Hiding Wealth from Your Wife

If you like to keep the financial matters to yourself, then YOU ARE NOT READY TO MARRY. It's simple as that. The day you feel good to talk financial matters to her, you are ready.

If that lady is educated and financially in good shape, your "Hiding Wealth from Your Wife" idea would not work. SHE WILL LEAVE YOU before you ask her.

I'm a big fan of hiding money, drugs, and my lucrative career as a [redacted] from my wife. Oh wait. I don't have a wife. Do have this lady that has shared my life and finances for something like 37 years. Everything is owned jointly, which has worked out well. I do wish I'd stop waking up with her kneeling above me holding a pillow...

Edit: I am advised that my joke might be misinterpreted. I disagree, but also live here, so in the interest of harmony..

Last edited:
Prediction: The OP (new member, first post) will never be heard from again. Trolling for fun and attention.

I had to get to your post (#41) to confirm my own suspicions.

I felt I'd be uncharitable to questioning the seriousness/validity of this poor dope.

I seriously hope that this IS a put-on. If it isn't.......(can't even begin to go there)

If the OP was trolling he sure got us to bite, if not, we probably scared him off anyway.

I feel really blessed to have married a woman with many times my wealth at the time.... she had $3k.... no prenup ... got to love her.

Not me. DW was so poor I bought her several outfits the year before we were married so she would have nice clothes to wear. We spent my stash (5k) on our wedding and honeymoon. When we got back, I spent our last $100 on my beautiful bride for a pair of tiny diamond earrings.:LOL: BTW, she treasured those earrings for the rest of her life. :flowers:

My DW, doesn't care about "the number". I've tried to share a time or two and her response is "can we afford whatever?". Well, the honest answer is yes, whatever whatever is, so that's my response. I sure hope the kids are up to the task if I croak first. DW might try IG (Canada's Ameriprise).

If the OP was trolling he sure got us to bite, if not, we probably scared him off anyway.
The troll did us a service...how else could we all feel so superior :cool:

My DW, doesn't care about "the number". I've tried to share a time or two and her response is "can we afford whatever?". Well, the honest answer is yes, whatever whatever is, so that's my response. I sure hope the kids are up to the task if I croak first. DW might try IG (Canada's Ameriprise).
I think the OP was about not telling a prospective wife... so to hide the $. My DW only cared that we had enough to RE (if we were going to bail on work)... and not on an expensive life style. The number is not what really matters for our needs.

Some of the advice was for him to run, guess he took it.

See, guys do misinterpret things:LOL:

Not me. DW was so poor I bought her several outfits the year before we were married so she would have nice clothes to wear. We spent my stash (5k) on our wedding and honeymoon. When we got back, I spent our last $100 on my beautiful bride for a pair of tiny diamond earrings.:LOL: BTW, she treasured those earrings for the rest of her life. :flowers:

This is so sweet. You made my day, Hermit! Thanks.

Consensus is that OP is a very bad person because he wants his finances private

For most of human history it was up to the woman and her relatives and the community to form their own opinions about this. Jane Austin made a very good living looking at various implications and complications of this mating dance. Can you imagine Mr. Darcy turning over his financial statement to the young ladies angling for him?

Well, I think the OP is a bit slow if he doesn't realize that in America, once a marriage gets to the Kramer vs. Kramer stage, nothing will save the poor guy's wealth. I think we all approve of keeping a low profile to discourage lawsuits. But what lawsuits present the greatest chance of uninsurable loss to a man? Unless he is an unusual millionaire who goes around killing people in bar fights, divorce, alimony and child support are his big uninsurable risks. You say you are a neurosurgeon and you have huge malpractice risks? I feel your pain, but then you will charge more and buy huge malpractice coverages. Try to buy coverage for spousal support or child support grants.

You all know where this is going, so I'll just say QED!

Ha

Last edited:
Early in my work life, we had an old-school guy who's wife, from the time they started dating (early 40's??) until he died, had NO idea what he did (Engineer), where he worked or how much he made. She did not even know the name of the company or in what town it was.

When he finally passed, she was very interested in all these work people coming to his wake and was asking all kinds of questions.

She said he never spoke one single word about what was going on at work and never gave any indication as to what he did for work; and he had made it clear to never ask!

Very strange.

This, of course is different from another guy who was fired but kept leaving the house every morning in suit and tie for six months so that his wife wouldn't know. I supposed he hung out at the park all day. His wife finally had to call him at work one day and was given the news that he'd been let go six months earlier. Not a good day for him, I'd guess.

Hi, everyone. Thanks for the advice. The relationship ended up not working and I am single now. There were many reasons for the breakup, not just money or dishonesty.

I just find that disclosing wealth attracts the wrong sort of people into your life.

Hi, everyone. Thanks for the advice. The relationship ended up not working and I am single now. There were many reasons for the breakup, not just money or dishonesty.

I just find that disclosing wealth attracts the wrong sort of people into your life.

Wow, that's impressive. You were set to marry someone just a month ago and now you're split due to "many reasons". How long did you know this person? Did she want to marry you??
Why are you disclosing money information to strangers? That's just....:crazy:
It's one thing to talk money with someone you are going to marry but you don't tell people you've just met that you have a million or whatever.

Is any really surprised, didn't think so. Move on, nothing to see here.

Thanks for the closure to come back and tell a bit more of the story.

Even though the OP bailed on the marriage, I still think posts like this are useful to help lurkers thinking about the same thing now or in the future (I certainly get ideas and help from posts where I am not participating). I have been married 23 years and we have our many issues but I would never consider hiding assets from her. Even if you did, a well trained divorce lawyer will sniff it out (not too hard, there will be a trail such as tax returns) and the judge will really bury you on the settlement, deep. You would be lucky to get half at that point, likely a lot less.

Back
Top Bottom