Join Early Retirement Today

Holiday Movies
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holiday Movies

Ok beside Avatar any other Holiday movie recommendation or discussions.

Up in the Air, with Clooney is on my list. Not sure about Blindside, probably wait for Netflix.

I can recommend Invictus, Eastwood's latest. Morgan Freeman stars as Nelson Mandela and he is awesome. Matt Damon plays the captain of the South African Rugby team and is also excellent.

At this point in his career I think that Eastwood is the most consistent maker of fine dramas of any director. The only problem is that since almost all of his movies are heavily character oriented you probably can wait to rent/netflix them and not lose much. Unlike a movie like Avatar which really needs to be seen on a big screen.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We saw Nine for Christmas. I didn't like it. Just not my type of movie and I would have rather seen Up In The Air. I felt like Nine didn't have much of a plot until the closing credits. The songs were instantly forgettable. Sophia Loren was very good and I loved the wife of the main character. He was a self absorbed, adulterous, movie director in the midst of an anxiety attack (why does someone think we need to have a movie about this?). She was the best thing in his life but he was thinking (and acting) with his little head instead of his big head.

This movie had some big name stars but most of them were unnecessary characters. The character played by Nicole Kidman could have been played by any female in a blond wig and long flowing dress.

I think what ticked me off the most was the 15 minutes of COMMERCIALS even before the trailers. Cell phone ads, car ads and long ones for each of the military branches.

We don't go to the movies very often so this was a disappointment. We may still go see Avatar while everyone is home on vacation.

After 20 minutes of Nine I was checking my watch to see if the George Clooney movie in the adjacent theater had started already and wondering if my family would notice if I escaped......
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Blindside was AWESOME!!! Sandra Bullock should have an Oscar locked up for her performance.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #4

Saw Up In The Air today. It was better than I expected. Clooney was a natural for the lead - excellent casting choice.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #5

i liked the sherlock holmes movie. more action and less mystery than
the usual holmes formula but i still enjoyed it.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #6

I'll second Blind Side - best movie we have seen all year!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I saw Blindside last week . Great movie ! Tomorrow we are going to see It's complicated . It looks funny so I hope it is .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #8

We enjoyed Blind Side also. We are going to see Sherlock Holmes tomorrow, so I am glad to hear that others enjoyed it. I would have preferred going to see Avatar, but the other 3 want Sherlock Holmes.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I saw Blindside last week . Great movie ! Tomorrow we are going to see It's complicated . It looks funny so I hope it is .
Well after hearing all the good stuff about Blindside, I noticed that 20/20 had a program about the movie so I watched it. I must say the real life mom and the cheerleader daughter have lots of spunk and are really beautiful. The coolest thing though is the actor who played Michael Oher in the movie was a security guard from a broken home. He was about to be evicted when he got the news that he got the part. It was his first acting role.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Saw Up in the Air this evening. Great movie! Sometimes I feel like the George Clooney character....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #11

Saw Sherlock Holmes tonight. It was a cute movie in some places and lots of action. I think the other 3 people enjoyed it more than me. I definitely liked Blind Side a lot better.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Saw Sherlock Holmes tonight. It was a cute movie in some places and lots of action. I think the other 3 people enjoyed it more than me. I definitely liked Blind Side a lot better.
I didn't like Sherlock Holmes. In one sense, it was a good movie, but to me it was not what I wanted to see in a Sherlock Holmes movie. Too much violence (oh, oops, I meant "action" ). I thought Robert Downey Jr. did as good a job as possible with that part. Sometimes an actor isn't given much to work with.

When we were watching the "future attractions" before Sherlock Holmes, I mentioned to Frank that movies these days seem to enjoy showing people in danger of falling from terrifying heights. Fear and bloodlust seem to be the primal emotions that are easiest to evoke, and movies no longer bother trying to evoke the more complex emotions. (And get those kids off my lawn! ). Then coincidently, Sherlock Holmes proved my point IMO.

I wish we had seen Avatar. Seems like that is the movie to see this holiday season, and plus it won't be the same if I wait to watch it on DVD, due to the lack of 3-D.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You are retired W2R, go see Avatar in the afternoon, no crowds, cheaper prices. Make Frank jealous. Or have him take a mental health day.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

We went to see " It's complicated " . Cute but it's a wait for the DVD type movie . SO said it was a little too chicky in places for him .
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #15

We went to see It's Complicated last night. I really enjoyed it. I have not laughed so hard in a long time at the movies. I guess it was picturing myself doing some of the stuff that I have not done since the early 70's. My sister and her DH really liked it too. My DH agreed with your SO, Moemg, and said that it was a chick flick. I hope that they continue making these types of film for us baby boomers.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
We went to see It's Complicated last night. I really enjoyed it. I have not laughed so hard in a long time at the movies. I guess it was picturing myself doing some of the stuff that I have not done since the early 70's. My sister and her DH really liked it too. My DH agreed with your SO, Moemg, and said that it was a chick flick. I hope that they continue making these types of film for us baby boomers.

The marijuana scene was hilarious . I recently watched All about Steve . It is so stupid it's funny. I was laughing out loud . Sandra Bullock plays a real nerd .
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #17

I will have to remember to see All about Steve then. I love movies where I laugh out loud. I really like Sandra Bullock also. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #18

I saw "The Young Victoria" yesterday and liked it. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I enjoy historical dramas.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We saw Sherlock Holmes as if there just wasn’t anything else out there for the season. Agree with what others say, gratuitous action but somewhat fun to discuss, “how gay was that?” “Oh, not at all, they are just oddly dependent on each other.” I was disappointed because I thought Johnny Depp was cast as Holmes, had to lower re-adjust my expectations.

BTW, iTunes has a delightful free Sherlock Holmes app. with two short stories to read (at the bus stop, in line at the store, etc.) and some short videos which actually work on my iPod, I like the one about opium dens. Am saving the other story for later.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Not new, but....
I watched The Hours on the late night movie last night. I had seen it in the cinema when it first came out and enjoyed it. But the second time around I saw even more connections between the three stories. The three major stars (Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep) are all wonderful. In fact, you can't even recognize Nicole Kidman as she wears a pointy nose to play Virginia Woolf.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote