Join Early Retirement Today

Holiday Misery
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holiday Misery

Yesterday was Monday, my new favorite day of the week. Like normal, I got up at a most reasonable time and decided I would knock off a couple of "to-do" items that necessitated my leaving the house.

BIG MISTAKE.

I assumed that most of the holiday buffoonery would wait until Wednesday, but man oh man, was I WRONG. I was out and about for about an hour and I swear, it took off about 3 years from my life. People around here tend to be a fairly friendly lot, but when the holidays are around the corner, it's every man for himself and there wasn't a friendly face to be seen ANYWHERE.

Anyway, I got home and am going to do my best to avoid the masses as best as I can for a while. I am sorry for those of you that still have to w*rk, but I can't WAIT until you go back!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I feel your pain. I grocery shop on Monday mornings and it was like a Saturday there. Hardly any parking and traffic sucked.

And get off my snow covered lawn!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ughh. I just realized that a coupon I have for a free oil change expires TOMORROW and I really want to use it. Without the coupon, it costs me about $40 to get the oil changed. I REALLY don't want to go out there...decisions, decisions!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Went Black Friday shopping a few years back and swore that I'd never do that again. No fun bumping into strangers jockeying for position. The only kind of Black Friday shopping I'd do, if any is online.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
<snip>I was out and about for about an hour and I swear, it took off about 3 years from my life.
With this new mortality information, you may want to consider re-running FIRECalc.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
With this new mortality information, you may want to consider re-running FIRECalc.
That's a good point. I shouldn't worry too much about buying the overpriced ('tis the season!) Honey Baked Ham, huh?

I also decided to just pay for the oil change tomorrow. They won't be busy (at least, I doubt it) and hey...maybe I can convince them to use my expired coupon.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Went Black Friday shopping a few years back and swore that I'd never do that again. No fun bumping into strangers jockeying for position. The only kind of Black Friday shopping I'd do, if any is online.

"All Fridays Matter"
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

From Thanksgiving until after the first of the new year I stay away from any shopping malls or like venues. All of my shopping these days is done on line.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Likewise! I used to buy lots of clothes for work on the day after Christmas, but now that I don't need work clothes, we stay away from stores. Even 20 years ago, the shoppers' behavior was awful...we came out of the store to find that our little car had its side pushed in by some SUV driver who didn't even leave a note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
From Thanksgiving until after the first of the new year I stay away from any shopping malls or like venues. All of my shopping these days is done on line.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
And start taking SS early!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, I enjoy all the Christmas energy.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Likewise! I used to buy lots of clothes for work on the day after Christmas, but now that I don't need work clothes, we stay away from stores. Even 20 years ago, the shoppers' behavior was awful...we came out of the store to find that our little car had its side pushed in by some SUV driver who didn't even leave a note.
+1. We used to take advantage of day after Christmas sales too, but it's not worth it anymore. Sadly, way too much bad behavior out there these days, I feel sorry for the folks who work retail and have to put up with all the obvious BS. Good thing you can buy most anything online now, usually at lower prices than brick-n-mortar stores too, every day of the year including after holidays...

We've never been tempted by brick-n-mortar Black Friday, and never will.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My place of employment is located next to a popular mall and I've come to hate Decembers. It will be especially bad this year due to unfinished road construction.

Thankfully, this will be my last ever holiday season spent commuting...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #14

And how many will be driven to madness by the unceasing Nat King Cole songs?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
And how many will be driven to madness by the unceasing Nat King Cole songs?
No one. Nat King Cole is cool.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Gosh, I enjoy all the Christmas energy.
+1

Both DW and I grew up in cities but we now live in a rural/suburban area, and the increased activity does not bother us. It is only for 6 weeks or so, and we can take it. The best way we find to deal with it in our area is to get out early and be back before noon. With most stores opening 1-2 hours earlier, that becomes the quiet time to shop.

We tend to get our gift shopping done early, and one of our "guilty pleasures" is going to the local malls a week or so before Christmas and just people watch. It can be quite amusing.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am still w*rking and in retail, I really dislike this time of year. The months of November and December are the worst as far as mean, ornery, unhappy people that are out in droves. You'd think that this time of year might be different with the holidays, people would be happy, thankful, being around family (maybe that is why they are ornery) etc. etc.
Heck no, plan on getting yelled at for the littlest thing out of your control that doesn't go their way. Uggh, can't wait for FI!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #18

DW and I used to absolutely dread Thanksgiving weekend. As younger children in our families we were obliged to drive hundreds of miles to have dinners with both families on different days. All that amidst the traffic, crowding and general craziness cited by the OP.

With all our parents gone now these last few years we just hunker down and hide for 5 days. When folks ask us what we're doing for Thanksgiving we both relievedly chime in: "Nothing!"
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Traffic and crowds here are just crazy. I wouldn't dare venture into a grocery store this week. I did stop at a Walgreen's and got the last parking spot, but it wasn't as crowded as I feared. I guess they had their "A Team" at the cash registers.

We usually have Thanksgiving with his extended family, but that is pretty tiring because there are so many of them and kids running around and so on. This year our plan is to beg off and just go to a Chinese restaurant together. I'm SO done with cooking holiday dinners myself, BTDT for many years and it doesn't do much for me any more. So, I told him that no way, no how, was I going to cook! When I told him that, he said in an appropriately horrified tone, "Of course not!" I love it. We are such a great match.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
From New Years Day until New Years Eve, I stay away from any shopping malls or like venues.........