Join Early Retirement Today

Help! Suicide note on Craigslist
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help! Suicide note on Craigslist

I'm just wasting time on the computer today, because I'm in the process of fighting a cold and not doing much of anything worthwhile, and what do I find on the Houston forum of Craigslist? This suicide note under the Personals column under M4W with a minimum age of 60:

The time is drawing near

I wrote Craigslist and a man just wrote me a note asking to send the i.d. number, which I did promptly.
Knowing we have some ex-law enforcement people on this board and some medical professionals, what do you do with people like this? Who do you even contact?
Of course, I'm praying Craigslist will contact the proper authorities, but I have no idea right now what to do. The guy may just want attention, but, then again, it might be really serious. Regardless, some screws have to be loose to post something of this nature on Craiglist personals for Houston.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

Well, I just heard from Craigslist and they said much thanks! I surely am hoping that they can do something, but has anyone ever had this experience? And who do you call when someone does this sort of thing?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #3

Good lord! I never read anything on Craigslist and now I know why. Whew! Sounds like you did the right thing by contacting the site owner. I'd guess that is all you can do.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #4

Wow, that is so sad that someone has to reach out like that on the internet. No idea what to do in this situation. However, another that is glad they don't read craigslit.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This sort of thing isn't that unusual. In my many years in security in Megacorp we were contacted often by LEOs looking for IP information for someone who posted suicide notes in BBSs or later on IRCs, forums or other groups. Craigslist was barely around back in my day, so I don't know if it's new there or not. I suspect not.

There are a lot of sad people out there, and they reach out for help in whatever way they can. I hope someone was able to help this one.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #6

Wow, interesting, harley. Some sad, pathetic souls out there I guess. But could you divulge what they did after they found whose IP address it was?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The individual claims to have 2 weeks of money left and that when the money is gone, they are gone. So you really have till September 16 before they do anything. They will probably wise up by then.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #8

Being that this is in a "men seeking women" personals section, maybe this is a ploy to try to draw out some women who might be inclined to connect with him in order to "save" him? Just a thought, cynic that I am.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Being that this is in a "men seeking women" personals section, maybe this is a ploy to try to draw out some women who might be inclined to connect with him in order to "save" him? Just a thought, cynic that I am.
It would suck if the police found him, had him involuntarily committed and he spent a month wandering the halls at the looney bin under suicide watch. But the potential for reward is worth it to some...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #10

Well, if he's in Houston I doubt that they will or can do much of anything. I know that the schizophrenic lady that wandered the main street (Westheimer Road) at the Galleria, which is the main shopping area, was "talked to" by the Police. They don't have the facilities to put the mentally ill in down there from what I could tell after 22 years.
By the way, for the uninitiated to the Houston culture, there are bums on every 6th corner with signs saying different things but most end up with "please donate money." Since the bums seem to vary, I am guessing they must sign up for corners and days to ask for handouts.
Friends who live in Houston could just not believe it wasn't that way when I went up to Chicago, but Chicago just does not allow that sort of thing I think. I do know that when I was a kid, Illinois had a number of mental health lock-up facilities as my mother used to volunteer her nursing abilities at one. Even tho this State is in grave financial trouble now, I still don't see bums or the mentally ill wandering around much at all. It ain't Houston, anyway, where it's a "normal" thing.
Maybe there is someone on this board more versed in the subject than I to discuss this?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, if he's in Houston I doubt that they will or can do much of anything. I know that the schizophrenic lady that wandered the main street (Westheimer Road) at the Galleria, which is the main shopping area, was "talked to" by the Police. They don't have the facilities to put the mentally ill in down there from what I could tell after 22 years.
By the way, for the uninitiated to the Houston culture, there are bums on every 6th corner with signs saying different things but most end up with "please donate money." Since the bums seem to vary, I am guessing they must sign up for corners and days to ask for handouts.
Friends who live in Houston could just not believe it wasn't that way when I went up to Chicago, but Chicago just does not allow that sort of thing I think. I do know that when I was a kid, Illinois had a number of mental health lock-up facilities as my mother used to volunteer her nursing abilities at one. Even tho this State is in grave financial trouble now, I still don't see bums or the mentally ill wandering around much at all. It ain't Houston, anyway, where it's a "normal" thing.
Maybe there is someone on this board more versed in the subject than I to discuss this?

Yes, there are bums on a lot of corners... and it is illegal... but the police have found out that arresting them means you fill out paperwork and they are let out quickly... also, you have a right to be mentally ill and wonder the streets as long as you are not a danger to others...

On another note... there was a reporter who decided to see how much he could get being on a corner... I wish I could remember it, but I think he was there an hour or two and made over $50 bucks... (I am thinking it was more like $100, but it is lost in the recesses of the mind)... people who are offered jobs refuse to take them as it is a reduction in pay..
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... people who are offered jobs refuse to take them as it is a reduction in pay..
And an increase in hours.

There was a panhandler in Baltimore I happened to observe drive into a Kmart parking lot in a nice late model Cadillac sts. Get out in ragged clothes, pulled his wool ski cap down just so... grabbed his crutch, and started walking toward his favorite corner. When he got closer started using the crutch as a walking aid. By the time he made it to the corner he was in full character, pathetic looking with head hanging to one side drooling, with his cup in contorted fingers.

Great job I said the following day when he approached my car, but the cruthc was in under your other arm yesterday when you got out of you caddy. He let loose a chain of profanities that would have done Richard Pryor proud.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I would email him, and ask if you can have his stuff after he offs himself...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Is it wrong that I laughed at this?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He could run a last minute sale on Craigslist. We are so bad.

Serious problem. I went to the link and clicked the place where Craigslist allows you to report the post. I reported it as posted in the wrong place figuring the post will get some attention that way.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I read this yesterday and immediately felt bad for this guy.
I re-read it today and my scam-meter went off.
There is something very inconsistent about the way it is written. It oscillates between well formed sentences with decent vocabulary and a more informal and sometimes crude method. My guess is he is setting bait for a bleeding heart type. Or two people composed it.
Yes, I'm a cynic and proud of it.

PS I got dibs on the flat screen.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That is the best yet worst comment I have read here in a long time!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There's no way to tell if he was sincere or trying to dupe someone; that's the part that really frosts my apple. There are a lot of lonely, heartbroken people out there. Some of these people may read his post and it could possibly encourage them to end it all.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
gone traveling

I thought listings on Craigslist were classified...
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Bah doom ching!