Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Ken Follett's Middle ages books Pillars of the Earth and the later World Without End and his two 20th century books Fall of Giants and Winter of the World
Lonesome Dove is a great slice of life in the Old West
My wife read Follett's books not too long ago and loved them. She spent many a late night in bed reading those. Good thing I go to sleep easily.

Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A big +1 on these. And add The Caine Mutiny, another suberb WW2 novel by Wouk.

To look at one from The Great War, and one that is quite a bit less gung-ho, try Erik Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front.

In a sense, most serious novels are historical novels. One of my favorite among American authors is J.P. Marquand, as in The Late George Aply.

Perhaps the greatest of all historical novels is War and Peace.

Agree with War and Peace Ha. Read that years ago and this should be on my read again list for sure. Went to my awesome local library today and picked up The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan and Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
The first is a history of the dust bowl. The second a biography of, IMHO, one of the most fascinating people ever to draw a breath at the same time in history I did too.

I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
On a recent visit to the local Salvation Army Thrift store I happened upon a copy of "The Covenant" by James Michener for $1. I thought I had read all of his books, but I haven't read "The Covenant", which is about the settlement of South Africa.

IMHO you can learn more history from James Michener's novels than from most history textbooks.

I think James Michener may have been talking about himself when (in one of his novels "Chesapeake" ) he said the English explorer John Smith wrote history as it should have been, not as it was.

JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote