Hey Al...someone mentioned wine lovers and it reminded me...

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I forget where I saw it...might have been Cooks Illustrated, might have been Consumer Reports...but someone did a thing on saving partial bottles of wine and I remembered you were asking about that a while back.

They got some good results from systems like the ones with the rubber stoppers and suction pumps, but their best results were from pouring the unused wine into clean, empty 16oz plastic water bottles right up to the top, then firmly sealing with the original cap. No air in the bottle to cause a problem. If red, leave at room temp. If white, return to the refrigerator.

Their staff of oenophiles couldnt detect any significant difference between wine 'saved' this was for up to several days and a freshly opened bottle. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, I had talked/asked about that. That's amazing that it worked so well for them. I'll have to try it again.

What I'd tried was pouring it into a half-size wine bottle right to the top, putting the cork in and putting it in the fridge. But I'll try it with a soda bottle.

Thanks for the tip. This could get me back into drinking wine again!

Now me, if I saw half a bottle of wine, I wouldnt be wondering how to store it in the first place.

Somebody explain to me how/why you have partial bottles left over. Are you opening Magnums or something? If there are other wine lovers on this board, let's hear from them. One of the reasons I haven't FIREd already is my wine collection.

setab

setab said:
One of the reasons I haven't FIREd already is my wine collection.
I guess that could always be sold to pay living expenses.

Wine consumption is another issue...

But if you drink your wine by the box (as many do here), why worry about an open bottle of wine? :D

We tried the box thing on Al, but I think he's too good for the box.

Maybe I should edit that.

Nah.

Nords,

I do plan to liguidate my collection, but I could never take money for it!

setab

Another use for old red wine is to get some vinegar culture and make red wine vinegar. You need an old bottle, some vinegar culture, cover the top with a loose fabric and leave for a few months, walla, red wine vinegar! Best use of course is to finish it, but if it's like your 4th bottle or something it might be a good use for it......shredder

PS if your serious-- two  parts red wine, one part water, add  vinegar culture, cover bottle with cheese cloth, keep warm, wait several months.

ex_CFO_now_RVer said:
Agree with setab, I just cant remember when we had a partial bottle of wine left over!

Dave

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread. Chardonnay and super hot salsa are staple items for me. I never have half empty wine bottles or partially used super hot salsa hanging out in my refrigerator.

Somebody explain to me how/why you have partial bottles left over.

I'm the only wine drinker in the house. If I drink a full bottle of wine with dinner, I'll be passed out on the couch in an hour.

I've tried the box thing. For one box it worked great, but the other three that I've tried, the wine started tasting bad (i.e. worse) after a week or so.

TromboneAl said:
I'm the only wine drinker in the house.  If I drink a full bottle of wine with dinner, I'll be passed out on the couch in an hour.

I've tried the box thing.  For one box it worked great, but the other three that I've tried, the wine started tasting bad (i.e. worse) after a week or so.

Al,

Looks like you need to work on your tolerance level by increasing your input a little each day until you too can polish off a bottle of wine without crashing on the couch. 

It is an acquired skill.   :D

edited to fix typos... ::)

SteveR said:
Al,

Looks like you need to work on you tolerance level but increasing your input a little each day until you too can polish off a bottle of wine without crashing on the couch.

It is an acquired skill. :D

I'll drink to that! :D (hic-cup)

Back
Top Bottom