Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help with picking winter coat!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Help with picking winter coat!

I never thought this day would come (again).

I am not that cold blooded that I need a parka like I had when we lived in the frozen north of Connecticut. I had a goose down coat that I bought from Land's End and two similar down vests. But they have disappeared after three moves and many downsizing's. Livng here in south Texas I get by with a light jacket and sweatshirts in the winter months.

But these days, I am finding myself ending up in places like Indiana, Canada and Illinois when frigid temps are the norm (0 - 20 F).

So I need to shop for a jacket/coat that is good for 0 to 40 F. I have a few jackets that work well from 40 + F. I also have a fire retardant parka that I wore in North Dakota when it was -25 F, but it is huge and heavy. And it's also a pain to pack for a trip.

So I am looking for recommendations and don't want to spend more than $150 on a winter coat. Preferably a jacket style and lined with down (or the imitation of the day). I did look at this one, but reviewers are saying these are "not as good as the original, BC (before China)":

Mountain Ops Jacket | Eddie Bauer

Any recommendations? Quality is important, but that may be a distant memory these days.

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Find a Sears with an in-house Lands End store. Their down coats should be on clearance now. Last year I picked up a commuter coat for about 60 percent off the original list price. I have bought all my winter clothes on clearance there for the last few years.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wear a lands end squall when I ski, it works for me down to 0F. They are a good deal now.

Men's Squall Parka from Lands' End
Old 01-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I wear a lands end squall when I ski, it works for me down to 0F. They are a good deal now.

Men's Squall Parka from Lands' End
Now that's a good price on that coat. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

REI is having a clearance sale right now, too. Features I look for in a winter coat are: waterproof (Gortex type breathable fabric), long enough to cover my butt, easily accessible hand pockets, a hood position adjuster to adjust it from blocking my vision and a coarse zipper so it doesn't jam easily.

REI – Top-Brand Clothing, Gear, Footwear and Expert Advice for All Your Outdoor Adventures
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Now is a good time to practice LBYM, since winter coats are on sale! A bit longer to cover/partially cover your butt and keep wind from getting in around your torso makes a big difference. Also a collar that you can snug up helps in the wind. I like pockets that I can put my hands in, even with gloves on. Windproof fabric helps as well.

That Squall parka looks like a good choice.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who absolutely swears by anything Patagonia. My sister loves her long Patagonia coat. I think they are very pricey, but you can't beat the durability, and of course the fabled backstory of the founder.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

I swear by LL Bean, for both boots and winter coats. I think this is the one I have:

Men's Rugged Ridge Parka | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Tough to find availability this time of year, though. They typically sell out much of their best winter gear by now.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I swear by LL Bean, for both boots and winter coats. I think this is the one I have:

Men's Rugged Ridge Parka | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Tough to find availability this time of year, though. They typically sell out much of their best winter gear by now.
Thanks, I've had L.L. Bean stuff when I lived back east. Looks like a lot of sites are short on inventory at this time of year the more I poke around.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's another source to check out for online clearance deals.
Burlington Coat Factory

Coats | Puffer Jackets | Raincoats | Moto Jackets | Leather Jackets
Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Here's another source to check out for online clearance deals.
Burlington Coat Factory

Coats | Puffer Jackets | Raincoats | Moto Jackets | Leather Jackets
Thanks! Lots of choices...lots of sold out jackets too. But that's to be expected. I think Burlington just opened a store near us this winter. I'll go have a look tomorrow. DD likes stuff from that retailer.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

This is what I bought for a trip to Fairbanks, AK this March:

Carhartt J133 - Carhartt Extremes Arctic Active Jacket - Quilt Lined at Dungarees

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Kind of stiff right now, but lighter than I thought it would be. It's supposed to be their warmest insulation.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

aja8888- I would recommend an insulated Carhartt jacket with a hood like the one in the previous post by Animorph. I have one and have worn it down to -20.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
This is what I bought for a trip to Fairbanks, AK this March:

Carhartt J133 - Carhartt Extremes Arctic Active Jacket - Quilt Lined at Dungarees

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Kind of stiff right now, but lighter than I thought it would be. It's supposed to be their warmest insulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
aja8888- I would recommend an insulated Carhartt jacket with a hood like the one in the previous post by Animorph. I have one and have worn it down to -20.
Thanks, that looks like the one I will order seeing they have my size and the price is right. Plus the hood...
Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Filson wool vest is good for layering under your jacket to make it warmer, can shed the jacket if you are active while keeping the core warm, long life product too.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote