Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, great job connie! Keep it rolling!!!

Please mail apple pie

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #42

Nords and Connie- congratulations on the terrific profiles.

PS- You both look very happy in your photos!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Yes, great job connie! Keep it rolling!!!

Please mail apple pie
Apple pie or other flavors (I found fresh rhubarb at the produce store this week!!!) can be available with a fresh pot of coffee anytime you want to swing by!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
So when does the Surfer Dude/Pie Lady Investment Newsletter get launched?

Hey don't let the leverage slip away...it's only 15 minutes!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Nords & Connie ! I can't wait to read the whole article.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #46

I thought that was the whole article.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I thought that was the whole article.
Yep, that's-that's-that's all folks...

I'm baffled by the economics of journalism. I suspect I'm baffled because there really isn't any.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So when does the Surfer Dude/Pie Lady Investment Newsletter get launched?

Hey don't let the leverage slip away...it's only 15 minutes!
Newsletter?....that might make a good comic book title...congrats Connie and Nords....
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yep, that's-that's-that's all folks...

I'm baffled by the economics of journalism. I suspect I'm baffled because there really isn't any.
The economics of journalism are simple -- leave plenty of room for advertisements!

Seriously though, nice profile article Nords. You look relaxed and happy, as I'm sure five years of retirement would cause you to be. Personally, I'd like to retire around 41, or at least do something with my time that would allow me full and complete control over my life. My wife, on the other hand, will probably never retire, as she loves being...drum roll please...a financial planner. She's actually quite good at it, and would like to go independent (and therefore fee/hourly-based) in a few years once we have kids. Now before any of you start making jokes at her expense, she's had plenty of opportunities (and been pushed by her employers) to maximize fees at the expense of her clients. She has refused, and even threatened to quit (and take her clients with her) if she was ever pressured to do so again. I'm proud of her. Me? I'm a lawyer and will do anything for a buck.

Apologies for the detour. Let's hear it for a (long) board celebrity!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rumor has it Spielberg is interested in doing the screenplay. Any truth to that, Nords?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rumor has it Spielberg is interested in doing the screenplay. Any truth to that, Nords?
I had hoped that we'd all quietly forgotten the high-energy shenanigans of those wild-eyed boys in "The Hunt for Red October"...

I don't think we'll hear from Michael Moore, either!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #52

Hey Nords,
Nicely done. I sure would like to see you up on your board though. Perhaps the next time we go to Kata?

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 06-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Hey Nords,
Nicely done. I sure would like to see you up on your board though. Perhaps the next time we go to Kata?
Your Kata pictures were great... our kid has three years of high school left before we're empty-nesters. Spouse and I will figure this out somehow.

I noticed an unusually high number of goofy-footers there!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #54

Hi Connie and Nords!

I wanted to weigh in on this too -- Excellent! Yahooza!

I thought Corey did a good job of selecting a variety of people with different styles of Financial Independence. Shows that there isn't 'just' one way of doing it.

Congratulations on decisions well made and for living a fulfilling life. (Photos were good too!)

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 06-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #55

Not sure what Goofy Footers are, but I did see a guy do a headstand on the board...twice!

You would love it there in Kata. This may be a pipe dream, but we are considering splitting operations and having two longterm locations here. We all had a great time.

Again congratulations on the article.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 06-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure what Goofy Footers are...
Left-handed surfer: right foot forward, leash on the left ankle, facing to port when riding. (It feels wrong just to write the description!) I surf with a goofy so we have to make sure that she's on my left (turning left) and I'm on her right (turning right) when we catch a party wave. Otherwise... well... good thing we have the safety fins.

Quote:
... but I did see a guy do a headstand on the board...twice!
Showoff. He deserves the hair wax. But I'd be really impressed if he was hanging 10 fingers!

Quote:
You would love it there in Kata. This may be a pipe dream, but we are considering splitting operations and having two longterm locations here. We all had a great time.
Man, it's on my list. I've seen Chiang Mai and it must take a lot to get you away from there...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Left-handed surfer: right foot forward, leash on the left ankle, facing to port when riding.
Oh cool! so I'm a goofy-footer !!

Quote:
(It feels wrong just to write the description!) I surf with a goofy so we have to make sure that she's on my left (turning left) and I'm on her right (turning right) when we catch a party wave. Otherwise... well... good thing we have the safety fins.
Oh dang! not a good thing!

I'm right-handed. Does that make a difference? :confused: (I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04Jun17-26 Hawaii 152 280x215 Crop.jpg (66.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
Oh cool! so I'm a goofy-footer !!
Oh dang! not a good thing!
I'm right-handed. Does that make a difference? :confused: (I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)
Tomato, tomahto. I live with two left-handed women who both surf goofy-foot. There's nothing wrong with being a goofy-footer, it's just different. It only has that name because we righties got there first again.

I know right-handed people who surf goofy-footed. Whichever makes you more comfortable. Most people wear the leash on their back foot, but if you prefer to have it on your front foot then just wear a longer leash-- or (*gasp*) no leash at all. Not having a leash greatly improves your mobility and you'll have to lose the leash if you ever want to hang ten.*

I had a college roomate who golfed left-handed. I winced every time he swung a club because I just couldn't imagine my body parts twisting in that direction. But eventually I learned that it was a good thing to develop a left-handed swing and to have one left-handed club in my bag for certain awkward situations.

Same with surfers. You have the distinction of being able to surf frontside on left-breaking waves that I always surf backside. If you regularly surf a left break then you'll enjoy more waves than the frustrated backsiders who are looking for their rights.

But if you can switch then you can surf anything...

*If you're unleashed at crowded breaks, the other surfers would greatly appreciate it if you kept a hand or foot on your board at all times so that it didn't turn into an unguided missile. If you keep a firm grip then you won't have to swim all the way to the beach to recover it after a wipeout, either.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #59

Nords:
Quote:
Showoff. He deserves the hair wax. But I'd be really impressed if he was hanging 10 fingers!
Imagine that!! Personally, I thought it was rather skillful, but then I'm not a very good swimmer and I was running in and out of the surf if the waves got to be 'too big' -- fraidy cat!

Quote:
Man, it's on my list. I've seen Chiang Mai and it must take a lot to get you away from there...
Kata is stunning. We didn't do much checking of Phuket Town... however there are big markets like Tesco and Big C if one wants to live there more full time. We just lived the simple life. Seaview hotel room, ate at the beach side restaurants, swam, read books, and had great conversations with friends.
Linney

Quote:
(I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)
You look GREAT Linney! I'm jealous!

Quote:
Same with surfers. You have the distinction of being able to surf frontside on left-breaking waves that I always surf backside. If you regularly surf a left break then you'll enjoy more waves than the frustrated backsiders who are looking for their rights.
:confused: right side, left side, back side,... this has got my dyslexia going! which way is UP? ha!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #60

Nords, it was a thrill to see you and Connie featured in the magazine--I couldn't wait to show my (younger) boss the article. Just a day before, my older boss (71) brought me a Barron's magazine with a title article of "100 Top Female Advisors" with an admonition that I should be working towards that goal. When I said didn't want to put that much time in, he said "but if you could make really big money, you'd do it, right?" I said "honestly, no." He scoffed.
Both magazines were side-by-side on my table when my younger boss sized them up and asked me "so, which one of those articles would YOU rather be in?" and of course, my answer was the FIRE article. He chuckled knowingly and agreed. Something I could never explain to the older boss.
Thanks to both of you for being such great role models--I'm pinning those pages up in my home office for inspiration, next to my thermometer graphs!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote