Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords, You should be proud of your accomplishments. However, I'll not be "pinning up" your photo for inspiration...

Maybe Linney's, though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Grats to you both! If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?
Corey Hajim posted here asking for volunteers. The Kaderlis had interviewed me a few months before so I pointed her to their website where Billy & Akaisha's work convinced her to send a couple freelance photographers an extra 2500 miles.

While she was checking me out, I was able to find enough of her articles to convince me that she knew what she was doing. When we read as many journalists on this board as we do, it doesn't take long to separate the skilled from the, uhm, not-so-skilled.

I'd already surrendered my anonymity before Corey posted. What originally led me to that decision was curiosity over why so many veterans pursue a second career after the military. I want to hear from more vets about what they're thinking (in my case it was "not much") and why they made their decisions.

Having a COLA pension and $460/year health insurance would help anyone (let alone active-duty retirees) to become ERs but it just doesn't seem to happen. In my case I never even considered that we'd be able to make it work until my father prompted me. But if spouse & I knew at age 21 what we knew at 41 then we would have been much better prepared with purposeful (not deployment-imposed) LBYM and maximized tax-deferred savings. I would've learned a lot more about asset allocation and low-cost index funds, too. Admittedly the 1982 literature was a little sparse but it was there.

So far the answers from most veterans & spouses are:
1. We didn't save any money, and/or
2. It never occurred to us to retire before age 65...

Of course the answers from this board's veterans are pretty much "Run, Forrest, run!!" One of the military couples on this board even managed to leave active duty for ER before they were eligible for pensions or cheap healthcare. Admittedly they could be accused of practicing "extreme ER" but if they can do it their way then the pension & healthcare can make it a slam-dunk.

An additional factor with Corey was that she really didn't want to talk about money or investing. Her focus was lifestyle. All the pension/salary info in my part of her article is publicly available on DoD websites.

I'm not sure that I'd be interested in having a financial magazine pore over our brokerage statements. Short of guys like Bernstein, Ferri, Burns, & Swedroe I haven't met many journalists who understand more than the rudiments of asset allocation & volatility risk. Trying to deal with the reasoning behind our pension & portfolio would blow the gaskets of the Money & Kiplinger's writers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Nords, You should be proud of your accomplishments. However, I'll not be "pinning up" your photo for inspiration... Maybe Linney's, though...
So you aspire to be a girl on a surfboard? :confused:

(Connie and Nords -- I read both your articles online at CNNMoney.com. Great job! And I'd be interested to hearing your responses to the question that NinjaPigeon just posted....)
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thanks to both of you for being such great role models--I'm pinning those pages up in my home office for inspiration, next to my thermometer graphs!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?
Corey Hajim posted here asking for volunteers. The Kaderlis had interviewed me a few months before so I pointed her to their website where Billy & Akaisha's work convinced her to send a couple freelance photographers an extra 2500 miles.

While she was checking me out, I was able to find enough of her articles to convince me that she knew what she was doing. She's not just a freelancer hoping for a hook. When we read as many journalists on this board as we do, it doesn't take long to separate the skilled from the, uhm, not-so-skilled.

I'd already surrendered my anonymity before Corey posted. What originally led me to that decision was curiosity over why so many veterans pursue a second career after the military. I want to hear from more vets about what they're thinking (in my case it was "not much") and why they made their decisions.

Having a COLA pension and $460/year health insurance would help anyone (let alone active-duty retirees) to become ERs but it just doesn't seem to happen. In my case I never even considered that we'd be able to make it work until my father prompted me. But if spouse & I knew at age 21 what we knew at 41 then we would have been much better prepared with purposeful (not deployment-imposed) LBYM and maximized tax-deferred savings. I would've learned a lot more about asset allocation and low-cost index funds, too. Admittedly the 1982 literature was a little sparse but it was there.

So far the answers from most veterans & spouses are:
1. We didn't save any money, and/or
2. It never occurred to us to retire before age 65...

Of course the answers from this board's veterans are pretty much "Run, Forrest, run!!" One of the military couples on this board even managed to leave active duty for ER before they were eligible for pensions or cheap healthcare. Admittedly they could be accused of practicing "extreme ER" but if they can do it their way then the pension & healthcare can make it a slam-dunk.

An additional factor with Corey was that she really didn't want to talk about money or investing. Her focus was lifestyle. All the pension/salary info in my part of her article is publicly available on DoD websites.

I'm not sure that I'd be interested in having a financial magazine pore over our brokerage statements. Short of guys like Bernstein, Ferri, Burns, & Swedroe I haven't met many journalists who understand more than the rudiments of asset allocation & volatility risk. Trying to deal with the reasoning behind our pension & portfolio would blow the gaskets of the Money & Kiplinger's writers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
So you aspire to be a girl on a surfboard? :confused:

Not much surfing in Missoula Texas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good article Nords

Going on the talk circuit anytime soon?

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Good article Nords
Going on the talk circuit anytime soon?
Hey, we already have the world's best audience right here on the board, and without jet lag or hotel food!

I've learned that I can write or talk but not both...

Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was helping housemate clean out the magazine "pile" - and lo and behold, the issue that is the topic of this thread surfaced...addressed to a tenant of hers from several years ago! (yes, the magazine keeps coming, and since it is $$$ related, gets tossed in the basket. I was flipping through (since the cover mentioned early retirement success stories) and went. "wow - here is Nords, here is Connie!" - she was very impressed that I "knew" these folks! Thanks to the ER board for a few more heartfelt smiles and retirement discussion topics in real life
Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Hey Nords,

LOVED the article! I'm trying to convince my DH to grow his hair out long again when he retires next year. When we met in 1970, he had long hair. For the past 30 some years, he's been the squared away type. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all!