Join Early Retirement Today

Home depot closing stores.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home depot closing stores.

Home Depot to close 15 underperforming US stores: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

The East Brunswick, NJ store and Saddlebrook NJ stores , interesting. The stores going the way of Channel Lumber and Rickles!!

I always thought at some point these real big hardware stores would end up in trouble like the two I just mentioned.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #2

Closing less than 1% of your locations is a sign they're going under?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Administrator

They've built several stores out here in the past couple of years, for obvious reasons, and they have either recently opened or are scheduled to open shortly. So has Lowe's, and all seem to be doing brisk business as far as I can tell.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #4

i've got a home depot and a lowes within 5 minutes of me and another home depot 2 minutes down the road from the lowes. maybe if one of the three closes we can have our little neighborhood hardware stores back.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i've got a home depot and a lowes within 5 minutes of me and another home depot 2 minutes down the road from the lowes. maybe if one of the three closes we can have our little neighborhood hardware stores back.
Lazy, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly why I want to remain in the over-priced city. There are three really cool family-owned hardware stores within walking distance. Paid ten bucks recently for a coffee mug, didn't mind a bit.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's one closing in my neck of the woods, and I am surprised it took this long. Kmart already vacated across the street 3 years ago.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
There's one closing in my neck of the woods, and I am surprised it took this long. Kmart already vacated across the street 3 years ago.

Are you in East Brunswick?? Grew up in Old Bridge from NYC.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

One knows that the economy is bad and there are bad times in the air when Home Depot and Starbucks are experiencing difficult ec·o·nom·ic times.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Lazy, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly why I want to remain in the over-priced city. There are three really cool family-owned hardware stores within walking distance. Paid ten bucks recently for a coffee mug, didn't mind a bit.
In the thirty three years we've lived in our house I can't count all the big box stores that have come and gone. These guys are like ambulance chasers, always moving with the flow of new construction.

In all that time two local neighborhood hardware stores have survived and are still kicking. They usually beat the big box stores on price too for some common stuff like pipe fittings and electrical items. Their specialty is having repair parts for a lot of plumbing fixtures that are common to our area.

I'm just trying to think of all the big box stores that once were, but are no longer in our area.......

Busy Beaver
Mr How
Builders Square
Central Hardware
Hechingers

Some of my favorite lumber yards fell victim to these turkeys too.

These guys were all big chains with half a dozen stores in town, and now their gone. With that kind of track record I would imagine it won't be too long till Lowes and Home Depot follow in their footsteps.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #10

I like Lowe's much better than Home Depot. Hopefully they don't go downhill. HD just reminds me of another junk store without the character of an old neighborhood hardware store. There seems to be a HD every few miles around here, but I would drive past three of them to get to Lowe's. The family run hardware store near me is pretty good too, but the people seem to have an attitude.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #11

The two closing in Ohio are in my neighborhood. When they close (each about 22-25 miles away in different directions), I think the closest one will be about 50-60 miles.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I like Lowe's much better than Home Depot. Hopefully they don't go downhill. HD just reminds me of another junk store without the character of an old neighborhood hardware store. There seems to be a HD every few miles around here, but I would drive past three of them to get to Lowe's. The family run hardware store near me is pretty good too, but the people seem to have an attitude.
I have both a Lowe's and a Home Depot close to my house, and I regard them as more or less interchangeable big box stores.

What I really like is the Ace Hardware down in the Garden District. Most Ace Hardwares don't do a thing for me, but this one is just so full of things that are hard to find elsewhere. It's amazing what Frank and I come across in that store, though the prices are higher than prices at the big box stores and though it is not very close to where I live.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #13

I'd think they'd do better now since people would be more inclined to DIY maintenance and renovations rather than move or hire contractors. Apparently not the case.

A HD just opened six months ago 15 minutes away, a Lowes is 10 minutes the other way. Like Want2Retire, to me they are interchangeable. The local old-time hardware store with wood floors has an attitude and did nothing to encourage me to come back.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think Lowes and HD are basically interchangeable too, but in some areas you will see one managed a lot better than the other. So I can definitely see why someone would favor one over the other locally, but IMO you shouldn't hold to that nationally.

To tie this to another thread, to a degree I think this is true with Walmart and Target. Generally I think Target > Walmart in terms of nearly everything but price, but there are some areas where the Walmart store is better all around that the local Target. Not too many though, from my experience.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Are you in East Brunswick?? Grew up in Old Bridge from NYC.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think Lowes and HD are basically interchangeable too, but in some areas you will see one managed a lot better than the other. So I can definitely see why someone would favor one over the other locally, but IMO you shouldn't hold to that nationally.
In my particular case, the nearest HD has helpful knowledgeable staff, the Lowes did not appear to have any employees at all.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
These guys are like ambulance chasers, always moving with the flow of new construction.

In all that time two local neighborhood hardware stores have survived and are still kicking.
yup, only it isn't just new construction. they especially love up & coming rehab areas like mine. thus the three of them within almost walking distance.

we used to have three really good family-run hardware stores but only one has survived the bigbox onslaught. nice people too. i was just there a few weeks ago. good to see that they are still locally popular.

meanwhile according to The Home Depot

Quote:
The closing stores represent less than 1% of the Company's existing store portfolio...The Home Depot intends to grow square footage by approximately 1.5 percent per year.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote