Join Early Retirement Today

Home Depot appliance warranty.....
Old 10-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Home Depot appliance warranty.....

4 and a half years ago we bought a new Maytag washer and dryer. That washer had so many menus and electronics I thought.....sure for $100 Iíll buy the 5 year warranty. First time ever for me.

Well it went on the fritz a few weeks ago. They couldnít fix it as the motherboard and a few other parts were no longer made.

No stalling, no fuss, no arguing, they immediately sent me my full refund. It worked! I believe Iíll try it again.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you buy a similarly featured replacement with the amount that they sent you?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, to clarify, did they send you a refund of $100 for the warranty or the refund on the washer and dryer? I bet for every claim under warranty they have, plenty go unclaimed so the warranty is still profitable.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It was the cost of the washer and sales tax only. Around $728. Plenty of units in that range.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Bummer though that you will now have a mismatched pair.

Is it me or does it seem strange that a motherboard for a 4 1/2 year old washer is no longer available?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I donít mind being mis matched. LG has the top 5 washers rated now. So, getting an LG. The bearings went out as well. I expected better from Maytag. They donít make them like they used to. I think the lonely Maytag repairman went the way of the dodo bird.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 10-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is it me or does it seem strange that a motherboard for a 4 1/2 year old washer is no longer available?
Yes it does seems strange. And if I'd paid that much for it (w/o extended warranty) and couldn't get parts less than five years later I'd be furious, and make sure to never buy that brand again.

And have DW post on Facebook about it to make sure all the friends/relatives knew about it.

About a year and a half after we bought a Kenmore dryer the motherboard died and the repair was going to cost half the cost of a new dryer. I threw it out and bought a Whirlpool which 14 years later is still going strong.

Karma's a bitch, Sears!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
It was the cost of the washer and sales tax only. Around $728. Plenty of units in that range.
Great to read when a store stands by their extended warranty without fuss.

Reminds me of the time I bought a GPS from Best Buy and too got an extended warranty for $100 (Back in those days, the GPS I bought was an earlier brick sized Garmin that costed about $1000). Well, the GPS' hard drive gave out. Yes, hard drive. So, I went to Best Buy and showed my warranty. The worker there said I could just go and pick out a brand new one (different model as the one I has was not longer sold) as a replacement. I ended up getting a basic, smaller GPS and the worker said are you sure? as there were more expensive models I could choose from.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Lucky break for you. The circuit board in a front loader Sears washer went out on me and a new board was about $250. I set up an automatic search on eBay and within a few weeks, I got a hit and bought it for $75.

I'm not suggesting that you should have done the same, only pointing out that the electronic parts are so expensive that people scrounge and resell them.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That's probably by design. Why sell a motherboard when they can sell you an entirely new washer instead?
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #11

I had almost the same exact experience as the OP. Purchased a GE refrigerator over 10 years ago at HD, almost never buy the extended warranty but for $80 at the time it seemed worth it. Started having problems after a few years, was sure it was past my 5 year warrant period but checked anyway and found I had 1 month remaining. They came out and fixed it, replaced one of the electronic control boards, and it's been working fine since (more than 5 years). Had a problem with the ice dispenser about a year ago but was able to fix that myself with a ~$10 part.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Quote:
... Is it me or does it seem strange that a motherboard for a 4 1/2 year old washer is no longer available?
That's probably by design. Why sell a motherboard when they can sell you an entirely new washer instead?
This is an area that I wish some Environmental, or Consumer or Industry group, or even the Government would get involved in.

There is just no reason that the controls for these appliances can't be based on some standards with cheap generic replacements.

I've been buying some micro-controller boards for $7 (yes, $7 retail, 2-3 qty, including shipping) that have Wi-Fi, 1 MB of flash memory, lots of digital and analog I/O, an A-D converter, etc.

Couple that with some standard switch modules, and standard displays, and a standard relay board to control solenoids, etc, and everything should be able to replaced for $10 or less.

Far too many appliances are being scrapped far before their time, because a repair is just too expensive.

I think consumers would go for it if the information were available. Like the Energy Star ratings, maybe a fact sheet that shows the replacement cost of each main component, and/or a single rating for the 'replace-ability/repair-ability' index.

Europe made the push to eliminate non-standard chargers for mobile phones. That was a good thing, it meant you didn't need to buy/replace an old working charger just because you got a new phone. It was cheaper for consumers, and more convenient, as you could borrow someone else's charger if needed. Less stuff going to a landfill, less stuff being produced. A win-win. And it didn't kill the cell phone makers.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #13

My girlfriend just sold her house. Just before listing she had offered to trade her 4-5 year old front loader washer and dryer, both of which have electronic panels in exchange for my 15+ year old washer and dryer that have old fashioned mechanical dials as she was leaving them with the house and thought I might want newer appliances.

I chose to keep my older washer and dryer.

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote