Join Early Retirement Today

Help with hotels in New York City
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help with hotels in New York City

My DW, brother, his wife and I are going to New York City for Labor Day and we need some help finding a decent and not too expensive hotel ($200 a night or less) room in Manhattan. I would greatly appreciate any help.
xmanz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanz3 View Post
My DW, brother, his wife and I are going to New York City for Labor Day and we need some help finding a decent and not too expensive hotel ($200 a night or less) room in Manhattan. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Eastgate Towers at 222 E 39th. It's about six blocks from Penn Station and eight from Grand Central. I walked to both with a roller bag and a back pack, admittedly a bit sweaty but a nice stroll.

It wasn't very pretty or shiny but I rented a room with kitchen facilities and two double beds. My relatives were able to rent a two-bedroom suite that was larger than some apartments with a full kitchen to store, prep, & serve dinner. Good pizza & other meals are right around the corner. The hotel provided cheap wireless broadband Internet access for an additional fee. My cousin had stayed there five or six times with nary a problem during the four years her son was at West Point, and she had a good experience with putting up three little old ladies there. We easily walked everyone to Rockefeller Center and had superb connectivity to the rest of the city.

My rate was $278/night (total after fees & taxes) but you may be able to do better with suites and in-room meal prep.

Midtown New York Hotels - New York City Hotel in Midtown - Eastgate Tower Hotel

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NYC is a neat place. Very expensive! A few years back, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Manhattan on Broadway. The rooms were fine. I think we paid about $160/night... definitely under $200/night. It is right in the heart of Time Square. We used Travelocity to book it. But I have had better luck using a Hotel Consolidator. Look on Frommer's site for a reliable consolidator.

You might be able to find better deals off of Broadway.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you don't mind a very short ride on the PATH, try this place: Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson

It is a nice hotel that is right across the water from lower manhattan. Maybe a 10 min train ride to the city, and likely to be a LOT cheaper than NYC hotels.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We like the Roosevelt. Neat, cheap, right in the middle of everything. Having said that, its been a few years since we stayed there.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys!

After doing a little research and you guys suggestions, we decided to book our stay in The Roosevelt Hotel. Any recommendations on getting broadway shows, tours, etc at discount prices?
xmanz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If you don't mind a very short ride on the PATH, try this place: Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson

It is a nice hotel that is right across the water from lower manhattan. Maybe a 10 min train ride to the city, and likely to be a LOT cheaper than NYC hotels.
There are a number over in Jersey that are a PATH ride away.... look for them around Pavonia or Exchange Place stops...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote