Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The marijuana scene was hilarious .
It's also the reason the film is rated "R".

Quote:
The romantic comedy “It’s Complicated” arrived at the multiplex on Friday complete with an R rating, ranking it in the same category as “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Basic Instinct” in the eyes of the Motion Picture Associatiation of America.

But there is no violence in “It’s Complicated,” and the bedroom scenes are decidedly tame by contemporary standards. Instead, the R rating — which experts say could limit the box-office potential of the Universal Pictures film — comes largely from a sequence in which Steve Martin and Meryl Streep smoke marijuana.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/bu...25ratings.html

I like this argument about whether it influences kids.

Quote:
The board, according to these people, thought the scene was uproariously funny and could leave children with a strong message that smoking marijuana is fun. The opposite, of course, could be argued: One way to make young people think that marijuana is uncool is to show the white-haired Mr. Martin, 64, smoking it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't recognize Jude Law as Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes. I saw the movie on the spur of the moment in FL and had to read the credits to see he was indeed in the cast.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not go to movies much. As a matter of fact I think it has been 20 years since I last watched a movie. I went to see Avatar today. I did not care for it. Everyone I talked to just loved this movie but not me. Maybe it is just because of my age. oldtrig
Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I didn't recognize Jude Law as Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes. I saw the movie on the spur of the moment in FL and had to read the credits to see he was indeed in the cast.
He's an amazing actor; I'd like to see a marathon of his performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I do not go to movies much. As a matter of fact I think it has been 20 years since I last watched a movie. I went to see Avatar today. I did not care for it. Everyone I talked to just loved this movie but not me. Maybe it is just because of my age. oldtrig
I'll have to think more than twice about maybe seeing that one. Maybe, "Young Victoria" is next for me. Anyone want to see "The Lovely Bones"? I suffered thru an audio recording of the book but really want to see Susan Surandon camp up the grandmother role.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
. Anyone want to see "The Lovely Bones"? I suffered thru an audio recording of the book but really want to see Susan Surandon camp up the grandmother role.

I avoided reading the book but I am thinking about seeing the movie . I might wait until it gets to the $1.50 movie .
Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I sent DH to see Avatar yesterday by himself. I knew I wouldn't be able to get past the blue people, while he knew he would love it. And he did!

We might go see The Lovely Bones tomorrow. I read the book for a book club and thought it was really well written. Up in the Air will be in our cheap theater soon, I think, and we'll go see that too. Also will likely see It's Complicated this week for a girls' night out.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

We might go see The Lovely Bones tomorrow. I read the book for a book club and thought it was really well written....
My experiment in audiobooks may be a failure; it's like, do I want to take a nap or listen? I re-started several of the disks and remembered none of it. Back to page reading when the weather improves.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I have trouble listening to "good" books on audio--the schlockier/more-action-oriented the story/plot, the easier it is for me to listen to. It's hard too (for me) on a CD or mp3 format to backtrack to the point where I got distracted; with the schlocky stuff, it's pretty easy to see where the story is going even if I get distracted for five minutes or so. And with a really "good" book, I feel guilty if I don't listen to every word, so I end up reading those books in print anyway.

But our local critic didn't like The Lovely Bones as a movie, so I'm not expecting too much (and I hope to be surprised by how good it may be)!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
He's an amazing actor; I'd like to see a marathon of his performances.

Yes, I like Jude Law as an actor very much. I still remember his remarkable performance in "The Talented Mr. Ripley".
Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have trouble listening to "good" books on audio--the schlockier/more-action-oriented the story/plot, the easier it is for me to listen to. It's hard too (for me) on a CD or mp3 format to backtrack to the point where I got distracted; with the schlocky stuff, it's pretty easy to see where the story is going even if I get distracted for five minutes or so. And with a really "good" book, I feel guilty if I don't listen to every word, so I end up reading those books in print anyway.

But our local critic didn't like The Lovely Bones as a movie, so I'm not expecting too much (and I hope to be surprised by how good it may be)!
Roger Ebert really panned the premise; but isn't that what suspension of disbelief is all about? I plan on getting out the rain gear and going today, oh wait, this is a holiday, make that Wednesday.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem with audio. Reading does require some backtracking and pausing.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Yes, I like Jude Law as an actor very much. I still remember his remarkable performance in "The Talented Mr. Ripley".
I think one year he starred in four good movies; that's one way to get noticed (it's very rare that a new actor hits my radar) and he still doesn't seem over-exposed.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #32

We saw Avatar today. We really enjoyed it. I wanted to be sure and see it on the big screen and was glad that we did. I read the book, The Lovely Bones, and would not mind seeing the movie, but don't know if I will make it or not. We don't normally go to the movies as much as we have lately. I need to figure out what I am packing for my cruise this week. We are leaving Sat morning for FL, so I need to get busy.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Back from seeing The Lovely Bones. IMHO it's a rental. It more or less followed the book but emphasized some different things in the story at the sacrifice of others. Good performances by all, nice looking movie, but sum of the parts not greater than the whole.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another not-so-new movie here, but I just saw the 500 Days of Summer for the first time and really enjoyed it. It's a chick flick, for sure. But it had a good balance of disappointment and hopefulness.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #35

I like listenign to audiobooks. Lately I get tired when reading, my eyesight getting poorer and poorer. Of course listening to audiobooks requires a lot of concentration and a functional MP3 gadget. And an interesting book that grabs your from the get go. And yes, if I lie down in bed I tend to go to sleep. But it´s great for taking a walk!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I like listenign to audiobooks. Lately I get tired when reading, my eyesight getting poorer and poorer. Of course listening to audiobooks requires a lot of concentration and a functional MP3 gadget. And an interesting book that grabs your from the get go. And yes, if I lie down in bed I tend to go to sleep. But it´s great for taking a walk!
Get stronger reading glasses. It is well worth it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Get stronger reading glasses. It is well worth it.
I wish...! But I´ve been told by several ophtalmologists that my eyesight´s multiple problems make this imposible. Got the strongest effective reading glasses.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
So true, I got into audiobooks years ago when too much computer time messed up my vision; had to quit that type of work and found a different career direction.

Went to see “The Lovely Bones” with lowered expectations from reviews and comments. I thoroughly enjoyed the meditative quality of it, wasn’t bored for a second. Now when I fill E-N-O into the crossword puzzle I have an idea who he is.

One I’d like to see again, “Me and Orson Welles.”