Hiding behind pseudo names

windsurf

Recycles dryer sheets
I am starting to wonder if there if it is postive or negative to be looking for useful advice on a forum where all (most) of us hide our true identity. Several of the leading lights have posted their identities or information amounting to a trail of bread crumbs but usually in concert with some recognition that puts them in a positive light. I don't mind the outrageous claims so much as the trivial banter and in jokes though I think that the insults would decline if the bullies weren't shrouded. I understand that identity hiding is a plus when there is a lot of volunteering of financial particulars. Just the same, I have a hard time sorting the wheat from the chafe when it is is a contest between someone named something like ruff rabbit versus cap'n crunch.

Frank belongs to a forum in which real names and contact information is readily available. They are ham radio operators, and many have been in contact with one another for years. They go by their call signs, and using that their names, addresses, and so on can be looked up.

Participants on that forum are NASTY to each other!! I was shocked. They had to completely remove their political forum (like our Soapbox) a couple of weeks ago, because it was getting so bad, and I mean BAD. They are not nearly as nice and civil as we are.

Surprised me, too! I told him they needed better moderation. :2funny: He told me that their mods literally get phone calls in the middle of the night by incensed forum participants. :eek:

:duh:Then why even bring the "problem" up - if you are not ready to "go first"? Seems to me identifying a problem without identifying the solution (or in your case to accept the solution you provided) is sort of fruitless or maybe the word it useless.:duh:

OK, you go first...;)

I would, but I'm concerned about how others might react upon learning my true identity.

idog.jpg

I am Khan; mine is the superior intellect.

I am BSSC. I am really a secret government agency.

:duh:Then why even bring the "problem" up - if you are not ready to "go first"? Seems to me identifying a problem without identifying the solution (or in your case to accept the solution you provided) is sort of fruitless or maybe the word it useless.:duh:

Soooo - if I admitted I wasn't a now 17yr old blond teenage girl posting from a basement in Missoula, Montana and was never frugal with dryer sheets - YOU WOULD DARE discount my sage advice!

:bat: :bat: :bat:

Next thing you know - someone will try to revoke my Curmudgeon Certificate - downloaded from this very forum.

I leave this thread to calmer, saner folks.

Remember the words of S.I. Hayakawa:

"The word is not the thing."

heh heh heh - :eek:.

I think that as a member has more exposure to the posts of the regulars and the quality of the information and opinions they present their personas flesh themselves out independent of any real life identity. If someone has one leg and three eyes in real life but his posts on health, fitness and interpersonal relationships are spot on with insight and accuracy it isn’t helpful to know what he looks like, where he lives or the details of his portfolio. It seems that the continuity and content of the posts establish an identity of their own.
We recognize posts from members using an alias by their style and repeated themes. A jerk in here is a jerk out there too.
The cream rises to the top in this cyber world just as it does in flesh and blood. As far as I’m concerned if someone offers sterling financial advice and is capable of providing valid quantified analysis using real facts it doesn’t matter if his portfolio is millions or a fraction thereof.

I am starting to wonder if there if it is postive or negative to be looking for useful advice on a forum where all (most) of us hide our true identity. Several of the leading lights have posted their identities or information amounting to a trail of bread crumbs but usually in concert with some recognition that puts them in a positive light. I don't mind the outrageous claims so much as the trivial banter and in jokes though I think that the insults would decline if the bullies weren't shrouded. I understand that identity hiding is a plus when there is a lot of volunteering of financial particulars. Just the same, I have a hard time sorting the wheat from the chafe when it is is a contest between someone named something like ruff rabbit versus cap'n crunch.
How much are you paying for this (actually excellent overall) service? Still a bargain even if you have to sort out the chaff...

I have learned who to listen to, who's too predictable (on Soapbox) and who not to (and they're on ignore). And even those I listen to most, I investigate their advice on my own to corroborate. They're not responsible for my financial outcome, I am...

I know a lot about some topics, and precious little about others...

I really am the Best Wife Ever. Or am I? :) Personally I don't really care if I know others' true identities; as long as they make me chuckle once in a while, I'm happy.

I have revealed my identity on other boards but those were very small groups that restricted membership (yet for some reason I was allowed in--go figure). Of course everyone could have lied there, just as anyone who "reveals" their identity here could be lying too. And if someone revealed himself or herself to be Warren Buffett, would you believe it? And wouldn't you still triple check any pearls of wisdom that person provided?

My real name is D. B. Cooper. I had a great FIRE thing going back in the 70s but spent most of it on fast cars and fast women. The rest I just wasted!:D

I already get too many calls from annuity salesmen and CFAs. If my secret identity were revealed, my enemies would use my family and friends as hostages to gain access to my wealth and wisdom. ;)

I feel that since no one is paying for any advice given here, financial or personal, they should treat it just like what someone might tell them in a bar. Might be very helpful, might not be. In all areas of life it helps if we develop an ability to know what comes from experience and what is from a book and what is pure BS. I know I have learned many useful things from members, and I hope that I have contributed usefully to others also, if only for comic relief.

My particular personality is such that I clam up fast if people get demanding. Some people on here know my name and identity, and I am honored to consider them friends. Over time there will be others.

Meanwhile I only want to be haha.

Ha

I had my name legally changed to Cute Fuzzy Bunny so I can force my team to put it on my jersey.

Anyone that feels unduly insulted as a result of anonymity, send me a PM and I'll send you back my phone number. Then I can tell you in person. ;)

My real name is D. B. Cooper. I had a great FIRE thing going back in the 70s but spent most of it on fast cars and fast women. The rest I just wasted!:D

Come on back - we've been partying every Thangsgiving since you left - D.B. Cooper festival in Cougar, Washington.

Hey - if you are broke I'll spring for the Tee shirt and baseball hat with your name on it.

But the twenty grand they found in the sand on the banks of the Columbia is gone for good - Feds being the kill joys they are.

heh heh heh - ok ok so I couldn't resist - if this thread turns serious I will. :angel:.

BTW my memory ain't worth spit - party's in Ariel, they moved the day and the amount of money found was a lot less - dang Google.

Last edited:
what cantlogin so very well said.

um, dawg, that's just freaky.

in new jersey high school i had to learn the names of every plant that grew in town. our biology teacher took us into the field, pointed to a plant and we'd write down the name for our test. i got all the names 100% correct. a few months later i moved to st croix usvi and all the plants changed.

when i first planted the gardens around my house i knew the names of every plant. i catalogued them. i was planning to label everything for tours which friends (& even passer-by's) request. but ya know, an oak tree doesn't know it is an oak. a fox tail palm does know it is not a bismarkia. a dog doesn't know it is not a elephant. just names, just labels placed upon them by people.

now i am terrible with names, not even so good with faces. if i'm not sexually attracted, i won't know you 10 minutes after we've been introduced. but engage me in conversation, one on one, for a decent amount of time and i likely will forget your name but i will know you 20 years down the line.

I had my name legally changed to Cute Fuzzy Bunny so I can force my team to put it on my jersey.

So to reconcile this official name of Cute Fuzzy Bunny along with your new-ish signature line, would it be...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny Poopyhead, or
Cute Poopyhead, or
Fuzzy Poopyhead, or
Poopyhead Bunny, or

.. should we just call you Poopyhead?

Inquiring minds...

Back
Top Bottom