Join Early Retirement Today

Hit by golf ball
Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hit by golf ball

Just sharing and thanking whoever up there who is looking out for me. One of the players in my flight sliced the ball which ricocheted to the right where DH, 2 caddies and I were standing ( together with many trees). When I heard the warning shout, I put my hands over my head, kept my head down and eyes closed and about to take a crouching position. Before I could crouch, the ball fell on my left shoulder blade. I was ok then but this morning i found a slight golf ball bruise on my shoulder. Good thing the ball was not flying at a high speed. This is the closest I ever got hit. I always wondered what's the best position when one hears a warning shout. Run for it? But which direction esp when courses are narrow and the ball may be from an adjoining course. I certainly don't want to be looking around and risk getting hit in the eye!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best place to be standing is the middle of the fairway, normal upright position and 99 out of 100 golfers couldn't come within 10 yards of hitting you. On par 3s, safest place is on the green.

Seriously, my usual position when I hear Fore, is to crouch and put my hands over my head.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 I suspect that safest position would be the middle of a fairway or next to the pin if one is near the green.

It sounds more like a shank than a slice to me. Unfortunately I shanked on into the middle of an adjoining fairway the other day. So much for the middle of the fairway theory.

In that case the adjoining fairway was over a knoll so I had no idea if anyone was there. Luckily, no one was on that hole. After I hit it the last I saw of it was it sailing way over the heads of my playing partners

Luckily, I rarely shank them like that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

Duck! Yes, drop down and cover your head the best you can and pray. This reminds me about my father telling me of a friend of his that got killed on a golf course. This guy was standing just off the tee box while someone was teeing off. The ball was hit right off the toe of the club and struck this guy in the temple. He died right there. To this day I never stand in front of the tee markers and always warn other guys when someone is teeing off.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Duck! Yes, drop down and cover your head the best you can and pray. This reminds me about my father telling me of a friend of his that got killed on a golf course. This guy was standing just off the tee box while someone was teeing off. The ball was hit right off the toe of the club and struck this guy in the temple. He died right there. To this day I never stand in front of the tee markers and always warn other guys when someone is teeing off.
All modern golf courses situate the cart path to the tees so that you are behind a right hand golfer if you are sitting on the path in your cart. If they toe it, it goes into the woods or somewhere typically without people.

If you play with a lefty, keep this in mind. Back up. It is a dangerous place, and toe hits are not that unusual.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Always stand behind the person hitting. When someone yells 'fore' drop, and cover right there. As a kid I took off running and ran straight into the guys hook. Took it in the side of the neck, ouch.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Always stand behind the person hitting. When someone yells 'fore' drop, and cover right there. As a kid I took off running and ran straight into the guys hook. Took it in the side of the neck, ouch.
Assume all people are idiots on the course. They will yell fore when the ball is 20 yds away from you. Duck and turn in direction away from voice and hope for the best.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #8

I think the worst position is to look towards where the voice is coming from. I have heard of 2 incidents of golf ball hitting the eye and causing blindness. Scary stuff.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Regardless of who you are or who you play with always stand slightly behind the person hitting the ball. Even pros shank one now and then, just ask Steve Stricker.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Not to mention the morons playing behind you who don't even yell "fore" and then explain, when they catch up to you (as you are waiting on the slow foursome ahead of you), that they never had hit a ball that far so they didn't think it would reach you.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Not to mention the morons playing behind you who don't even yell "fore" and then explain, when they catch up to you (as you are waiting on the slow foursome ahead of you), that they never had hit a ball that far so they didn't think it would reach you.
Unfortunately, that happens too often. Once I had a moron from the flight behind whose ball landed a few feet from me explaining that he never meant to hit the ball to the right since the flag was on the left.

As regards standing behind a player who is about to hit a ball, well, if the player is trying to hit the ball out of some trees, best stand far far away. No telling where the ball will fly if it hits the trees.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
All modern golf courses situate the cart path to the tees so that you are behind a right hand golfer if you are sitting on the path in your cart. If they toe it, it goes into the woods or somewhere typically without people.

If you play with a lefty, keep this in mind. Back up. It is a dangerous place, and toe hits are not that unusual.
+1, because I am a left-handed golfer... and am constantly warning folks to get well behind me when I tee off. On the green if they are to my left I always make sure they know I am about to hit.

I always stand well behind whoever is teeing off, to watch the flight of the ball and help them know where it went.

When I hear a warning shout I just drop flat to the ground and cover my head. I have been hit will a ball like that, but fortunately it was after a bounce and against my thigh, so no harm done.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Duck! Yes, drop down and cover your head the best you can and pray.
And turn your back to the direction the ball is coming from if you can tell from the "FORE!" and/or where adjacent holes are...helpful for men & women alike.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes, we had a group behind us that had hit into our group 4 times by the 6th hole. We made a couple of polite attempts to ask them to slow it down(couldn't find a Marshall). After the 4th time a guy with a short fuse blew, took a 3 wood and hit their ball straight back into them. Didn't have any problems after that. I wouldn't recommend it, but the other options he had in mind were much worse!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Covering your head and ducking away is the right call. If you have time to hit the deck that's probably good too. When I was in college once I made the mistake of standing by my ball, maybe 30 yards or so right and 5-10 yards in front of a friend who was on the fairway. He shanked it and it came at me like a rocket, and I was leaning on my club and didn't have time to react. It hit the bow of my sunglasses, which absorbed nearly all the force, and luckily didn't break into my face. I was incredibly lucky and am now much more careful out there.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, we had a group behind us that had hit into our group 4 times by the 6th hole. We made a couple of polite attempts to ask them to slow it down(couldn't find a Marshall). After the 4th time a guy with a short fuse blew, took a 3 wood and hit their ball straight back into them. Didn't have any problems after that. I wouldn't recommend it, but the other options he had in mind were much worse!
I can understand. Once is a mistake but 4 times in 6 holes is stupidity on their part and warrants a response.

One alternative is to drop a tee near where their ball is and then launch their ball into the woods making sure that they see you do it. Sends a not so subtle message.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Assume all people are idiots...
FIFY

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Just played this morning with some good friends who don't seem to understand that they are liable to be hit if they go ahead of a member of the group. Not by me, but by someone with a better game!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:

So, what's the best way to treat the flight behind who hits their balls into your flight more than twice? We usually tell our caddy (our golf club insists we use caddies) to inform the caddy behind to play slower as traffic is heavy. If that does not work, we complain to the Marshall if and when one comes along. Last resort, we speak to the players direct and make a formal complaint to the club manager. I have a friend who will just hit back their ball at them together with loud words and that always works immediately! Maybe drastic actions are required for such bad behavior which can be quite harmful to others.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #20

Methinks I will stick to bowling.

Though the balls are larger and heavier, I have not heard of anyone being killed by a flying bowling ball - yet.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote