Home espresso machine worth it or likely to collect dust?

My lovely espresso machine was a splurge, but one of the best ones I have ever made. Great coffee, I often consume a cup in place of a dessert. (Caffeine is much less harmful to me than sugar.)

After I retired, I realized that using my new found time to eat good food and drink was not only good for me in terms of health, but also in terms of my enjoyment of life. Like others above, I find that most gadgets are a waste of time - good basic tools are the most useful. But, the espresso machine is an exception to the rule. :D

There is a social aspect to the local coffee joint, and I do enjoy wandering down there for a cappuccino (they do it so much better than I do) and to see who is around for a chat.

Last edited:
DH uses a Nespresso machine almost everyday. He really likes the machine and the espresso, plus if I squint real hard he looks a little like this man, whose ad in Switzerland made me buy it:

And they say we men are shallow and overly influenced by how a woman looks. :D

On my second cheaper Delonghi expresso machine, does ESE pods or regular ground coffee, can't remember but it was $100-$120, have a Braun burr grinder, mostly Peets beans,make coffee a few times a day, wake up DW with a cup in the morning, gets her in a good mood. Absolutely do not save money but have a lot of really great coffee.

Last edited:
Since many of us enjoy someone else making our treats and live within a 10 minute walk to several excellent coffee houses, it doesn't seem necessary to make any capital investment at all.

In an average week I will go to Starbucks once or twice with my GF down in her beach community, go to 2 coffee houses downtown,
and maybe two more in my home neighborhood.

Love a good Americano, but it's a treat that I'd rather go get as an "outing."

I bought a stainless steel espresso machine for about 400 at a starbucks in circa 1999. It was really a rebranded saeco. I've moved multiple times, lugged it to various offices as i changed jobs, and it still sits on my desk with use daily. Not a problem in 15 years. Worth every penny to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We had a commercial grade one (not automatic) plumbed in at the wet bar in our house in Austin from about 1995 to 2005. I enjoyed it very much and DH became quite the barista.

Then we sold our house and moved into a motorhome. No room for the espresso machine, so we sold the setup. I had to switch to drip coffee. After a year or two DH insisted on getting a top end small ceramic burr grinder (Vario by Baratza) which we had in the motorhome. The grind is huge part of a quality coffee experience.

When we moved into a new house, it was small, so we still didn't have room for an high-end espresso machine. Not willing to give up the counter space. So we have stuck with our motorhome setup.

The coffee is very good though, and we have a little milk frother (import) that adds just the right touch of foam. We don't even bother to heat the milk. Works great.

I'm happy to enjoy my good coffee at home, unless I'm in Europe where almost everyone makes great coffee. Vienna - here we come!

P.S. I hate the coffee prepared at Starbucks. I don't think their folks in Texas or the Southeast ever learned how to do things right. I do buy beans occasionally. Their Sumatra beans are excellent - both caf and decaf. French roast beans will do if we run out of what we order from Hunter Bay Coffee Roasters in Lolo Montana.

Last edited:
I bought a Delonghi Magnifica automatic espresso maker a couple of years ago - one of my best purchases ever. I mainly use it to make Americanos on weekend mornings, and I can't tell you how much I look forward to those coffees. It definitely takes it up a level from the drip coffee experience.

DH uses a Nespresso machine almost everyday. He really likes the machine and the espresso, plus if I squint real hard he looks a little like this man, whose ad in Switzerland made me buy it:

And they say we men are shallow and overly influenced by how a woman looks. :D
Some of the ads star Penelope Cruz. :) I didn't buy mine because of either of the two, but Penelope's accent reminds me of DW.

When we lived in NY there was a nice coffeehouse nearby where I bought fresh coffee beans and would enjoy an afternoon espresso. Where we live now there are only a couple of Starbucks but they seem mostly venues for job interviews, real estate encounters and first dates. Not a place to sit and watch the world walk by.

I bought a Nespresso, it paid for itself in less than a year and gets a real workout. We added a milk frother, I don't use it but DW does and so do my daughters when visiting.

We were given a pretty nice espresso machine by a friend who got one as a gift from another friend. The other friend got it as a gift also. We used it a few times and gave it to a friend as a gift (they wanted to try one). I suppose it will make its way back around to us someday. :LOL:

Have a small moka pot, espresso machine, drip machine, old style corning ware percolator, samovar, and have made "cowboy coffee" with just a sauce pan. All were purchased at resale shops, yard sales, or given to us. They all work and make good, slightly different coffees. You've got time, its not an emergency, and you can always use just a pan to make coffee so shop around and find a used one. I'd never pay even $100 for a coffee machine unless I won the lottery. And yes, I need to downsize at some point!

Graduated from a plain Mocha Pot to a mid range Saeco that DW and I both love. If you are a coffee lover like we are then this is a great investment. Much cheaper to operate that the k-cups as there are only beans to add. The machine does take some maintenance (but I kind of enjoy tinkering with it). We have decided that if this Saeco ever dies - we will be getting another one quickly.
Makes a smooth cup of coffee

I have a Saeco (Aroma) that I use every day. I've had one for about 15 years. If you drink expresso every day or even only on weekends then highly recommend it.

It really depends on you.

I bought a Rocket Cellini Evoluzione espresso machine and Mazzer Mini grinder a few years ago. These were quite a splurge for me but I use them every single morning. Within 15 minutes, I can enjoy far better espresso drinks than can be had almost anywhere. I don't drink as much coffee as I used to but I almost never have coffee out of the house now since it pales in comparison with what I can make at home!

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I was hesitant to spend $500 on a new machine but I just got the model I wanted from Woot for $225 (refurbished) so figured it was worth a chance. If we don't use it I'll just craigslist it.

Out of stock now, but this is what I bought. So far, seems nice. There is some fine-tuning required to get a good espresso. It's not as simple as making drip coffee.

http://home.woot.com/offers/brevill...485850&utm_medium=affiliate+-+Product+Catalog

Last edited:
Are their big differences in the brands? I saw a Mr. Coffee espresso machine at thrift shop but I didn't buy it since I have never tried espresso. As long as I have a garage I have room for new to me kitchen gadgets to try out. :)

Missed the thread when it came out...

DW LOVES her machine... she uses it a lot and has for many years.... does not do the milk thing.... just likes very strong coffee...

We are already on our second one... first was a woot but eventually stopped pumping the water.... now on the second which I had to buy new as she would not wait for woot to bring another one out....

I do not drink coffee, so don't care...

Are their big differences in the brands? I saw a Mr. Coffee espresso machine at thrift shop but I didn't buy it since I have never tried espresso. As long as I have a garage I have room for new to me kitchen gadgets to try out. :)
If you are not an espresso fan, how would it make sense to spend even $10 on an espresso machine?

Ha

If you are not an espresso fan, how would it make sense to spend even $10 on an espresso machine?

Ha

Just to try it. Maybe I would like it. People spend $10 to see movies and movies do not have any resale value. I like kitchen gadgets. What would it cost to buy an espresso from Starbucks to try it? $6? Why not just buy the whole machine for the same price.

Last edited:
Just to try it. Maybe I would like it. People spend $10 to see movies and movies do not have any resale value. I like kitchen gadgets. What would it cost to buy an espresso from Starbucks to try it? $6? Why not just buy the whole machine for the same price.
Given that pov, I guess you are correct. But one cannot really equate the shot made by an inexperienced person on a consumer machine with one made by an experienced barista on expensive equipment. It takes pink hair and many tattoos to create a good shot.

Ha

Last edited:
Given that pov, I guess you are correct. But one cannot really equate the shot made by an inexperienced person on a consumer machine with one made by an experienced barista on expensive equipment. It takes pink hair and many tattoos to create a good shot.

Ha

That may be true for many people but since I have plebian tastes and buy my wine from Grocery Outlet, I suspect I could not tell the difference between homemade and barista espresso either.

I had a cheapo home unit. Gave it to Goodwill...

I don't believe consumer-grade units get hot enough. Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with my $40 drip machine...

That may be true for many people but since I have plebian tastes and buy my wine from Grocery Outlet, I suspect I could not tell the difference between homemade and barista espresso either.
You need to buy a special grind espresso like Illy Cafe pre-ground in a can. Then there is a remote chance you might get something like espresso, but I still don't see the point.

I think the ambiance has a lot to do with your enjoyment as well--

Get up get dressed, drive thru traffic to the shop. Wait your turn at the counter, shell out the $$$. Try and find a place to sit and enjoy it before it gets cold.

As opposed to:

Load/plug in the machine. Make your own coffee. Lounge around in your threadbare bathrobe sipping coffee, reading the paper, and scratching where ever it itches...

I have debated this for years. I do love a well made espresso drink (quad Americano, short cup), and I bet I could put this into a spreadsheet and cost justify it pretty quickly. However, I do love the morning walk to one of the three local coffee shops, seeing the regular crew behind the counter, having them make my favorite coffee drink, and enjoying it either in the shop or on the walk home. I know they can make it just the way I like it, and I'm not sure I have the patience to do the same. Plus, there is a social aspic to it that I'd miss.

Most likely, I'd still do the walk a few times a week, and just drink more espresso while at home. Also, given my taste in kitchen gadgets, I probably wouldn't be able to settle for a reasonably priced one.

I think the ambiance has a lot to do with your enjoyment as well--

Get up get dressed, drive thru traffic to the shop. Wait your turn at the counter, shell out the $$$. Try and find a place to sit and enjoy it before it gets cold.

As opposed to:

Load/plug in the machine. Make your own coffee. Lounge around in your threadbare bathrobe sipping coffee, reading the paper, and scratching where ever it itches...

Oh how true. I have to admit that the best part of the day is after I get the dogs fed and out is my pot of Starbucks Sumatra, freshly ground, with the ever shrinking local newspaper. Yes, I get news from the web but there's nothing like a paper, good coffee, and quiet on the deck. Well, I can hear the faint hum of all those poor bastards driving to work. I also have a Nespresso machine for the occasional expresso in late afternoon. Have contemplated the fancy real machines but just seems too inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom