Join Early Retirement Today

Holiday Greeting Photos Gone Bad
Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Holiday Greeting Photos Gone Bad

In the spirit of the holidays, I thought I'd pass along this:

Quote:
Sending out holiday cards is a tradition that dates back to the Stone Age, when the cavemen painted "Ho Ho Ho, Bro" onto their cave walls (probably). Since then, the custom has taken many forms -- now, some families even send their wishes via YouTube parodies -- but there's one thing most people can count on: kids won't completely cooperate as planned. Just ask this dad, whose son kicked him in the balls during their holiday card shoot and then ran "maniacally" away, according to mom:
30 Perfectly Imperfect Holiday Card Outtakes
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's one that actually worked...

I dressed as an Elf for a military family Christmas event a few years back.

I'm 5'6" tall, so when the first little one bawled (because of my height ?),
I grabbed a chair and sat down while handing out candy canes. No more tears.

Check out where Santa's hand is. Rascal !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElfSanta.jpg (795.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Continuing in that spirit, even though we live in West Virginia, a state known for, among other things, lots of coal mines, I haven't been able to find a bag of coal.

I know some people that would be an ideal gift for.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These are priceless! Thanks for the laughs.

I like #9 - the reason dad is semi-smiling has something to do with the large wine glass in his hand. Looks like mom's been at the eggnog (more than once) too.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

These photos reminded me of an imperfect holiday photo that I have from 1951 (below). This shows my two big brothers and me with Santa.

Notice that Santa was holding onto my brother's arm quite firmly. We were three fireballs so perhaps that was the only way they could get all three of us in the photo at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas1951.jpg (35.0 KB, 25 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Continuing in that spirit, even though we live in West Virginia, a state known for, among other things, lots of coal mines, I haven't been able to find a bag of coal.

I know some people that would be an ideal gift for.
Wards Scientific sells coal as a mineral specimen. I suspect if you find a local rock shop they may have some also.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Wards Scientific sells coal as a mineral specimen. I suspect if you find a local rock shop they may have some also.
If local fails. You can order sacks for online for $30.00? Think they have larger sacks if you need that much.

http://www.buycoalonline.com/#2836

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Look out near the grill.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I found this old photo of my sister and me posing with Santa at the local shopping center circa 1980. My sister's eyes are closed and Santa looks bored to death...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1322.jpg (418.4 KB, 22 views)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I found this old photo of my sister and me posing with Santa at the local shopping center circa 1980. My sister's eyes are closed and Santa looks bored to death...
That Santa looks like one of the duck dynasty clan
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Look out near the grill.
You ain't no coal-cracker, harley. That's charcoal by the grill, not anthracite or bituminous. Only real coal works.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If local fails. You can order sacks for online for $30.00? Think they have larger sacks if you need that much.

Buy Coal
Perfect, except for the price. I may have to just walk along the nearby railroad tracks and see if some fell off the trains. I see coal trains going by often and remember my father telling of doing that to get coal to heat the house with.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Walt, my dad told me the same about walking tracks and picking up coal during depression days. Of course they lived in a mining town and thats pretty much all the trains carried. Luckily his generation the family had quit mining, the prior generation did have some miners. Tough jobs, tough way to live.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You ain't no coal-cracker, harley. That's charcoal by the grill, not anthracite or bituminous. Only real coal works.
You're right about that. Actually went to college in SW VA, there was coal on the tracks everywhere. Got a minor in Geology, too. But DW's (GF at the time) roommate's dad from down around Marion had black lung from mining. I met him once, and never wanted to be near coal mining again. Nasty. I'll stick with Kingston.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Heck, my grill is propane so I do not even have a bag of Kingston handy. However, if I want to make a point to someone, I think I can get it across by sending the lump of cinder, the rock that is in my gas grill to catch the grease dripping. Are you saying that would not work?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Heck, my grill is propane so I do not even have a bag of Kingston handy. However, if I want to make a point to someone, I think I can get it across by sending the lump of cinder, the rock that is in my gas grill to catch the grease dripping. Are you saying that would not work?
It probably does, it's a story. But to be true to the story......

I always thought it was odd, in that parents were from coal country and the threat was a lump of coal. Mining is dirty, filthy, the town they were from had underground mine fires for 90 years. The stench of buning coal permeates everything. They always said they escaped the area. They were so proud they had oil heat not coal. So to this little kid it felt like the story was a personal punishment.

I'd figured it would be something useless in the area (sand in the desert....saltwater on beach areas). But coal seems to be universal, maybe the story teller was from coal country.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You're right about that. Actually went to college in SW VA, there was coal on the tracks everywhere. Got a minor in Geology, too. But DW's (GF at the time) roommate's dad from down around Marion had black lung from mining. I met him once, and never wanted to be near coal mining again. Nasty. I'll stick with Kingston.
Sorry to hear of black lung. Supposedly my Grandfather had it too. I remember him being in an O2 tent at the end, I was pretty young.

Don't think anyone really wants those jobs just no other way to feed the family.

We had a small family reunion this year, went through a bunch of photos and stuff. One was a letter my cousins son had written about his grandfather's life(my uncle). As the young man told the story my uncle had asked his father what he could be when he grew up. His dad promised he could do anything he wanted, except work in the mines. As the story went his dad promised he would break both his son's legs if he ever went to apply there. My uncle listened, got some education and moved away.

Sorry for the drift. Back to the topic....

Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in the S. Indiana mines when I was in college. High wages (for the area) but I was clear that I knew the name of the last day I was working in the mines.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote