Here kitty, kitty....

Am I looking at this skull wrong or are the eyes on the sides of the head instead of forward facing like most hunters?
saber-tooth-278x225.jpg

Am I looking at this skull wrong or are the eyes on the sides of the head instead of forward facing like most hunters?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Here's another interesting fact about this find:

"the skull of the newly found cat was small enough to fit in the palm of your hand"

Source: Sabre tooth tiger fossil discovered | Herald Sun

So, not a big kitty at all. Just big ole fangs in comparison to the body. I would love to see what this animal looked like in life. Not much like my former foster kitty Peggy Sue I suspect...

Attachments

• Peggy Sue.jpg
    Peggy Sue.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
I would love to see what this animal looked like in life. Not much like my former foster kitty Peggy Sue I suspect...

maybe, maybe not...:blush:

Attachments

• sabretoothkitten.jpg
    sabretoothkitten.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
The whole saber tooth thing is a puzzle - seems awfully awkward for eating, and in the case of this kitty I imagine this scene:

Saberkitteh lurks unseen in the shadows awaiting prey. Giant platypus waddles by and saberkitteh leaps on it's back and plunges her fangs deep in the muscle of platy's neck. Platypus quacks out in pain (no echo from the surrounding cliffs) and accelerates her waddle, dislodging kitteh's grip with her claws. Two days later Platy is still waddling on as saberkitteh swings back and forth on platy's neck hanging by her fangs and thinking, "thibs ib a hegck ob a fix - my lower jaw can moobe bud nod my ubpper - how do i ged thebe fangs unstugck?"

Two days later Platy is still waddling on as saberkitteh swings back and forth on platy's neck hanging by her fangs and thinking, "thibs ib a hegck ob a fix - my lower jaw can moobe bud nod my ubpper - how do i ged thebe fangs unstugck?"

If saberkitteh is big like this one, Platy wouldn't waddle on. Also, big paws could help get fangs unstuck.

Here's a tiger skull for comparison.

I've got a Leopard skull and a Mountain Lion skull here in my office, they look exactly the same as the tiger (but smaller, of course)

The eye sockets do look a bit offset to the side on the bare skull, but when you consider the eyes are sitting above the massive jaw/cheek muscles and the hide, the geometry is right.

Back
Top Bottom