Join Early Retirement Today

Hey, dude, is that a fin?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, dude, is that a fin?

Happy Monday, everyone.* Rush hour is winding down and I'm headed to the beach as soon as the schoolbus picks up our kid.*

This one has been around for a couple years but it's still priceless... and it won't be in my thoughts while I'm sitting out there looking at the scenery.* Nope, not at all.* With the end of the storm surge still producing 3-5, I'm hoping that I'll be too busy paddling & popping.

(It's OK, TH, this story has a happy ending.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharkbait.JPG (28.6 KB, 108 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hey, dude, is that a fin?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, a couple days ago a local south bay surfer was bitten rather severly by a sea lion, while he was walking to the water no less!* :P

Old 06-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #3

But that's a dolphin. No worries there.

The surfing spot 10 minutes from my house has lots of sharks. We get about one attack per year. I know the chances of an attack are low, but I don't surf there anymore, instead I drive about an hour north to Crescent City.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Screw that. I would turn my board around and hike it back to shore. Guess I've seen too many Jaws movies in my time.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, looks like a dolphin to me. Not sure the surfer could tell. Probably had to clean out the wetsuit after that one. I'll sometimes get a glimpse of a turtle surfacing for air, what was that!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd have walked back to shore on the surface of the water, and gladly given anyone else in the area a piggyback ride. Dolphin, land shark, white shark, small whale, blob of jello...any which way.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The perfect surfing day.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The perfect surfing day.

If such a thing really exists, today was the perfect surfing day. Indulge me while I reminisce.

Plenty of sunshine with occasional shady clouds, water temps in the high 70s (rash guard only), lots of attractive beach scenery. (Hey, stop drooling-- I'm talking about the monk seal hauled out for a snooze.) Unlike some stormy days, paddling out wasn't an exercise in surging & slamming salt-water masochism. The surf was actually 4-6 feet with a little offshore breeze to pile them up and enough of a current to keep them breaking both left & right (party waves). It was fast enough to blow your ponytail around but slow enough to give you time to experiment (and to maybe get away with being a little sloppy). There were only about 20 people out there at 9 AM (Monday) and only a dozen an hour later. One of the women was wearing a string bikini tied so tightly that I'm sure her blood flow was affected in several places. (OK, you can drool now. It was sure hurting the guys in her vicinity.) Conditions were very clean-- you'd paddle out, catch the next wave a few seconds later, and ride it all the way to the beach. You'd paddle out again, see the next wave coming, and your arms would whine "But we just got here!" It didn't really matter-- you didn't have to have a lot of acceleration or speed to catch these. I even saw a couple tandem surfing.

And just when you thought that things couldn't possibly get any better, the White Plains Beach snack shack has opened for summer business!

Life is good.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #8

I'm drooling about the surfing. Here it's 51 degree water, full wetsuit with hood, booties and gloves.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Bad day at Blackrock here.

Water temp low 80's, got to 92 today. Went to Ace and got some screen door hinges and hung the last screen door in the screen room on the back deck - wired up the bug sapper - inspected the old barbeque - looks like a new one is needed - only about three Waveriders out(Monday) - the neighbors dogs came over(four) took everyone out to throw the ball and swim - B.S'd with the neighbor a little - retired to the A/C.

Pretty boring day in ER.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:47 PM   #10

Re: The perfect surfing day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If such a thing really exists, today was the perfect surfing day.* Indulge me while I reminisce.

Plenty of sunshine with occasional shady clouds, water temps in the high 70s (rash guard only), lots of attractive beach scenery.* (Hey, stop drooling-- I'm talking about the monk seal hauled out for a snooze.)* Unlike some stormy days, paddling out wasn't an exercise in surging & slamming salt-water masochism.* The surf was actually 4-6 feet with a little offshore breeze to pile them up and enough of a current to keep them breaking both left & right (party waves).* It was fast enough to blow your ponytail around but slow enough to give you time to experiment (and to maybe get away with being a little sloppy).* There were only about 20 people out there at 9 AM (Monday) and only a dozen an hour later.* One of the women was wearing a string bikini tied so tightly that I'm sure her blood flow was affected in several places.* (OK, you can drool now.* It was sure hurting the guys in her vicinity.)* Conditions were very clean-- you'd paddle out, catch the next wave a few seconds later, and ride it all the way to the beach.* You'd paddle out again, see the next wave coming, and your arms would whine "But we just got here!"* It didn't really matter-- you didn't have to have a lot of acceleration or speed to catch these.* I even saw a couple tandem surfing.*

And just when you thought that things couldn't possibly get any better, the White Plains Beach snack shack has opened for summer business!

Life is good.
May you get a large boil on your neck
This post makes me Grumpy!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Took the dogs for a walk last night along a sandy Lake Superior beach. Absolutely no one there. Pretty big waves crashing in--probably about 5 feet. Looked like you could surf them. Water temperature, 41.2 degrees. Air temperature about 48. Nice walk. Really.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

95 here yesterday. Water in my pool ~80 degrees. No waves. No surfboard. No sharks. Well, three land sharks that looked like they wanted to get in but they had to suffer with their little 4' kiddie pool.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #13

Nords,
Shark or dolphin, that sucker would be swimming in brown and yellow water had I been there.

I would like to see that string; just how tight was it? Could she need resuscitation?

Oh, it's 95-75, no rain, and scarcely a drop of water here. It's a hot time in the summertime... Those temps will last, as a general rule, until 3rd week in September.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Took the dogs for a walk last night along a sandy Lake Superior beach. Absolutely no one there. Pretty big waves crashing in--probably about 5 feet. Looked like you could surf them. Water temperature, 41.2 degrees. Air temperature about 48. Nice walk. Really.
Let's look at this from a different perspective:

Somebody dragged my butt along for walk on the beach last nite. That person was the DW (al least I show some respect!). Waves about 3-4 feet. Felt like you would freeze your feet if they got wet, have to have them amputated. Water temp: 41.2 Air temp: 48 Wind Chill: -15. Horrible walk. Really.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottebandito
Screw that.* I would turn my board around and hike it back to shore.* Guess I've seen too many Jaws movies in my time.

Me too! - And then I'd run to the car to get my Fly Rod!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
wearing a string bikini tied so tightly
Am I missing something here? How does tying a bikini more tightly make it sexier? If it's a string bikini, tying the string tighter doesn't make the fabric tighter, right?

Please explain -- using photos.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #17

Check out what's in these barrels:
http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/200...8_tubetime.cfm
Old 06-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: The perfect surfing day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The surf was actually 4-6 feet with a little offshore breeze to pile them up
Wow, that sounds great. The waves are only double-knee high on our leeward shore. Looks like there is more to come tomorrow, but the trades have been very strong.