Join Early Retirement Today

Home intercom replacement?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Home intercom replacement?

So our house has one of those 18 year old Nutone intercoms, with a base unit in the livingroom/kitchen area and stations in all four bedrooms with one at the front door.

Unfortunately, it LOOKS like an 18 year old cheesy intercom and the radio part, which nicely distributes music through all the bedroom stations (and also was blasting our tunes out the front entryway until I noticed and turned that speaker off...), has either a dirty tuner or some other problem, because its got some static in the music and when you move the tuner knob you get all sorts of scratchy static out of the speakers.

I was thinking of replacing it with one of the newer models with a digital tuner, but dang...they want $500-600 and up for a basic model and $800-1000 for one with a cd player!

What I'd really like is something a bit beyond an intercom and radio. Be nice if it had a screen, could act as a digital photo frame, play mp3's/videos and maybe even act as a kitchen calendar/recipe file/etc.

I looked for a while, but I had no luck finding either a cheap intercom replacement or something like a "wall computer".

Anyone replace one of these things anytime recently and come up with anything interesting?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like I had the same system (and same problems) in the last house.
About every 6 months I pulled all the units out far enough from the wall so I could spray the tuner, and everything else with tuner cleaner. That would eliminate the scratchy sound for a while. I updated the system by wiring my CD player (which was on the other side of the room) to the main unit.
It worked good, but still looked old..Maybe paint it lime green??

Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Our Radio Shack power-line based intercom (like this one) just broke, so I'm also looking for a replacement. That did the job, but I don't recommend it.

I've found that WD-40 works even better than tuner cleaner at eliminating scratchy tuners.

Typical intercom conversation:

"What's for dinner tonight?"
... pause ... "Hey, I was taking a nap and you woke me up!"
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I looked for a while, but I had no luck finding either a cheap intercom replacement or something like a "wall computer".
Sounds like a fun hack project. Personally, I would go for pneumatic tubes, but have you looked at something like the Nokia 770? Cheap (around $100), Linux-based, touch-screen, high rez, WiFi, built-in speaker and mic, etc.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Shoot. I forgot that i have at least two 3com/ergo Audreys kicking around somewhere...

Except I dont think they'd be good at music distribution or getting my wifes attention when she's upstairs watching Oprah and I wanna know where the #$%# she put something
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #6

I've got an Audrey someplace -- too big, I think. The Nokias are about 5.5"x3.1"x0.7". You could mount one on a plate and probably still have room for a webcam.

But wouldn't you rather have pneumatic tubes? "Honey, dinner is ready. And here it comes!"

Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If we had a central vacuum, I'd convert it to tubes.

They're sort of worthless unless you can fit a person in one.

Funny, I was just watching a tv show last week set back around 50-60 years ago and everyone was using the pneumo. Forget what it was now.

We had them in one of my early jobs developing automation software for a jewelry company. I miss the days of being patted down every time I left work...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Since we're talking about old crap, check this one out...

The honeywell "kitchen computer" was made in 1969 and sold for $10,000 at Needless Markup...er...Niemann Marcus.

It was made with the vague intention of storing and regurgitating recipes, but since all it had was toggle switches and a bunch of lights, its unclear how the average homemaker was to make use of it. It was feasible to attach a teletype to it, but it doesnt seem that anyone went that far.

NM sold exactly zero of these alleged "status items".

The Honeywell H316 Kitchen Computer
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

DW and I call each other on our cell phones while in the house probably 4 times per week. It works well enough.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
DW and I call each other on our cell phones while in the house probably 4 times per week. It works well enough.
Hey..... that's our system too! The calls are free. We're wearing our cell phones most of the time anyway. One key item....... be sure to set a unique ring tone for each other different from other callers so DW knows it's just you and not some important call.....like a girl friend or her mother.....
Old 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A no-go for us. We've got prepaid cell phones that cost us on average about $50 a year.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So our house has one of those 18 year old Nutone intercoms, with a base unit in the livingroom/kitchen area and stations in all four bedrooms with one at the front door.

Unfortunately, it LOOKS like an 18 year old cheesy intercom and the radio part, which nicely distributes music through all the bedroom stations (and also was blasting our tunes out the front entryway until I noticed and turned that speaker off...), has either a dirty tuner or some other problem, because its got some static in the music and when you move the tuner knob you get all sorts of scratchy static out of the speakers.

I was thinking of replacing it with one of the newer models with a digital tuner, but dang...they want $500-600 and up for a basic model and $800-1000 for one with a cd player!

What I'd really like is something a bit beyond an intercom and radio. Be nice if it had a screen, could act as a digital photo frame, play mp3's/videos and maybe even act as a kitchen calendar/recipe file/etc.

Anyone replace one of these things anytime recently and come up with anything interesting?

fuzzy if your interested in staying with nutone im a nutone distributor and for all your efforts and the abuse you take on these boards ill help you out at my cost. e-mail me at mathjak107@aol.com
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Uniden has a cordless phone system that can have 10 extensions, You can call one or all of them with a special ring: Costco ($100 for starter set of 3 with answering machine).

I also saw a special on a central entertainment system that piped MP3 music to any room plus the home control screen would also control lighting and appliances. The controllers were bigger than Nutone though and would need some drywall work.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You remember the name of that central entertainment system? Was it at costco?

We have one of the phone systems with built in intercoms. I get calls from Gabe all the time.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
be sure to set a unique ring tone for each other different from other callers so DW knows it's just you and not some important call.....like a girl friend or her mother.....
Why is your girlfriend calling your wife?

You must have a much more open marriage than I do!

-ERD50
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would have to get DIVORCED to "replace" my home intercom system.........the one I have works just fine, I can hear DW anywhere when she "calls", even outside when she's inside.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I want in an intercom system:

1. Up to four stations around the house
2. Each station has one button for Talk and one for Listen.
3. You push the Talk button and say "What's for dinner?" (broadcast to all stations) and then you push the Listen button.
4. The person replying does not have to push any buttons, just says: "Spaghetti."

Is a system like that available?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
4. The person replying does not have to push any buttons, just says: "Spaghetti."
Even if it was, you'd just hear "Whatever you're cooking!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yeah, mine kinda does that. Theres an on/off toggle for 'monitor' on each remote station, and by pressing 'talk' you can 'send' to any station that has its volume turned on. Anyone who talks in a room with the 'monitor' on can talk and be heard on every other station.

The only problem comes when the volume on one in one room is turned up too loud. The stuff coming out of the speaker in one room is picked up by the mic in the other room and it starts a cascade that very quickly escalates to a loud shrieking squeal. Very bad. The first time i did it produced a "WTF is THAT?!?"

FD - So your wife would divorce you for buying a lexus or replacing an intercom...perhaps you need a little less forum time and a little more relationship counseling if your wife is on a hair trigger divorce system...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FD - So your wife would divorce you for buying a lexus or replacing an intercom...perhaps you need a little less forum time and a little more relationship counseling if your wife is on a hair trigger divorce system...
I was being facetious.......I have neither a Lexus nor an intercom, and I am happy with that for now..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote