Join Early Retirement Today

Higgs Boson Particle
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Higgs Boson Particle

Wow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/sc...pagewanted=all
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now I know I am in a parallel universe.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Now I know I am in a parallel universe.
Darn, beat me to it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

May the Higgs boson be with you, Obi-wan!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I thought the article would talk about parallel universes or time travel, but instead the particle is compared to a bunch of groupies fawning over Justin Bieber

From the article:

"Compare Higgs bosons to groupies mobbing a celebrity. The other particles are the celebrities, desperately trying to move but slowed by autograph-seekers. Higgs bosons don't have pens, but the attention they give to the other particles slows them, creating inertia."

Physicists break down concept of 'God particle'
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #6

It's fun and interesting to have an experimental confirmation (probably) for a theory that has been mainstream (but unconfirmed) for 50 years. But I don't see much practical benefit for the many billions of dollars spent and thousands of researchers who are in these articles described as spending decades of their lives looking for this thing. Was there nothing better that thousands of research scientists could have spend decades and billions of dollars looking at? We proved that it fits the theory we already had. So what? We've had 50 years to do something with that theory and don't have much to show for it, yet.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It actually is quite a find. Some compare finding the particle to the proof that gravity exists. I suppose patience is the key word. It's like if a craft is sent to mars and they find living bacteria but we were hoping for little green men .
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think it is pretty impressive that Higgs postulated the existence of this particle 43 years ago and has finally been proven correct. It is an amazing fact.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
It actually is quite a find. Some compare finding the particle to the proof that gravity exists. I suppose patience is the key word.
Sorry, but we know gravity exists. Perhaps you meant "why gravity exists"?

Quote:
It's like if a craft is sent to mars and they find living bacteria but we were hoping for little green men .
No, it is absolutely not like this at all.

As y'all know from the other thread, I am not all ga-ga over this discovery. However, I must write that some of the technology I use every day has come from the R&D paid for by these Bosonites. In that sense, I have directly benefitted from the billions spent.

And to make that beneficial to everyone reading this, I'll make a more specific statement: Some of the detector technology developed for this experiment will lead almost directly to better X-ray detectors in your hospitals and doctors' offices. One will be able to have a fraction of the X-ray dose that one gets now, but still have a much better result. And the fewer X-rays you get, the better off you are.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Sorry, but we know gravity exists. Perhaps you meant "why gravity exists"?

No, it is absolutely not like this at all.

As y'all know from the other thread, I am not all ga-ga over this discovery. However, I must write that some of the technology I use every day has come from the R&D paid for by these Bosonites. In that sense, I have directly benefitted from the billions spent.

And to make that beneficial to everyone reading this, I'll make a more specific statement: Some of the detector technology developed for this experiment will lead almost directly to better X-ray detectors in your hospitals and doctors' offices. One will be able to have a fraction of the X-ray dose that one gets now, but still have a much better result. And the fewer X-rays you get, the better off you are.
There once was a time people didn't know there is such a thing as gravity.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No, they knew there was gravity, they just didn't have a name for it or a mathematical equation for it. It was taken for granted.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

I think that this was easy to hypothesize, add the known weights of the known particles in the known number of the little spinney things. If the number that you add up is less than the weight of that atom, bingo, there must be an unknown mass. Unless gravity has weight.

I think I slept through this course.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I found this video helpful, though I had to play it a couple of times because the narration is so fast:

I think it's a very big deal, like discovering that there are electrons. If electrons led to electronics, will Bosons lead to Bosonics?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #14

I don't understand the fuss. It was certainly difficult to get an experimental confirmation of this theory. But nothing new was discovered here. Nothing new was added to the standard model of the universe. This massive and expensive effort did (probably) confirm the view held by 90+% of physicists. It's not a new theory. It's not a new discovery. It's an experimental confirmation. That's good, but the celebration seems excessive.

It would be interesting to understand why it was worth all the effort and expense, compared to other things that could have been researched or built with tens of thousands of top notch researchers and many billions of dollars of equipment.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #15

I wish I were smarter.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I wish I were smarter.
Me 2
Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #17

A Higgs boson walks into a church. The priest stops the particle and says, "We don't allow your kind in here." Undeterred the particle responds: "But without me, you can't have mass."
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

<Rimshot!>
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

A Higgs boson walks into a bar the barman asks "what's the matter?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I found this video helpful, though I had to play it a couple of times because the narration is so fast:

I think it's a very big deal, like discovering that there are electrons. If electrons led to electronics, will Bosons lead to Bosonics?
Man I needed that video thanks for the link.

This whole threads was bringing back nightmares of my last quarter of physics, quantum mechanics. My eyes were glazed over and I remember praying that I could some how manage to get a C. (What a comeuppance for the cocky young freshman who thought being a physics major at Berkeley would be easy..). My adviser told me that EE majors didn't need the last quarter of physics and I raced to drop the course.

Maybe if I had stuck with it I'd understand what all the excitement is about, but I doubt it.

I continue to be impressed by the forum members.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote