Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I would not connect the old machine to the internet, a windows 98 box will be infected within minutes, as hacker bots constantly scan all IP addresses for open ports. Its too much of a risk.

You could do the suggestion Gauss said, I do that a lot for a wide variety of drives to pull the data off them. Its the easiest to do, just do a single drive at a time.
You may need to do it close to the original PC , as the amazon one looks like it does not have a power cable (but you can use the power directly from your old PC) to power the old PC hard drive.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

How much data are we talking about?

Since we are talking win 98, I assume writing to media is either CD or floppy.

I have the cables and adapters of what Gauss suggested. That's the route I'd go, but also I don't mind opening up the case (after shutting down and unplugging computer, of course) to take out the hard drive.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I'd go with gauss's suggestion of the cable adapter, but I'd try rbmrtn's suggestion of loading USB mass storage drivers (but that creates the catch-22 of having to get on the internet to DL the drivers and get them on the machine).

Another option? I seem to recall connecting an ethernet cable directly between two machines (might require a 'crossover' cable?). I'm fuzzy on this, but would the file browser on the new machine be able to see the dirs on the old?

OK, no one ever wants to hear this (but that never stops me!), but....

If that old machine 'contains many valuable files (photos, docs, and old Quicken files)', then it sure should have been backed up to something (OK, maybe that 'something' was the Zip Drives?)! But you need to make sure that 'something' can be read by some other computer at your disposal. A "Write Only" backup isn't really much good Unfortunately, I've known more than few people who were sure they were backing up - but when I asked them if they ever tried retrieving something from back up, they had not. And when they suddenly had to - surprise (well, it was supposed to be on this disk/tape, whatever)!

If all else fails, or is too complicated, I'd bet someone could read the zip drive for you, or the removed hard drive.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I tried that. The one good computer place in our town has closed, so I searched around and found a small computer repair business in the local area. The day I visited, the owner had gone out, and the other one didn't know when he'd be back. The way he spoke to me, I expected him to go "nyuk nyuk" and I refuse to go back there. I have more faith in youse guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You know that you can take the machine to a computer store that would transfer the files for you.... for a fee of course...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, I tried plugging in the router,but the connector does not fit.
So do you have a network adapter installed in this computer ? If so, all you need to do is connect the PC to the router with a ethernet cable. What kind of cable are you saying doesn't fit.

You don't need the internet just to copy/transfer your files. Another method, is to use windows networking. W98 supported mapped drives, you can map a shared drive from another PC to the W98, then copy your files to the mapped drive.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

How about something like an external cd writer that supports win 98?

http://www.amazon.com/External-Windo...ner+windows+98
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yet another +1 on gauss' suggestion. An HDD dock would be the simplest solution. It's really not that hard to open up computers to remove the HDD.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ship the box to a computer expert?
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Well, I tried plugging in the router,but the connector does not fit.
Do you recall if this computer connected to the Internet via dial-up? If so, you would not be able to plug the ethernet cable from your router, with it's RJ45 connector, into the modem, which has an RJ11 jack. The ethernet cable would be too big.

If you do have a modem in the computer, and you also have a land-line phone, then you could connect it that way, but then you would need a dial-up internet service.

I think your best bet is, as others have said, to get the hard drive(s) out of the old computer and connect them to your newer computer as external drives.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Do you recall if this computer connected to the Internet via dial-up? If so, you would not be able to plug the ethernet cable from your router, with it's RJ45 connector, into the modem, which has an RJ11 jack. The ethernet cable would be too big.

If you do have a modem in the computer, and you also have a land-line phone, then you could connect it that way, but then you would need a dial-up internet service.

I think your best bet is, as others have said, to get the hard drive(s) out of the old computer and connect them to your newer computer as external drives.
There is another idea! - Thanks Cathy

FWIW, I have used free dial-up access numbers in the not too recent past. I am away from my pc currently but here is an example of what I am talking about: Free California Internet Access

I will try to remember to augment this post when I get home with the provider that I have first hand experience with.....

-gauss

p.s. If you go this way, please realize that your computer will be directly connected to the Internet with no router/firewall for protection as mentioned by Sunset. Tradeoff of potential risk and potential convenience.

I have heard discussions of random ware that if loaded onto your PC by a hacker will strongly encrypt all your files (ie pictures) unless you pay them a few hundred dollars (in bitcoin) within a couple of days. I thought it was quite sobering when I heard at least one law enforcement agency who actually paid the ransom and went public with it.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #31

I agree with others that the best approach with the highest odds of success is to remove the hard drive and use an adapter cable setup that would have the connector to attach to your hard drive and adapt it to a modern USB connector. Be aware that you could have an odd size hard drive that would not fit in a typical external hard drive case so the external hard drive case approach also suggested might not work. For example, one of my computers from the late 1990's had a Quantum Bigfoot hard drive with a 5.25" form factor. It would not fit in a typical external drive case but its connector is compatible with the adapter cable which I personally have used with success in such instances.

If you don't feel capable of removing the hard drive and hooking it up to the cable adapter yourself, perhaps you have a knowledgeable friend or relative who could assist you.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
There is another idea! - Thanks Cathy

FWIW, I have used free dial-up access numbers in the not too recent past. I am away from my pc currently but here is an example of what I am talking about: Free California Internet Access

I will try to remember to augment this post when I get home with the provider that I have first hand experience with.....

-gauss

p.s. If you go this way, please realize that your computer will be directly connected to the Internet with no router/firewall for protection as mentioned by Sunset. Tradeoff of potential risk and potential convenience.

I have heard discussions of random ware that if loaded onto your PC by a hacker will strongly encrypt all your files (ie pictures) unless you pay them a few hundred dollars (in bitcoin) within a couple of days. I thought it was quite sobering when I heard at least one law enforcement agency who actually paid the ransom and went public with it.
I was thinking the same about the RJ45 not fitting into the phone jack. When I had ATT DSL, dial up came with the service as backup. Of course, depending on the amount of files, that makes dial up practical or not.

About the news of the cops who had to fork over and pay up to unlock the ransomed PC, that's where a good rollback or imaged backup process would have come in handy. A PC of mine got locked out in a similar way before, but luckily, I was able to rollback and say "close but no cigar" to those crooks .
Old 06-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

About the news of the cops who had to fork over and pay up to unlock the ransomed PC, that's where a good rollback or imaged backup process would have come in handy. A PC of mine got locked out in a similar way before, but luckily, I was able to rollback and say "close but no cigar" to those crooks .
If it is the one I'm thinking of, they got hit by cryptolocker. There is no recover from that one. It encrypts all the users files so a system restore doesn't help.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If it is the one I'm thinking of, they got hit by cryptolocker. There is no recover from that one. It encrypts all the users files so a system restore doesn't help.
I must have just had the generic variety of ransom ware then

I knew there was a reason why I make image backups of my system and data on a separate drive.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Ok. I had a few of those T500 or 550's. The hard dive is vertically mounted at the front of the case.

- remove the large screws at back of case. these hold the cover. slide off the cover.
- disconnect the ide cable, disconnect the power cable.
- remove two screws that attach the bracket to the inside front of case.
- remove the front bezel. there are tabs inside the case which you press in. the front bezel comes off.
- locate screws that go through case, into bracket. this is an annoyance that later models do not have
- lift out the bracket and drive.
- remove screws that hold drive to bracket.
- attach the drive to your IDE enclosure or cable.

You might run into a serious amount of dust in the case. If you have allergies, do it outside on a windless day. Some of the steps might be worng. Search youtube for video to help you with various steps. Be sure to get an enclosure or cable that works with IDE.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many people still use windows 98, I still have a PC with Win98 as well as ones with OS/2, DOS/Win3.1 and other OSs.

I still use floppies on the old PCs, Win98 did not come with mass storage drivers for USB but you can download one and install it, then the USB flash drive will work ( or an external USB HD ) I use them on windows 98 without issues.

Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

The IDE/SATA conversion cable are also very useful, work well. I use those a lot when working with older PCs.

HD typically has 4 screws holding in the chassis, very easy to remove. Dell has manuals online. If this is the correct T500 ( XPS ), http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/al...nual_en-us.pdf

Old machines are also becoming collectible and maybe worth some $$$, especially if it is a complete system.
That's it. The primary drive mounts to the front with two screws. My instructions are off, too many steps.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

I agree with Gauss. I purchased that same IDE/SATA to USB kit last month and it worked perfectly. I transferred the contents of 5 old hard drives (some 10 years old) onto a new much larger drive. It just took several hours but it worked perfectly.
twestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I am so impressed by everyone's efforts to help. I even received some help offers via PM.

Yes, I used dial-up on the old machine, right up to 2008! The free dial-up service is still available, but I'm heeding everyone's warnings about modern malware, and won't attempt it. The photo files are almost 2GB and when I tried uploading via dial-up back in 08, the upload just kept crashing.

I did back up the files on zip drives until there got to be too many bytes :-) And then the new PC wouldn't accept the old zip drives, nor would the library computers.

So, as you can see, I did try a lot of things before telling my woeful tale to the forum. I have been a bit afraid of removing the hard drive, but with the detailed instructions on this thread and on Youtube, I will attempt it.

And, I'll report back.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #39

If I remember right I think Win 98 Second Edition had better USB support. Maybe a thumb drive with a driver is what you need.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
If it were me, I would consider buying a USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter such as this: Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter: Computers & Accessories for about $10.
I have had this type of USB-SATA-IDE adapter for years. Mine even came with a power adapter. Very handy in my toolbox. However, the OP has never opened her PC, and seems a bit unsure on how to proceed.

Quote:
...The photo files are almost 2GB and when I tried uploading via dial-up back in 08, the upload just kept crashing.

I did back up the files on zip drives until there got to be too many bytes :-) And then the new PC wouldn't accept the old zip drives, nor would the library computers.
2GB is very small nowadays. That data would rattle inside one of the new USB flash drives the size of your fingernail. And talk about ZIP, oh my! It reminds me of my parallel-port 100M Zip drive, which is still in a storage box in my closet. New computers do not even have a parallel port anymore. And I check to see if Win 7 even has a driver for it. Nope. It's just too painful to wait several minutes to transfer 100MB compared to using flash drives, so nobody bothers writing software for it. Darn. And the blank disks were expensive too.

And speaking of flash drives on Win 98, yes, unlike later Win versions, you would need USB flash drivers for it. The following post covers that.
Quote:
Many people still use windows 98, I still have a PC with Win98 as well as ones with OS/2, DOS/Win3.1 and other OSs.

I still use floppies on the old PCs, Win98 did not come with mass storage drivers for USB but you can download one and install it, then the USB flash drive will work ( or an external USB HD ) I use them on windows 98 without issues.

Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file transfer, old computer, windows 98