Holiday Movies

I sent DH to see Avatar yesterday by himself. I knew I wouldn't be able to get past the blue people, while he knew he would love it. And he did!

We might go see The Lovely Bones tomorrow. I read the book for a book club and thought it was really well written. Up in the Air will be in our cheap theater soon, I think, and we'll go see that too. Also will likely see It's Complicated this week for a girls' night out.

We might go see The Lovely Bones tomorrow. I read the book for a book club and thought it was really well written....
My experiment in audiobooks may be a failure; it's like, do I want to take a nap or listen? I re-started several of the disks and remembered none of it. Back to page reading when the weather improves.

I have trouble listening to "good" books on audio--the schlockier/more-action-oriented the story/plot, the easier it is for me to listen to. It's hard too (for me) on a CD or mp3 format to backtrack to the point where I got distracted; with the schlocky stuff, it's pretty easy to see where the story is going even if I get distracted for five minutes or so. And with a really "good" book, I feel guilty if I don't listen to every word, so I end up reading those books in print anyway.

But our local critic didn't like The Lovely Bones as a movie, so I'm not expecting too much (and I hope to be surprised by how good it may be)!

I have trouble listening to "good" books on audio--the schlockier/more-action-oriented the story/plot, the easier it is for me to listen to. It's hard too (for me) on a CD or mp3 format to backtrack to the point where I got distracted; with the schlocky stuff, it's pretty easy to see where the story is going even if I get distracted for five minutes or so. And with a really "good" book, I feel guilty if I don't listen to every word, so I end up reading those books in print anyway.

But our local critic didn't like The Lovely Bones as a movie, so I'm not expecting too much (and I hope to be surprised by how good it may be)!

Roger Ebert really panned the premise; but isn't that what suspension of disbelief is all about? I plan on getting out the rain gear and going today, oh wait, this is a holiday, make that Wednesday.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem with audio. Reading does require some backtracking and pausing.

Yes, I like Jude Law as an actor very much. I still remember his remarkable performance in "The Talented Mr. Ripley".

I think one year he starred in four good movies; that's one way to get noticed (it's very rare that a new actor hits my radar) and he still doesn't seem over-exposed.

We saw Avatar today. We really enjoyed it. I wanted to be sure and see it on the big screen and was glad that we did. I read the book, The Lovely Bones, and would not mind seeing the movie, but don't know if I will make it or not. We don't normally go to the movies as much as we have lately. I need to figure out what I am packing for my cruise this week. We are leaving Sat morning for FL, so I need to get busy.

Back from seeing The Lovely Bones. IMHO it's a rental. It more or less followed the book but emphasized some different things in the story at the sacrifice of others. Good performances by all, nice looking movie, but sum of the parts not greater than the whole.

Another not-so-new movie here, but I just saw the 500 Days of Summer for the first time and really enjoyed it. It's a chick flick, for sure. But it had a good balance of disappointment and hopefulness.

I like listenign to audiobooks. Lately I get tired when reading, my eyesight getting poorer and poorer. Of course listening to audiobooks requires a lot of concentration and a functional MP3 gadget. And an interesting book that grabs your from the get go. And yes, if I lie down in bed I tend to go to sleep. But it´s great for taking a walk!

I like listenign to audiobooks. Lately I get tired when reading, my eyesight getting poorer and poorer. Of course listening to audiobooks requires a lot of concentration and a functional MP3 gadget. And an interesting book that grabs your from the get go. And yes, if I lie down in bed I tend to go to sleep. But it´s great for taking a walk!

Get stronger reading glasses. It is well worth it.

Get stronger reading glasses. It is well worth it.

I wish...! But I´ve been told by several ophtalmologists that my eyesight´s multiple problems make this imposible. Got the strongest effective reading glasses.

So true, I got into audiobooks years ago when too much computer time messed up my vision; had to quit that type of work and found a different career direction.

Went to see “The Lovely Bones” with lowered expectations from reviews and comments. I thoroughly enjoyed the meditative quality of it, wasn’t bored for a second. Now when I fill E-N-O into the crossword puzzle I have an idea who he is.

One I’d like to see again, “Me and Orson Welles.”

Back
Top Bottom