Join Early Retirement Today

Home espresso machine worth it or likely to collect dust?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home espresso machine worth it or likely to collect dust?

Looking at a $500 semi-automatic espresso machine for the kitchen. We drink drip coffee 7 days a week. When we're travelling, we get lattes at starbucks, but rarely when we're at home due to the poor value of paying $4 for coffee.

Is this the sort of thing that's cool for a year and then just collects dust?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Forget it.
Same category as the bread machines mentioned in another thread.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ours -a wedding gift- collected dust until we gave it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

I've had 3 different espresso machines - ranging from a cheapo braun one to a midrange saeco one that was a few hundred bucks on sale. We end up using our moka pot more often. If you want steamed/frothed milk Bodum sells a milk frother thing - it looks like a french press but the plunger has a finer mesh screen. You heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave then plunge it to froth it.

We make moka pot coffee all the time - it's very similar to espresso (though technically not - since it isn't brewed under the 15 bars of pressure or whatever the official standard is.) It's easy and cheap.

Moka pot:
http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expre...words=moka+pot

milk frother:
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1446-01U...m+milk+frother
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Ours -a wedding gift- collected dust until we gave it away.
Of course, finding someone in this situation and buying it for pennies on the dollar might also be an option, but it may take time and effort to find such a "motivated seller".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've had 3 different espresso machines - ranging from a cheapo braun one to a midrange saeco one that was a few hundred bucks on sale. We end up using our moka pot more often. If you want steamed/frothed milk Bodum sells a milk frother thing - it looks like a french press but the plunger has a finer mesh screen. You heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave then plunge it to froth it.

We make moka pot coffee all the time - it's very similar to espresso (though technically not - since it isn't brewed under the 15 bars of pressure or whatever the official standard is.) It's easy and cheap.

Moka pot:
Amazon.com: Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker: Stovetop Espresso Pots: Kitchen & Dining

milk frother:
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1446-01U...m+milk+frother
+1 on the moka pot (the one my grandmother used) and separate milk frother.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Since many of us enjoy someone else making our treats and live within a 10 minute walk to several excellent coffee houses, it doesn't seem necessary to make any capital investment at all.

In an average week I will go to Starbucks once or twice with my GF down in her beach community, go to 2 coffee houses downtown,
and maybe two more in my home neighborhood.

I particularly meet interesting people in one place very near to The Pike Place Market, where in summer I meet many interesting tourists from all over.

Cocooning, or whatever it was called, just doesn't turn me on.

Ha
Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My neighbor bought one a couple of weeks ago, he hasn't been able to sleep since. Don't think it will last much longer.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've got one and really enjoy it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is just hot water and ground coffee. It takes a $500 machine to do that? We still have a food processor we never use. It looked like a good idea until we realized it wasn't.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
It is just hot water and ground coffee. It takes a $500 machine to do that? We still have a food processor we never use. It looked like a good idea until we realized it wasn't.
LOL - I used my food processor 3 times yesterday.
1) - blending pie dough.
2) - mixing up the pumpkin pie filling.
3) made some pesto.

(Have to say - I'm not a fan of washing all the gizmos... but it makes the food prep process easy - especially pie dough)
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have a midrange Saeco (Aroma) that I use several times a day, pretty much whenever I want a coffee. I hardly use the old Melitta filters or french press any more. I've had this thing for several years now.

If you use it solely for making half-caf soy lattes, light on the foam, extra cinnamon on top, then, yeah, it will get old quickly and become one with the FoodSaver and the Bella Cucina Waffle Maker. If you recognize that you can use it for pretty much any cup-o-joe, er, caffe americain or whatever, it is really convenient for fresh brewing single cups on demand, and way cheaper per cup than that swoopy plastic capsule 'brewing' (instant whatever in a plastic cup) machine.

Mine sits on the counter next to the little Hario grinder and sealed containers of french roast and decaf beans. I just checked, and I made two cups of regular and two decaf today, no foam...

I believe I'll have another...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Those capsule machines are not as good as expresso or a drip machine, in my opinion.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use our food processor and stand mixer every week or two, because we like to cook, so I could see us using this appliance. But I could also see it falling out of favor.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I make a latte (regular or iced in the summer) for my wife every morning. We keep a few different flavors of syrups on hand, so there's lots of variety. She loves it, and says it's better than Starbucks.

Costs under $1 a serving, so it's saved us a lot of money, but it takes a little over 10 minutes to make each drink and clean up.

I have this machine (and a breville grinder), it's been going strong for about a year now.
Café Roma Espresso Machine | Breville
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Use my Nespresso every day.

Very little work. Not it's not as nice as stuff you can get at Peetes or wherever but I don't have to walk over to it, though it's probably not a bad idea to do so.

I have a cup before work. When I'm FIRE'd in a couple of weeks, I guess I could just walk to the cafe occasionally. But would have to deal with rush hour traffic and workers trying to grab lattes and so forth on their way into work.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

We found ours in the clearance section of Home Depot, $50. We use it several times per month, Starbucks Lattes are pushing $6 dollars here so it has more than paid for itself. We do enjoy the occasional Starbucks for a treat.
JTOrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a $500 Gaggia super automatic espresso machine. Wife and I love it. Used it everyday for over 4 years and still running great. Mostly Americano style with coffee from Sleepy Monk in Cannon Beach Oregon. Great for entertaining friends and family too.

Recommend it only if you desire quality taste and high quantity of drinks and minimal prep/clean up time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We've had our espresso machine for 15 years and probably used it a dozen times, even though we have espresso drinks a couple times a week. I've just newer been able to make espresso at home that was even as good as Starbucks, much less like any of our local independent coffee houses. I'd sell you our like new Braun for 10 cents on the dollar if it wasn't such a hassle to arrange...best of luck.

After wasting a few bucks when we were younger, we've learned that less is more in the kitchen for us. We'd rather have the best quality basic versatile cooking tools than any of the specialized tools. We rarely use our food processor, immersion blender, mandolin, bagel slicer, ricer, espresso machine, warming plates, pasta maker, etc. The added productivity usually doesn't justify the cost, space or (especially) subsequent cleanup for home cooks like us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33184978_614.jpg (33.6 KB, 7 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a Delonghi espesso maker used for about $600 (retails for over $1000 in China) about five years ago and it was one of our best household purchases ever. DH and I are both coffee addicts. I will splurge on another one if/when this one ever dies.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote