Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hoax or multiple agendas?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,676
Hoax or multiple agendas?

Here is the breaking story: Notre Dame hoax

Do we blame:
1) The football bozo?
2) Notre Dame?
3) Gullible fans?
4) Reporters?
5) ... other?

Amusing to me. I generally just look at this stuff and wonder about people.
__________________

__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
My opinion is that it happened and that he knew nothing about it. Things like this happen all the time to people who are less famous. It's sad, heartbreaking! It isn't funny but I guess those who do it think that it is.

Just in case, I think that the perpetrator of the hoax should be located, in order to find out if it was just done for "kicks" as I suspect or with other motives.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,529
Too many blows to the head. How can one have a girlfriend that one has never met ?
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
I think the guy, Manti, is crazy. Who kows, but I saw a video where he talks about how beautiful the phantom girlfriend was, blah blah.

Can't be sure, but looks to me like 85% he is nuts.

Also, got to ask about Notre Dame keeping this under wraps for a month.

Hello?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
I think the South Bend winters got to him. Hard to believe a varsity football player wouldn't have one or several real life girlfriends vs. someone he met online.

And definitely sloppy journalism that no one looked into the girlfriend--the reporter's credo used to be "If your mother says she loves you, check it out."
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Too many blows to the head. How can one have a girlfriend that one has never met ?
Ummm, would Heather Locklear count??
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Why is this a breaking story ? Who cares? Aren't there more important things going on in this world ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal
Here is the breaking story: Notre Dame hoax
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
How can one have a girlfriend that one has never met ?

Try watching the movie or the resulting spin-off MTV show called Catfish about people meeting online and having multi- month to multi-year romances with someone they've never met.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Try watching the movie or the resulting spin-off MTV show called Catfish about people meeting online and having multi- month to multi-year romances with someone they've never met.

omni
Aren't these either extremely odd looking people, or those with real fear of close contact? Ever met an athlete, even in high school who was deterred by either of these concerns?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
This one didn't cross my thoughts when I first heard the news. Rumors are this might be a cover story to hide his sexuality:

Manti Te'o Gay? Girlfriend Hoax Leads To Speculation On Sexuality Of Notre Dame Star

They're now reporting he cancelled his ESPN interview and hired a big time PR firm.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Aren't these either extremely odd looking people, or those with real fear of close contact? Ever met an athlete, even in high school who was deterred by either of these concerns?

Ha
Funny you should mention athletes.

The last Catfish show I saw featured a very handsome young athlete (much better-looking than his 2 closest friends who were shown as part of the video footage). He fell for a beautiful gal who lived clear across the state and developed an online relationship with her ....only to discover (with the assistance of the Catfish team) that "she" was not who he thought she was.

So, I'd say the "catfish" is often someone a bit more unique...but the ones I have seen on the show that have been reeled taken in by a catfish are often normal-looking and seem to not have social anxiety or fear of closeness.

They have all been fairly young and very much into social media/texting, etc. which is typically how they "met" in the first place. Perhaps a bit naive, falling for the personal attention and relationship, and being romantic at heart is probably what the "targets" suffer from.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Why is this a breaking story ? Who cares? Aren't there more important things going on in this world ?
There are very definitely more important things in this world to care about.

To me it is an interesting story because it reflects on several fronts the weird present day world. The sloppy reporting of facts, the alternate histories that are served up, the ignorance of "college educated" individuals, the worship of sports myths, and on and on .... These are layers of hypocrisy that are interesting to unravel.

I could get poetic about this.

P.S. I admit I'm not perfect either. Just in case someone accuses me of thinking this of myself.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Funny you should mention athletes.

The last Catfish show I saw featured a very handsome young athlete (much better-looking than his 2 closest friends who were shown as part of the video footage). He fell for a beautiful gal who lived clear across the state and developed an online relationship with her ....only to discover (with the assistance of the Catfish team) that "she" was not who he thought she was.

So, I'd say the "catfish" is often someone a bit more unique...but the ones I have seen on the show that have been reeled taken in by a catfish are often normal-looking and seem to not have social anxiety or fear of closeness.

They have all been fairly young and very much into social media/texting, etc. which is typically how they "met" in the first place. Perhaps a bit naive, falling for the personal attention and relationship, and being romantic at heart is probably what the "targets" suffer from.

omni
Thanks. Who is the catfish, the one who does the hoax, or the person who is supposedly taken in by it?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks. Who is the catfish, the one who does the hoax, or the person who is supposedly taken in by it?

Ha
The one who perpetrates the hoax is the catfish Urban Dictionary: catfish

BTW, I just spotted this article on the 'Catfish' guys getting involved with the Irish athlete hoax 'Catfish' Creators Believe Manti Te'o Hoax Goes Deeper - ABC News

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
The one who perpetrates the hoax is the catfish Urban Dictionary: catfish

BTW, I just spotted this article on the 'Catfish' guys getting involved with the Irish athlete hoax 'Catfish' Creators Believe Manti Te'o Hoax Goes Deeper - ABC News

omni
Very interesting, and completely incomprehensible to me. What good is a boyfriend or girlfriend somewhere other than where you are? I can understand people who fall in love in college or in one city, then one leaves for life opportunities elsewhere. Nevertheless, the half life of these distance romances tends to be short, especially among young people. It is just too easy to forget your love for the one who is not there, when so many other candidates are there.

I cannot imagine a young man falling in love with a phantom. It is hard enough for a woman to get a guy to fall in love with her even when she is regularly in his bed.

And since when is leukemia a winning factor? Talk about pain! ALi MaGraw maybe, but that was a movie.

The athlete, and Notre Dame have a big stake in spinning this as the poor guy is dumb, not an evil liar. Not sure, but I would imagine that a dumb football player will look better in the draft than a liar or a nut job. But there will also be those who want to out him, if they can. So it should get very interesting. It isn't going away real quickly!

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
If I was to bet, my guess is that initially he was duped. As the saying goes "love is blind." I don't know exactly when he discovered that he been had but I wouldn't be surprised if he started to lie out of embarassment. Then before long..well..the story of Pinocchio.

One might think, "No way!" But the situation might be like the senior citizens who fall for the fast talking phone con artists. Or even the "smart" folks that fell for Bernie Madoff (those fake investment statements surely looked real to those blinded investors at the time seeing only what they want to see).
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,676
Ha, I completely agree with you. When I was a young guy I wouldn't have been texting a hot chick. I'd have wanted some hands on time. And if I'd been a star athlete in college -- oh boy, there would have been lots of opportunity to find girls that were not virtual ones.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
If I was to bet, my guess is that initially he was duped. As the saying goes "love is blind." I don't know exactly when he discovered that he been had but I wouldn't be surprised if he started to lie out of embarassment. Then before long..well..the story of Pinocchio.

One might think, "No way!" But the situation might be like the senior citizens who fall for the fast talking phone con artists. Or even the "smart" folks that fell for Bernie Madoff (those fake investment statements surely looked real to those blinded investors at the time seeing only what they want to see).
That is the only plausible scenario I could come up with that would make any type of sense or reason for carrying it out the way it did.
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,639
Manti does seem to be a bit nuts but his father must be nuts too. I understand he reports meeting the girl! Or are we to believe the hoaxer is a girl from Hawaii (or confederate) who actually stopped by to see dear old dad?
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Why is this a breaking story ? Who cares? Aren't there more important things going on in this world ?
Blasphemy!!

Give it its fifteen seconds minutes of fame, then get back to the really important news, like Kim Kardashian or Lindsey Lohan...
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.