Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hold my wallet, I'm buying an RV
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hold my wallet, I'm buying an RV

Help! I've got motorhome fever and the struggle between my frugal "I-saved-for-years-to-retire" side and my "what-the-heck-are-you-saving-it-for" side are killing me!

Martha, Rich, and anyone else who owns a motorhome of any type, how did you allow yourself to spend the money for something that in my case is the second largest expenditure I've ever made other than for a house? I just made an offer on a late model, highly rated and gently used gas guzzler boomer toy Class B+ motorhome. I fear after I sign the papers I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a raging case of buyer's remorse...especially if the market craps out on us in the next few months.

I need some convincing I won't regret doing this. Anyone...?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

REW, I know nothing about motor homes but I would tell you to rent one for a while first. If you gotta have it after that I say give it a shot but buy a used one. This way you don't get killed on resale if you have to get out.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I realize I'm new here and probably ought to not give my lowly opinion, but I'll offer some help. Before my financial revelation I was outstanding at justifying purchases.

If you're trying to look on the bright side you can always do these three things:
1. Sell it later if you really find it's a hassle or not worth it. You might lose some coin in the exchange but certainly won't be the end of the world. Just b/c you buy doesn't mean you have to hold it forever.
2. Remember that you'll save money not having to stay in hotels or dine out while on vacation.
3. If you're evrn in the "dog house," you've got a nice place to stay.

Does that help, even marginally?
GatorBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
gone traveling

I really want to buy one. My wife hates hotel beds sooooo the motor home would be soooo great. Right

Good luck my friend!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #5

73, I owned a Class C for a short while many years ago and I am familiar with what it's like to drive and use one. (I got rid of it because I was working long hours and was frustrated not being able to use it.) But your point is well taken. The owner of the unit I made the offer on bought it new and will still owe ~$20,000 on his note after I write him a check. He only put 5,000 miles on it in 3 years. Talk about taking a haircut!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #6

So if you like RVing and you seem to be buying the unit right go have a good time. The other guy already took the loss. Your gain!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
3. If you're evrn in the "dog house," you've got a nice place to stay.

Does that help, even marginally?
Thanks - that's one I hadn't considered!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You gonna maintain a blog like our good buddy George and Ms Tioga?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You gonna maintain a blog like our good buddy George and Ms Tioga?
Depends. If I have to spend a lot of time 'in the dog house', I just might...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you gotta realize that I bought it pre-FIRE and thus if we use it for 3 days a month we feel we're doing OK. Not smart money-wise, but maybe we enjoy it a little more for having to work still.

Thing about a class B is that you really can use it as a combined camper/tourer. We've had ours in the narrow winding streets of big cities without hesitating. We choose to take it on day trips (e.g. the beach) just for the ability to stop back and lie down a bit, have a cool one, whatever. Best scenario: make it double as your second family car. The only thing stopping me is low clearance at the only parking structure where I work.

Re: the decision to spend all that hard-earned money. It's frivolous, will never be recouped, you'll regret it if the market tanks, you will have severe buyers' remorse. You'll get pissed again every year when you pay the insurance and exorbitant servicing costs. You spend even more on RV organizations, useless add-ons and all that.

I'd do it again. Resistance is futile.

So, what kind are you about to buy?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #11

Latest develoment....

The bad news: Just got a phone call that the deal fell through. It was a consignment unit and it seems a salesman had taken a deposit earlier today but failed to tell anyone.

The good news: No chance of buyer's remorse and I get to keep my money.

Rich, it was a 2004 Isata 250SL.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #12

Dr. Strange Love: Go for it . . . and don't forget you can leave skid marks any dang place you want and then drive away.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Help! I've got motorhome fever and the struggle between my frugal "I-saved-for-years-to-retire" side and my "what-the-heck-are-you-saving-it-for" side are killing me!

Martha, Rich, and anyone else who owns a motorhome of any type, how did you allow yourself to spend the money for something that in my case is the second largest expenditure I've ever made other than for a house? I just made an offer on a late model, highly rated and gently used gas guzzler boomer toy Class B+ motorhome. I fear after I sign the papers I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a raging case of buyer's remorse...especially if the market craps out on us in the next few months.

I need some convincing I won't regret doing this. Anyone...?
You are not going to get any discouragement from me. An RV has always been my dream. I will get one myself as soon as I am financially in the safe zone. Forget justification. It can never be justified.

B+? You must be talking about a class-C without the overhead bed? Anyway, enjoy and (hopefully) stop thinking about justification.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Latest develoment....
The bad news: Just got a phone call that the deal fell through. It was a consignment unit and it seems a salesman had taken a deposit earlier today but failed to tell anyone.

Sales translation: "We think that at this stage you might be emotionally attached to the vehicle, so we're going to tell you that its already sold. Hopefully you'll call later and offer more, if you dont, we might call and tell you that the former deal is shaky, so for a slightly higher price its yours..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Sales translation: "We think that at this stage you might be emotionally attached to the vehicle, so we're going to tell you that its already sold. Hopefully you'll call later and offer more, if you dont, we might call and tell you that the former deal is shaky, so for a slightly higher price its yours..."
Possible...but they can take a flying **** at a rolling donut if they think I'll fall for that old trick. Gas prices stay around $3, there'll be lots of opportunities to snag a bargain in the next few months.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds like you're making good moves in buying "gently used", and paying attentions to the ratings.....(I'm a fan of RV Consumers Group info), and so what if this deal fell through....if gas goes through the roof this summer, bargains will be able to be found.

This is actually not a really good time to buy unless you are in the southwest or other snowbird location when summer IS the best time to buy. In more northern climates (I can't remember where you are, sorry), early fall or winter is your best bargain time.

In a dollar and cents analysis.....probably not so great. Motorhomes depreciate....but that's never stopped people from buying cars or boats, either.

My honest opinion? Life is short, and there's no sense in piling up money if you do without things you really want. Our system is to be very, very frugal on the stuff that doesn't really matter to us, and we're capable of being very spendy on the stuff that does....... I say go ahead, and just because this particular one didn't work out doesn't mean the next one won't be perfect....

good luck.....LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #17

REW, sorry to hear the deal fell through. I can't speak from experience, but I hope to be in your shoes before long. I'm already telling myself that this is why I've lived a frugal lifestyle for so long -- to be able to spend the money when the time comes.

I hope you find another one, an even better deal.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the effect of all the accumulated chigger-bite venom?

Are you saving the money for something else? I rode in a 2007 Prius the other day and in about 15 minutes found myself thinking "Gee, $27K isn't so bad..."

How long would it take your new purchase to get to BUM's driveway?

I'd say between now and September you're in the buyer's seat. We've noticed a huge leap in local sales ads. Is your Craigslist giving you any leads?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
This is actually not a really good time to buy unless you are in the southwest or other snowbird location when summer IS the best time to buy. In more northern climates (I can't remember where you are, sorry), early fall or winter is your best bargain time.
I'm in the Southwest and ads for gently (and not-so-gently) used RV's are definitely on the increase.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'm already telling myself that this is why I've lived a frugal lifestyle for so long -- to be able to spend the money when the time comes.
I hope you have better luck at making that transition than I'm experiencing. No problem in spending on day-to-day needs, but a big-ticket item is choke city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is this the effect of all the accumulated chigger-bite venom?
I doubt it. But come to think of it, I've begun having strange dreams about hiding in the weeds and jumping on anything passing by...

Quote:
Are you saving the money for something else? I rode in a 2007 Prius the other day and in about 15 minutes found myself thinking "Gee, $27K isn't so bad..."
Have you forgotten where I live? In these here parts, real men don't drive them 'fru-fru' cars.

Quote:
How long would it take your new purchase to get to BUM's driveway?
I'd planned on leaving Monday and being there by Wednesday in time for happy hour...

Quote:
Is your Craigslist giving you any leads?
Ads on Craigslist and at the largest RV consignment dealer in the US (located in Houston) are definitely on the increase. I think time is on my side and I'm willing to wait until the right deal comes along...again.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Ads on Craigslist and at the largest RV consignment dealer in the US (located in Houston) are definitely on the increase. I think time is on my side and I'm willing to wait until the right deal comes along...again.
Yep, I noticed the increase in PPL listing too.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote