Home computer questions--yet again

But don't forget to plug it into your thingamajig. (You can connect them with a whatchamacallit.)

Dear god, I looked and -- there's an exhaustive Wikipedia article on cadigans.

OK, I printed off your directions and I'm going for it. If you don't see me again, I am stuck in the ethermacallit.

I am so happy. Happy happy happy. I am on the internet on three computers! I loooooove you guys. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Now I have to make it secure. :police:

Back to reading instructions. :duh:

Help! Help! DW said she just made our new network secure. She says she has . . . geekchops. She's dancing in the living room, getting ready to internet AND watch HGTV tonite. What do I do . . . be-do-be-do?

Martha, am I secure? :-*

--*re*

Well thats easy...give me your IP address and I'll tell you in about 30 seconds.

Better still, you'll know in about 15....

Shield's up!

I followed the instructions Al linked to. I hope I'm good. :)

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Help! Help! DW said she just made our new network secure. She says she has . . . geekchops. She's dancing in the living room, getting ready to internet AND watch HGTV tonite. What do I do . . . be-do-be-do?

Martha, am I secure? :-*

--*re*

So is Martha the techno Geek around your house? - Greg what are your talents? :-X

Greg cuts the paper towel rolls in half. Hey, it's not that easy to do -- try it!

Rock on, Martha! Found this thread late. I was the geek friend who set up others wireless networks, but I stopped when someone forgot and lost their password and was miffed at me. :-X

Hey HFWR, you suggested disabling SSID. I don't know what that is and how to do it, so I didn't.

Important? Or no?

Martha said:
Hey HFWR, you suggested disabling SSID. I don't know what that is and how to do it, so I didn't.

Important? Or no?

This is the Broadcast ID of your Network. If you disable it, I don't think you'll be able to 'see it' in the network list. If you have WPA security enabled, I would not disable it. I don't disable mine either.

Martha said:
Now I have to make it secure. :police:
Martha said:
Shield's up!
I followed the instructions Al linked to. I hope I'm good. :)
Cut-Throat said:
You're good to go! 8)
Maybe you're good, maybe not...

Business Week: "Warning: Your Wi-Fi Is Vulnerable to Attack"

"On Aug. 1, Intel issued a bulletin warning of three flaws in the software that lets its Wi-Fi radios communicate with the Windows operating system. Although the company said that it knew of no active exploitation of the flaws, one of them was especially dangerous because it could allow an attacker to take remote control of a computer over the air. Then the next day, on Aug. 2, two researchers demonstrated just such an attack at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas."

Maybe you better give TH your IP address anyway... woops, maybe you don't have to!

Your safe from me, Martha. I wouldn't know how to hack your computer no matter what addresses and numbers you gave me. And I intend to spend no time trying to figure it out. :D

I wanted to activate WPA but unfortunately my wireless pcmcia card only handles WEP. I got it this past March from a good neighbor in exchange for an old ladder. He had a bunch of them from a past security project. I guess it must have been over 3 or 4 years old. I guess he got the better end of the deal. It will be a moot point in about a week as I will be on the road and will depend on public access rather than my personal DSL connection. At least I know what to ask for if I need to upgrade to another card.

Back
Top Bottom