Join Early Retirement Today

Home and Auto Insurance through Costco
Old 12-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anybody used Costco's referred service for Homeowner's and/or Auto insurance? If so, what did you think of it?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

When I saw the word "Ameriprise", I turned around.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I saw the word "Ameriprise", I turned around.
Where did you see this? ^^^^
Old 12-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Where did you see this? ^^^^

It's all over the Costco webpage!

For nearly two decades, Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance has been providing Costco members auto, home and umbrella insurance.

I never even knew Ameriprise offered insurance. Probably a lure to enroll in their investment products. Definitely a hard stop for me.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It's all over the Costco webpage!

For nearly two decades, Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance has been providing Costco members auto, home and umbrella insurance.

I never even knew Ameriprise offered insurance. Probably a lure to enroll in their investment products. Definitely a hard stop for me.
We joined Costco last year as my prescription plan is using them for my pick ups. I have not seen there web page in a while so I'll check it out. No deal for me either, then.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

I've had the auto insurance for about 4 years. I shop every renewal and Ameriprise always comes in the lowest, by a good margin. Used them recently for a small claim. Super friendly folks on the phone, fast service and absolutely no issues.

Not once have I been solicited for other insurance / investment products by them.
JeffreyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. I was surprised at the low rates through Costco on our home and auto. I've heard all the negative financial experiences others have had. I'm with them just for the insurance. Here is the breakdown on what we are currently paying:

House: $485k value premium is $433/yr

2013 Honda Accord and 2001 Mazda MPV minivan premium is $548/yr

No one else came close, some were double and I shopped the other big names thoroughly. Do your own due diligence.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for 1st hand feedback. Guess I'll have to reconsider my revulsion of the company.

We use BJs Wholesale Club, not Costco and Geico is their affiliate, but I hate Geico too!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have not found any insurance company I am happy with. One that is not to offensive would be OK, I guess. I get the impression that shopping my policy may help keep me from falling into the "this guy doesn't shop his policy so we can raise his rates" group.

OTOH, I am getting some long term discounts and my current insurer, while not great is certainly not among the worst.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ack, I've been shopping for new insurance this month. I had purchased a policy for home and cars from Allstate, and prepaid for a year. After 3 months they raised the homeowner rate by 20%, and didn't tell me. Since I signed up for autopay, maybe they thought I wouldn't notice when they charged me an extra payment. Scumbags.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon cornped View Post
Agreed. I was surprised at the low rates through Costco on our home and auto. I've heard all the negative financial experiences others have had. I'm with them just for the insurance. Here is the breakdown on what we are currently paying:

House: $485k value premium is $433/yr

2013 Honda Accord and 2001 Mazda MPV minivan premium is $548/yr

No one else came close, some were double and I shopped the other big names thoroughly. Do your own due diligence.
Where do you live, those rates are amazing
My house value is $275k and I pay just under $200 a month
My cars are a 2012 Nissan versa and a 2012 jeep Cherokee total per month is $150
I am in Texas and have state farm which is the cheapest I have found but have not tried Costco yet
Thanks
Greg
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sheldon cornped is from Oregon which is the lowest cost state for homeowners insurance and near the bottom for auto insurance.
wmc1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Sheldon cornped is from Oregon which is the lowest cost state for homeowners insurance and near the bottom for auto insurance.
that figures.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costco insurance.