and instead of costing $16.00 it ends up to be more like $3.00.