Join Early Retirement Today

Help! with Christmas Kindle Present
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help! with Christmas Kindle Present

Please help! I heard DW talking to our daughter on the phone tonight. She told me later that we have a problem. DW has already purchased some gifts for daughter and thought we were finished. Tonight on the phone, daughter told her "I know you are getting me a Kindle". DW was speachless. Where did she come up with this? Because she saw DW making holders for ipads and other electronics devices on her sewing machine. Well, DW denied that she was getting daughter a Kindle and this is true. Guess the kindle will be coming from me.

Now, how do I know what to buy? Went back to some threads about Kindles and Nooks(?) and don't know what I read. All I know is that daughter reads in bed at night and that is it. Any recommendations out there from all you knowledgeable folks? Should I buy her one or give her a gift certificate? I don't know beans about Kindles. HELP!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since you don't have much time left, I'd suggest getting her a $200 gift card from Amazon, which has free one day delivery. Then she could make her own choice. She could either get the Kindle Fire, or she could choose between less costly Kindles and have some left over for e-books.

This could help because she may already have a particular Kindle in mind that she wants.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

You can also buy the Kindle 4 for only $79. You probably still have time to order from Amazon if you pay for overnight shipping. Also, many places like Best Buy stock the Amazon Kindles. I frequent a Kindle forum and a lot of the Touch users complain about the sensitivity of the touch screen. They are always inadvertently touching the screen causing the pages to turn and prefer the Kindles with the side buttons. One poster commented this week tha a fly landed repeatedly on her Touch causing the pages to turn.
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If she reads in bed I would go with the Kindle Fire. It is a tablet with a backlit screen and will work fine in low light in bed. The regular e-ink Kindle will need an attached light or room lights to read in bed. The Fire is more costly but worth it for reading in bed.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Since when do kids receive everything they "know" they are supposed to get?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Good thing your daughter didn't say "I know I'm getting a $500 gift card"
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Since when do kids receive everything they "know" they are supposed to get?
For the life of me I never have understood the games they play. Daughter is 47 and it has always been this way. She starts about Thanksgiving trying to guess what we got her for Christmas. We haven't even been shopping yet but she wants to know what we got her. I don't play that game with her so she is always after DW. Neither one can keep a secret. I always tell her she getting a lump of coal. Something from my childhood my parents always said. If I could find a lump of coal, I'd put it in with the Kindle. DW is researching all the deals on the internet. She loves that stuff. Me? I'm watching the Steelers and the 49ers. Golf tomorrow morning so I've got better things to do. I've been passing all the posts on to DW. Thanks for the help.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If she reads in bed I would go with the Kindle Fire. It is a tablet with a backlit screen and will work fine in low light in bed. The regular e-ink Kindle will need an attached light or room lights to read in bed. The Fire is more costly but worth it for reading in bed.
E-ink should be easier on the eyes to read, especially in the dark (but yes, you will need a light source).

(I don't have any personal experience...yet. The DW's kindle keyboard is wrapped under the tree)
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I agree with W2R. Better to give a gift card so she can choose the Kindle she wants, and you won't have to worry about shipping before the holidays.

My Kindle is the second generation and I have the lighted cover. It works very well for reading in bed. eInk is very easy on the eye.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
For the life of me I never have understood the games they play. Daughter is 47 and it has always been this way... I always tell her she getting a lump of coal... If I could find a lump of coal, I'd put it in with the Kindle...

We have not had to buy presents for our children for many years, and they are only 26 and 23 now. I do not mind spending money for their college costs and other expenses, but having to shop for presents? Arghh... I used to buy things for my wife, then she had to return them because it was not what she liked. Well, that did not even hurt my feelings, because being frugal we both hated to see things not getting used. So, we came to an agreement that she could just get what she wanted, and that worked out well for everybody.

No presents in my household for many years now. Holiday season means lots of food and drink and a merry time. And I even cook. That's it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggz View Post
E-ink should be easier on the eyes to read, especially in the dark (but yes, you will need a light source).

(I don't have any personal experience...yet. The DW's kindle keyboard is wrapped under the tree)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My Kindle is the second generation and I have the lighted cover. It works very well for reading in bed. eInk is very easy on the eye.
The reaction to the screen may vary from individual to individual. DW and I have one of each - A Nook Color (LCD screen) and a Nook Touch (eInk). I actually prefer the LCD screen, particularly in bed. I can adjust the light level and get it perfectly comfortable for a dark room or a bright one.

But the best all possible worlds may be on the horizon for eInk fans. Engaget has a piece on Flex Lighting's front light LED film, a laminate that incorporates a single LED that spreads light laterally across the cover and deflects it down onto the eInk screen. They were able to get nice, continuous light across the page. Sounds like something that may be available in future eInk readers.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Daughter is 47 and it has always been this way. She starts about Thanksgiving trying to guess what we got her for Christmas.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote