Hold my wallet, I'm buying an RV

Wow...

Just got this email.... kind of makes me not want to buy...even though I was a few years from doing so....

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers

ABC News: Embalmed in Your Own RV

WELL!!!!!!!

Yep - sticker shock! Such a shock :eek::eek:

But

Instead of the "dream house" we went for the "dream RV". This was our new life, and we wanted to RV in comfort and safety, and so we focused more on how much we were willing to spend and getting the best motorhome we could get that met our needs for that amount.

The fact that it cost almost 1.5x the selling price of our house - well, that was freaky! :eek: It's the most expensive thing we ever bought in our lives.

The fact that we were going fulltime, of course, helped justify spending more $$$ on the RV since we are using it 365 days a year!

But seriously - it all comes down to what are your top priorities for the rest of your life AND "What are you saving if for?".

RVs are way way more expensive than it seems they should be. But that's just the way it is. There is no point in trying to economically justify an RV purchase. That's not the point.

But what a lifestyle!:D

Audrey

P.S. Buyer's remorse? NOT!

RVs DO seem to be more expensive than they should be, ours also cost more than we paid for our house that we sold to get it....but after all, we don't expect our stick built houses to drive down the road at 60 miles per hour, hitting bumps, going around curves, and in effect experiencing an earthquake more or less continually.

What amazes me about RVs is that all that shaking, bouncing, and bumping around happens and they keep on keeping on. What fixed base house could do that?

If a fixed base house could have a swimming pool outside one day, beautiful mountains another, and waves lapping out the window the next....I'd consider one, but until then, I'll happily live in my motorhome......home is where we park it.

LooseChickens

Wow...

Just got this email.... kind of makes me not want to buy...even though I was a few years from doing so....

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers

ABC News: Embalmed in Your Own RV

I've heard similar tales. But to me it's just another reason to buy slightly used (so the fumes vent over the first couple of years--"Mmmm, that new RV smell:D") and watch for the use of that compressed particle board. Look for better quality materials, e.g. plywood instead.

boy that gets me. Read the article. Government knows about toxic level in Fema trailers causing repitory problems, but auctions them off to the public without disclosing problem. Only our government can get away with that.

I get more disgusted with 'Big Brother" every day. We are always left accountable for our msitakes, but it seems the government doesn't have to play by the same rules.

Well, after all our discussions about the cost savings of buying "gently used" and not being in a hurry, etc., my wife tells me on the phone 2 nights ago that she put $1,000 down on a new Great West Van Legend (same unit that Rich has).

I was somewhat shocked, but I can't say it came totally out of the blue. We had been having serious discussions and had settled on this chassis and engine (there are 3 or 4 companies that use that chassis and engine). But I thought we were going to be buying used. In here defence, she 'only' put $1,000 on it and has expressed a willingness to burn the $1,000 if I think it's a 'bad idea.'

She toured every lot in Calgary and Edmonton, and basically there were only a couple of 2007's left of the sprinter chassis with the Mercedes diesel, and she had her heart set on one. The used ones are hardly any less--the darned things don't seem to depreciate much. And the 2008s will be bigger, more expensive, and less mileage due to new EPA regs (which also drive the smaller market in Canada). So she is concerned that once the public realizes this, that even the used ones will increase in value.

I explained to her how much gas we could buy with the extra money this unit costs in order to get the better fuel economy....

I've thought about this, and the bottom line is that it makes my wife happy, when she's happy I'm happy, and we were going to buy one or something like it anyway.

all that being said, it is a beautiful rig, it is what we want, and we can afford it. But frugal--NOT!

conflicted in Alaska--27 days until ER and ready to return home to Canada

I hope you enjoy it Bosco. But maybe next time you are considering a large purchase, better put a gps on your wife and a block on your bank account. :)

Ha

Well, after all our discussions about the cost savings of buying "gently used" and not being in a hurry, etc., my wife tells me on the phone 2 nights ago that she put $1,000 down on a new Great West Van Legend (same unit that Rich has).

Well, for what it's worth we still love ours. Only trivial problems, mileage of 20-22 mpg is holding true. PM me if you have any questions. I did buy a hitch-mounted cargo carrier which makes storage quite adequate.

Happy trails.

Well, for what it's worth we still love ours. Only trivial problems, mileage of 20-22 mpg is holding true. PM me if you have any questions. I did buy a hitch-mounted cargo carrier which makes storage quite adequate.

Happy trails.

thanks, I did send you a PM. I have some questions about options

I hope you enjoy it Bosco. But maybe next time you are considering a large purchase, better put a gps on your wife and a block on your bank account. :)

Ha

LOL!! I wonder if 'spouse-mounted' gps is an option?

... it is a beautiful rig, it is what we want, and we can afford it. But frugal--NOT!

Bosco, those are really nice rigs. Just don't do any per square foot price comparisons to a Class A! :eek:

I've been waffling for months on whether to get a Class A or something smaller, safer and easier to drive & maneuver. My decision to go small and buy a Class B with a truck cab was reinforced today when we drove past an accident on IH-10. An (A?) SUV towing a travel trailer had rolled and was in the grass median. The SUV had lots of bumps and bruises, but was intact. The still attached travel trailer looked like a pile of construction debris - totally destroyed.

No doubt I'd rather be in a vehicle with airbags and the structural integrity to offer some protection in a rollover.

Bosco, those are really nice rigs. Just don't do any per square foot price comparisons to a Class A!
No doubt I'd rather be in a vehicle with airbags and the structural integrity to offer some protection in a rollover.

Yup, big factor in our choice, too. That Sprinter should cover it well - they even have electronic stability control which, at least according to Consumer Reports will probably save more lives than seat belts.

And what about slide-outs? Reportedly weaken the chassis considerable in a rollover or side collision. Just something paranoid to think about.

And what about slide-outs? Reportedly weaken the chassis considerable in a rollover or side collision. Just something paranoid to think about.

True, anytime you cut a big hole in the side of a structure, it tends to weaken it. My hope is the cab portion of the vehicle will offer some protection.

Anywhoo, think we're going with a slide-out. Hey, if we really wanted to be safe, we'd just stay home!

And let the chiggers, scorpions, fireants, rattlesnakes and heatstroke get you?

img_524442_0_522c1744162afdea072de0fa8cf4885b.gif

Thats good news that you'll be hitting the road soon.

I'll be gathering up a few hundred californians and we'll shack up at your place while you're gone.

Buy a little extra beer before you go, willya?

And I thought those were the ladies and mens room, respectively.

But then I noticed the latrine a little further behind them.

We'll bring some extra rattlesnakes, although we're a little short on chiggers and scorpions.

We do have two different contract mail delivery people...maybe one wants to move...?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom