Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
From (my admittedly biased) west coast perspective you appear to be moving from a location with really, really, really crappy weather to a location with only really, really crappy weather.

My take is that the important metrics are the hours of "outside activity time" and the hours of "sunshine time" per week.

If you move from a place where you don't get outside because it is 0F to a place where it is only 10F is it going to make that much of a difference?
We all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to weather. I am a 4 season person. That may change...then we go to Plan B.

Another way to look at this is I am moving from an area with DAILY lake effect snow from Lake Ontario (sometimes measured in feet) and NOTHING TO DO to an area with the occasional Nor'easter with lots of opportunities. Snow is not the problem...it is the rural area I currently live in. I may not have adequately described just how "out in the country" I am. One traffic light on the state highway leading to my country road. Operating dairy farm just 1/4 mile away.
Yes, Virginia, places like that still do exist. What was ideal in youth has become annoying in middle age.

My 4WD Jeep and being FIREd puts a different spin on driving in snow no matter where I am in the NE. Just wait until the commuter traffic is done and let the plows go through.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm glad she's willing to live in those places so that the government doesn't make us move there to fulfill some sort of quota...
The name of that place would be Minot ND.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Frankly, I'm beginning to worry about Mr Boston. Who is looking out for him?

After all, he's just getting ready to move with (in her own words) a sassafrassing tough talkin' little cuss, who also describes herself (just in this thread) as an adventurer, a chameleon, annoying and a free bird! Oh, and she's an engineer to boot! And not the marrying kind.

Anyone else worried about Mr. Boston?

All the best to you Freebird - you'll be just fine!
These "wallflower" qualities are the things that attracted him to me in the first place.
He needs and has found an intellectual equal and a non-game playing female (BONUS POINTS).