Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
FDude, Greenville is probably a better value, too. And not so far from the beach. However, I'd never consider the NC mtns--it is too cold and there are too many Yankee transplants, oh, wait, never mind. Yeah, that's not a bad place either.
a-HA, the truth comes out.

I'm just teasin' y'all.

Hmmm...do I need a special license to say "y'all" ?

Actually I have a great time when I am down south. I get the Noo Yawker thing over with, usually get a good laugh, and then just act naturally, with manners and no ugly "but we don't do that up north" nonsense. Ptui!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered, FB. Best wishes to you in this new adventure!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
OK, I'll bite. Congratulations on the new relationship. And that's the issue: it is quite a new relationship if I'm not mistaken! How well do you know the Favorite Bostonian? Well enough, apparently, to sell your home and follow him, with him doing all the business planning. Is this the Freebird that we know and love?

Now let's do a risk assessment. What's the worst that could happen?
1. You can't sell your house and are financially in the hole. The advantage of this scenario is that you have somewhere to return to if the romance fails.
2. You do sell your house, move to New England, and hate it. What are you going to do then?
3. You sell your house, move to New England, and break up with Mr. Boston after you find he is a money chasing swindler and has been diddling your finances. Nasty lawsuit ensues. You are now both poor and miserable.
4. You sell your house, move to New England, and are treated horribly by the Boston "family". You are miserable, but not poor, so at least you can make your own way.

My big worry would be #3. FGS keep your finances separate and manage them yourself.

You did asked for the tough challenges, eh?
I read this the other day during my lunch at work. Meadbh put into words exactly what I was thinking, but was not courageous enough to write.

I was thinking that you are moving too fast. This is really pretty funny though, since I married my DH exactly 1 month from the day that we met and we have been married for 38 years now. The only difference is that we were both poor and had nothing to lose! I have definitely become more conservative the older I get and it is a good thing in one way and a not so good thing in another way. Life really is short and one can play it too safe sometimes.

I wish you much happiness and hope that everything works out for you. I hope that if I ever find myself a widow that I am as courageous as you are.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FDude, Greenville is probably a better value, too. And not so far from the beach. However, I'd never consider the NC mtns--it is too cold and there are too many Yankee transplants, oh, wait, never mind. Yeah, that's not a bad place either.
Yeah, Charleston tolerates Yankees, but that's about it. According to our carriage driver, its NOT the "Civil War", but one of the three following:

1)The War of NORTHERN AGGRESSION
2)The War Between THE STATES (Confederate and Union)
3)The TIME OF UNPLEASANTRIES ()

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Yeah, Charleston tolerates Yankees, but that's about it. According to our carriage driver, its NOT the "Civil War", but one of the three following:

1)The War of NORTHERN AGGRESSION
2)The War Between THE STATES (Confederate and Union)
3)The TIME OF UNPLEASANTRIES ()
Wait, yeah, that's right, isn't it? That's what our history books said. Oh, and your belly button is where a Yankee shot you!

j/k--and everyone can say y'all, but you've got to agree to like grits first.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Sung to the (Northern) Battle Hymn of the Republic

We'll bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
We will bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
We will bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
And the South will reign supreme!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Dixie Victorious: An Alternate History of the Civil War (9781853675959): Peter G Tsouras: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Dex, how bizarre--I never knew there was a genre called alt-history to begin with. Look, we don't need any help here in SC looking like a freakshow as we can do that pretty well without an alternate end to the war. LOL!

And, Free, sorry to hijack your thread with our Dixiecrat chatter!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean.
Way too limited -- you're not thinking outside the box.

Unless you like winter weather, Oregon or Washington coast is the place for you. Unless you don't like fog.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wait, yeah, that's right, isn't it? That's what our history books said. Oh, and your belly button is where a Yankee shot you!

j/k--and everyone can say y'all, but you've got to agree to like grits first.
Forgot to tell ya, my family lineage is from Mississippi, so I guess I was a Southerner before I was a Yankee...........

So, I love grits, deep-fried alligator, gumbo, Tabasco, and most everything a "good ole" Southern boy should. When I visited my aunt and uncle in Greenville, they were amazed at how I could turn off and on my Southern accent..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm just teasin' y'all.

Hmmm...do I need a special license to say "y'all" ?
No license at all. And if you need some directions for that area, this lady might be of some help.

Bill Cosby, understanding Southern. video on CastTV Video Search
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
No license at all. And if you need some directions for that area, this lady might be of some help.

Bill Cosby, understanding Southern. video on CastTV Video Search
I love this! Reminds me of the Abbot and Costello routine, Who's On First.

My favorite part is when they are talking about her grandchild, Cosby asks her "They drop the baby off?" and she replies-
"Whey-ah?"

Ha
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I read this the other day during my lunch at work. Meadbh put into words exactly what I was thinking, but was not courageous enough to write.

I was thinking that you are moving too fast. This is really pretty funny though, since I married my DH exactly 1 month from the day that we met and we have been married for 38 years now. The only difference is that we were both poor and had nothing to lose! I have definitely become more conservative the older I get and it is a good thing in one way and a not so good thing in another way. Life really is short and one can play it too safe sometimes.

I wish you much happiness and hope that everything works out for you. I hope that if I ever find myself a widow that I am as courageous as you are.
Thank you for the compliment for courage and good wishes.

I have a lifelong habit of landing on my feet. I understand the risks involved here. So does Mr Boston. We are both talking about the "what if's" openly and directly. I have actually met someone who is more blunt than I am.

I need to define "fast". In my experience, 6 hours was the time lapse between my secure married life and widowhood. All else pales by comparison. I do not intend to be grim here, but it is what it is.

We are brainstorming in real time. The final decision is mine. It is not a case of move or lose him. We can always visit. I am the one pushing the move.

No pressure is being applied. I see a window of opportunity, and if my past life experience is any guide, I use those to my advantage.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Way too limited -- you're not thinking outside the box.

Unless you like winter weather, Oregon or Washington coast is the place for you. Unless you don't like fog.
Excellent! Believe it or not, I have been thinking about relocating for a long time. I have been reading the posts about cities and climate and doing my own "list" for at least 2 years. Interesting considering the timeline of this year's events, hmmm?

This move will serve a lot of purposes for both of us. But I will not post those on a public site.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frankly, I'm beginning to worry about Mr Boston. Who is looking out for him?

After all, he's just getting ready to move with (in her own words) a sassafrassing tough talkin' little cuss, who also describes herself (just in this thread) as an adventurer, a chameleon, annoying and a free bird! Oh, and she's an engineer to boot! And not the marrying kind.

Anyone else worried about Mr. Boston?

All the best to you Freebird - you'll be just fine!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ask ME the tough questions. It will help me focus...

Fire away folks. There may be things I have not thought about.
From (my admittedly biased) west coast perspective you appear to be moving from a location with really, really, really crappy weather to a location with only really, really crappy weather.

My take is that the important metrics are the hours of "outside activity time" and the hours of "sunshine time" per week.

If you move from a place where you don't get outside because it is 0F to a place where it is only 10F is it going to make that much of a difference?
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Freebird.........Best of luck to you! I would say......If you have thought it over carefully, which it appears you definitely have, go for it!

Just two things to keep in mind......Like Suzie Ormand says of older couples.....Do NOT co-mingle any assets or financial accounts.....

And two.....this one from me......Keep you eyes open and your head on straight with Mr. Boston......Unfortunately, it seems we all have to be with someone at least a year before the "true" person comes out. Hopefully, he will stay as wonderful as he is now........but, if he doesn't.....do not make excuses for him....cut your losses and and leave. And make sure you always have the resources to do that! Hope I wasn't too honest.....I'm talking to you like I would a sister, even if she didn't want to hear it!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
From (my admittedly biased) west coast perspective you appear to be moving from a location with really, really, really crappy weather to a location with only really, really crappy weather.
I'm glad she's willing to live in those places so that the government doesn't make us move there to fulfill some sort of quota...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

My daughter has lived in both areas Western Mass. then Boston and now in west nowhere New York and the difference between Mass & nowhere New York is occasionally the snow does melt in Mass .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My daughter has lived in both areas Western Mass. then Boston and now in west nowhere New York and the difference between Mass & nowhere New York is occasionally the snow does melt in Mass .