Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Possible...but they can take a flying **** at a rolling donut if they think I'll fall for that old trick.

If they do, you might try an approach like this

"You know, after thinking about it I decided that its a little more than I wanted to pay, and I was a little annoyed that someone tried to sell me something that had already been sold. This is wasting my time."

Then offer them 10% less to continue the buying process. If he tries to negotiate that up, offer him 15% less and ask him how much more of your time he wants to take up...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ooh! Too bad that the Isata deal fell through. Those are nice rigs. But as you say, something else will come along.

No regrets here.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

25 years ago my husband and I purchased a used 25 ft Southwind for $6,000. We had it for about 4 years, then got divorced and sold it for $4,000. Never had any repairs on it. We used it primarily for long weekends and a couple of short trips. Never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did. We did a lot of boondocking in very out of the way picturesqe places.

Waking up in the morning and sitting up and looking out all that nature had to provide was a wonderful, wonderful feeling. We also bought two 150 cc dirt bikes and had one straped to the front of the RV and the other to the back. We would go to some small no name towns out in nowhere land and get on our bikes and explore. We had the best time. Talkiing and meeting all the locals. Found an old abandoned house once and went in. It was a time warp. My husband and I sat on the floor reading letters that were scattered about from the civil war days. It was an amazing experience.

So, fast foward 25 years, and I am single and about to retire soon. I would so much like to purchase one again, but every reasonable thought in my head keeps telling me it's not smart financial decision. If money were no problem, and I felt more secure in that department, I probably would not hesitate, as I really do feel it is a great experience, and for those of you who haven't tried it yet, you really can't relate to those who have.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I, too, was apprehensive about buying an expensive RV, so I started with a 1990 class C Lazy Daze--a model that wears well and offered a taste of RV life without taking much of a financial hit. I drove it enough to feel confident spending more and upgrading to a newer Lazy Daze.

I'd let the older unit go for the low 'teens, located here in Arizona.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Flog, that's a great idea and I'd love to do something similar.

DW, on the other hand, would not be amused. If I expect her to go along with my dreams of hitting the road and finding out what's over the next hill, I'm going to have to go with something relatively new.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Wow...

Just got this email.... kind of makes me not want to buy...even though I was a few years from doing so....

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers

ABC News: Embalmed in Your Own RV
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

WELL!!!!!!!

Yep - sticker shock! Such a shock

But

Instead of the "dream house" we went for the "dream RV". This was our new life, and we wanted to RV in comfort and safety, and so we focused more on how much we were willing to spend and getting the best motorhome we could get that met our needs for that amount.

The fact that it cost almost 1.5x the selling price of our house - well, that was freaky! It's the most expensive thing we ever bought in our lives.

The fact that we were going fulltime, of course, helped justify spending more $$$ on the RV since we are using it 365 days a year!

But seriously - it all comes down to what are your top priorities for the rest of your life AND "What are you saving if for?".

RVs are way way more expensive than it seems they should be. But that's just the way it is. There is no point in trying to economically justify an RV purchase. That's not the point.

But what a lifestyle!

Audrey

P.S. Buyer's remorse? NOT!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

RVs DO seem to be more expensive than they should be, ours also cost more than we paid for our house that we sold to get it....but after all, we don't expect our stick built houses to drive down the road at 60 miles per hour, hitting bumps, going around curves, and in effect experiencing an earthquake more or less continually.

What amazes me about RVs is that all that shaking, bouncing, and bumping around happens and they keep on keeping on. What fixed base house could do that?

If a fixed base house could have a swimming pool outside one day, beautiful mountains another, and waves lapping out the window the next....I'd consider one, but until then, I'll happily live in my motorhome......home is where we park it.

LooseChickens
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Wow...

Just got this email.... kind of makes me not want to buy...even though I was a few years from doing so....

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers

ABC News: Embalmed in Your Own RV
I've heard similar tales. But to me it's just another reason to buy slightly used (so the fumes vent over the first couple of years--"Mmmm, that new RV smell") and watch for the use of that compressed particle board. Look for better quality materials, e.g. plywood instead.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Particle board is good for speaker cabinets, and not much else...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #31

boy that gets me. Read the article. Government knows about toxic level in Fema trailers causing repitory problems, but auctions them off to the public without disclosing problem. Only our government can get away with that.

I get more disgusted with 'Big Brother" every day. We are always left accountable for our msitakes, but it seems the government doesn't have to play by the same rules.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #32

Well, after all our discussions about the cost savings of buying "gently used" and not being in a hurry, etc., my wife tells me on the phone 2 nights ago that she put $1,000 down on a new Great West Van Legend (same unit that Rich has).

I was somewhat shocked, but I can't say it came totally out of the blue. We had been having serious discussions and had settled on this chassis and engine (there are 3 or 4 companies that use that chassis and engine). But I thought we were going to be buying used. In here defence, she 'only' put $1,000 on it and has expressed a willingness to burn the $1,000 if I think it's a 'bad idea.'

She toured every lot in Calgary and Edmonton, and basically there were only a couple of 2007's left of the sprinter chassis with the Mercedes diesel, and she had her heart set on one. The used ones are hardly any less--the darned things don't seem to depreciate much. And the 2008s will be bigger, more expensive, and less mileage due to new EPA regs (which also drive the smaller market in Canada). So she is concerned that once the public realizes this, that even the used ones will increase in value.

I explained to her how much gas we could buy with the extra money this unit costs in order to get the better fuel economy....

I've thought about this, and the bottom line is that it makes my wife happy, when she's happy I'm happy, and we were going to buy one or something like it anyway.

all that being said, it is a beautiful rig, it is what we want, and we can afford it. But frugal--NOT!

conflicted in Alaska--27 days until ER and ready to return home to Canada
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I hope you enjoy it Bosco. But maybe next time you are considering a large purchase, better put a gps on your wife and a block on your bank account.

Ha
Old 06-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Well, after all our discussions about the cost savings of buying "gently used" and not being in a hurry, etc., my wife tells me on the phone 2 nights ago that she put $1,000 down on a new Great West Van Legend (same unit that Rich has).
Well, for what it's worth we still love ours. Only trivial problems, mileage of 20-22 mpg is holding true. PM me if you have any questions. I did buy a hitch-mounted cargo carrier which makes storage quite adequate.

Happy trails.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Well, for what it's worth we still love ours. Only trivial problems, mileage of 20-22 mpg is holding true. PM me if you have any questions. I did buy a hitch-mounted cargo carrier which makes storage quite adequate.

Happy trails.
thanks, I did send you a PM. I have some questions about options
Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I hope you enjoy it Bosco. But maybe next time you are considering a large purchase, better put a gps on your wife and a block on your bank account.

Ha
LOL!! I wonder if 'spouse-mounted' gps is an option?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post

... it is a beautiful rig, it is what we want, and we can afford it. But frugal--NOT!
Bosco, those are really nice rigs. Just don't do any per square foot price comparisons to a Class A!

I've been waffling for months on whether to get a Class A or something smaller, safer and easier to drive & maneuver. My decision to go small and buy a Class B with a truck cab was reinforced today when we drove past an accident on IH-10. An (A?) SUV towing a travel trailer had rolled and was in the grass median. The SUV had lots of bumps and bruises, but was intact. The still attached travel trailer looked like a pile of construction debris - totally destroyed.

No doubt I'd rather be in a vehicle with airbags and the structural integrity to offer some protection in a rollover.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bosco, those are really nice rigs. Just don't do any per square foot price comparisons to a Class A!
No doubt I'd rather be in a vehicle with airbags and the structural integrity to offer some protection in a rollover.
Yup, big factor in our choice, too. That Sprinter should cover it well - they even have electronic stability control which, at least according to Consumer Reports will probably save more lives than seat belts.

And what about slide-outs? Reportedly weaken the chassis considerable in a rollover or side collision. Just something paranoid to think about.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
And what about slide-outs? Reportedly weaken the chassis considerable in a rollover or side collision. Just something paranoid to think about.
True, anytime you cut a big hole in the side of a structure, it tends to weaken it. My hope is the cab portion of the vehicle will offer some protection.

Anywhoo, think we're going with a slide-out. Hey, if we really wanted to be safe, we'd just stay home!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, if we really wanted to be safe, we'd just stay home!
And let the chiggers, scorpions, fireants, rattlesnakes and heatstroke get you?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote