Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hillary won -- But can she win (the nomination)
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hillary won -- But can she win (the nomination)

She came back in the latest primaries. But can she win the nomination?

I have been reading that some dems are having Obama buyers remorse. They may be stuck with him now.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a Canadian i'm wondering what Obama has ever done to merit such a huge following?.He seems to go on and on about change and for now its just rhetoric but change is a double edged sword and doesnt always turn out to be for the better
Any Obama supporters want to fill me in on why the hype.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IF they both stay in and EITHER took EVERY remaining Delegate NEITHER could win a clean NUMERICAL Nomination. Remember FL and MI delegates have been disenfranchised by the DEMOCRAT PARTY. The news and number fight (and look for it to get real personal) will continue UNTIL the convention and then the REAL fight will begin.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As a Canadian i'm wondering what Obama has ever done to merit such a huge following?.He seems to go on and on about change and for now its just rhetoric but change is a double edged sword and doesnt always turn out to be for the better
He didn't get us into Iraq.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
He didn't get us into Iraq.

No one knows the answer to what he would have done on Iraq.

Many believe that if he were a senator at the time the vote was taken he would have voted for the war (most dems did).

IMO - The election is a bit less about what the candidate didn't do. And not about what they say they want to do. But about what they might actually be able to accomplish.

Obama is going to get roasted soon. He has gotten a pass over the last several months by the press and the Republican's.

Now that the RNC will have a candidate, they will turn their full attention to the dem front-runner.

The RNC dirt/smear machine will kick into high gear. Plus his comments and programs will be analyzed, picked apart and discredited.

Hillary had it right when she said she had already been vetted. It is not very likely that any new revelations will surface (just a rehash of old stuff). This is a different story for Obama. He is much more vulnerable.

His latest NAFTA misstep shows him as being disingenuous to one of the groups he openly courted and made promises to. That will come back to haunt him. There are too many dems and independents that will not give him the benefit of the doubt.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He is a blank canvas that people project what they want upon him.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First... I am a repub (mostly)...

I voted for Obama....

Because I want.... 'anybody but Clinton'

So if McCain does not win, at least SHE did not.... and I do not think she would be that bad... but I could NOT stand to see her husband in the White House again...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oprah
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Oprah
I sure hope people are not voting for him because of Oprah. To me, it kind of reminds me of the Jimmy Carter effect. He came out of nowhere and was just an alternative to the 'establishment'.

Looks like Clinton and Obama will both be on the ticket. Just a matter of which is the lead dog.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot of people who, even if they didn't drink the Obama Kool-Aid, simply can't stand the Clintons. And more than a few of them are Democrats.

If Clinton steals this election from Obama with superdelegates or a new vote in Florida, it would be interesting to see how the Clintonites who screamed about 2000's "stolen election" will act here. Will they be consistent (and disgusted) or will they create some spin to explain why "it's different" this time?

And yes, I do expect Clinton to win this one way or another, even with fewer ordinary delegates than Obama -- despite her past calls to abandon the Electoral College because it violates one person/one vote fairness.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
No one knows the answer to what he would have done on Iraq.
No, but everyone knows what Clinton and McCain did do on Iraq.

Throw the bums out, let some new bums have a shot.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There are a lot of people who, even if they didn't drink the Obama Kool-Aid, simply can't stand the Clintons. And more than a few of them are Democrats.
Not to mention that there are a fair number of Republicans who are not deeply enchanted by John McCain or the Republican Party in general lately, and may consider crossing over - - but also can't stand the Clintons.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Not to mention that there are a fair number of Republicans who are not deeply enchanted by John McCain or the Republican Party in general lately, and may consider crossing over - - but also can't stand the Clintons.
That, too. I've seen a fair number of "Republicans for Obama" largely for that reason. But what do they do in a Clinton/McCain matchup? They either hold their nose and vote for McCain, they vote third party, or they stay home. No way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks do they vote for Clinton.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That, too. I've seen a fair number of "Republicans for Obama" largely for that reason. But what do they do in a Clinton/McCain matchup? They either hold their nose and vote for McCain, they vote third party, or they stay home. No way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks do they vote for Clinton.
As someone who might fit into this category, I guess I'll make up my mind at the last minute under those circumstances. Probably would decide along the lines you are suggesting in a Clinton/McCain matchup, but I really won't know until election day.

Seems like a very long time since the American people felt they had a choice between two great candidates for President.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woo wOo Hillary has some spunk!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Woo wOo Hillary has some spunk!
No, that's Ms. Lewinsky...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody but Clinton.

Obama did well because he could pull in independents and Republicans with a unity message.

Clinton is divisive and duplicitous.

She is not acceptable to me on any ticket, Pres or VP

If McCain picks anyone but Huckabee for his VP, he's won the November election.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Al Gore is starting to look like superhero.

Too bad the Clintons subverted his candidacy in 2004 so that she could get a clear run at 2008.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If Clinton steals this election from Obama with superdelegates or a new vote in Florida...
A new vote in Florida would presumably be a fair contest, the people of Florida deserve to have their votes count, so I don't see how this would be stealing. Anyway, even if she won it with a 2-1 margin, she would only net 60 delegates there, so that's not enough for her to catch up in the delegate count after her weak showing last night.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
To me, it kind of reminds me of the Jimmy Carter Ronald Reagon Bill Clinton George Bush effect. He came out of nowhere and was just an alternative to the 'establishment'.
Pretty long recent history of "little Washington experience" presidents ...

t.r.