Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope this forum remains anonymous. I am quite happy to accept advice from other anonymous members. I judge that advice based on it's own merits and maybe take into consideration a little what I know about the poster from other threads. Even if I knew the true identity of the advice giver, I would have to apply the same reason and caution before I acted on any of it.

Alternatively, if we start associating real names with posters, I would not want any of my writing here associated with my other identities on other forums (or in real life). The idea that anyone can easily keep tabs on everything I do and write is much more creepy than having anonymous friends.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The majority of people stay within bounds. Some advice may not be Sterling and others may sound off from time to time...

Politics and Religion are the topics that often get people going... not much difference here than face to face except face to face most would remain mute and not express their thoughts.

Regarding financial advice... Caveat Lector. and by all means Caveat Utilitor.

Even if the advice is good... one is likely to misinterpret it or execute poorly and scr3w it up. (if they do not follow-up with more study).

The most knowledgeable on the forum have spent years in study an practice either personally, professionally or both. But even that is no guarantee of success. Look at the investment banks, Mutual Funds, etc... that have failed recently failed... most of those companies hire the brightest from the best schools.

The point YMMV.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

My name is Inygo Montoya. You gave me bad stock tips, prepare to die.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #44

The names don't matter, but the insight and advice from those who have "been there, done that" does, such as those who have already had to deal with parents with Alzheimer's, drivers who shouldn't be driving, and the myriad of life's issues that most will have to face at some time or another.

Finances is just one of those issues. This is a good forum to come to for advice on anything from fixing your car to what computer cables to use to what constitutes a "great" nursing home vs. a "poor" one. And the members seem to be (mostly) civil and (mostly) intelligent or at least reasonably bright.

And it doesn't really matter if my name is Walt, Bill, Fred or Sharon.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Windsurf?

Pot or Kettle?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #46

Gee, I don't know about all this. I think some of your names are really cool, like Retired Gypsy, Cute Fuzzy Bunny, and HaHA. Creative and fun names.

Me, I'm just Sarah. I used to use my last name as my login, but then I became jealous of Rich in Tampa's cool name so I changed mine to be just like him.
I'm way more irritating in person--the H in my name stands for Hostile, so I'm told. My advice on fact-based questions is probably correct, because I'm a good researcher, but if it can't be quantified, I am probably not a good resource.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
... My advice on fact-based questions is probably correct, because I'm a good researcher, but if it can't be quantified, I am probably not a good resource.

Now i'm just the opposite - not much of a researcher, but am huge on rumour and right opinion. F'rinstance, i've heard that FinanceDude is the six fingered man.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I really do drink coffee, I really did start my retirement planning in a coffee shop, that is my real cat but her name is not "Fluffy." Everything else is fuzzed up.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I seem to remember a thread where Cuppa revealed the answer to Joe vs. Jo. In the interests of maintaining the board's anonymity I'll never tell (and maybe the hint was a red herring).
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

My name really is Rich, and I'm really in Tampa. When I first joined the board, another member chastised me for broadcasting that I was "rich" in every single message. Thought it was boastful.

As if.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #51

So, my real name is Rita, and I do have only one dimple, but would have liked to have two, just like my Aunt Ruth.

-- Rita
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Financedude......pretty original..........

As far as my posts go, well, that's why I have such a flowery disclaimer.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #53
Administrator

I really do Want To Retire!! If you lined up everyone in the forum in order of how much they want to retire, I think I'd be right at the head of the line.

On the other hand, I suppose "Want To" is kind of like a first name... but if my pseudonym was something like "Want To in New Orleans", I think people might jump to the wrong conclusions.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

At least you're not "doing the board".

By the way, is this a bad time to ask if its 'pseudo names' or if its supposed to be 'pseudonyms' ?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #55

I had turkey bacon again this weekend.

I feel dirty
Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Oh man, friends dont let friends eat turkey bacon...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Oh man, friends dont let friends eat turkey bacon...
Something else that should be your never try list is soy chorizo. Under the misguided desire to appease my cholesterol fanatic MD I made that horrible mistake. But only once. The leftover is in the trash.

Ha
Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Oh my dear god. Who in their right mind would make, sell or purchase such an atrocity, let alone eat it?!?

Of course, a product primarily made of lips and face parts might need a certain level of suspicion on its own.

I do have a nice recipe for a ground turkey chorizo that works pretty well Ha...let me know if you need it. I usually make it with a nice lean ground pork and frankly there isnt a huge fat difference between that and the commercial ground turkeys, but its good with some scrambled eggs, some tortillas and a little roasted salsa...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Did someone mention Bacon!

Blogadilla.com: The Tijuana of the Internet » Blog Archive » How to Make Bacon Soap, from Actual Bacon
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

I would certainly stop contributing to this board if my anonymity was not guaranteed. Hiding behind a pseudonym is what allows me to divulge so many personal information on this board. I wouldn't want to place myself in a position where any yahoo (including friends, family members, co-workers...) can google my name and find out about my net worth, income, detailed budget, tax liability, or about my dream to FIRE in my 40's...